The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cold Start "Cough":
    I've got a 2017 Manual AT with 8,000 miles. The bike has developed an annoying cold starting habit over the past years. It will start immediately, then will "cough" or slightly mis-fire a couple times during the first minute or two. It will happen both while idling or riding off within that first couple minute time period. It almost sounds like a slight backfire through the carbs, but is totally gone after a few minutes. Any thoughts???
  2. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 16 does the same thing. So does my buddies 16.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  3. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '17 did that sometimes. Even had a couple times where it would die as a result. Always found get it started and running though. My '19 doesn't do it that I can remember.
  4. Olderslowerguy

Olderslowerguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 17 also does that. But it didn't start until I had over 20K miles on it. I just give it a little gas on startup and that seems to keep it from stalling. Other than that, the bike has been flawless!
    Honda-50 likes this.
  5. rustynut2

rustynut2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine does the same and a bunch of others on the africa twin forum. Doesn't do it all the time but when it happens its usually 2 coughs and then I'm gone. Guess they run so lean for emissions.
  6. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    perhaps run some Sea Foam in your gas and clean the injector.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  7. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was going to say SeaFoam or Marvel mystery oil
  8. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it sounds like this is a common issue with some of the early bikes. It's not really a "problem" just more of an annoyance...
    Wood1 likes this.
  9. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My my18 sometimes fires into the air box. Not every ride and it always happens during deceleration. Once it died when holding the clutch and moving. Airbox drain tubes drained.
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've posted about this misfire before (I've got an '18) and barely got a response, but it seems like people are coming out of the woodwork in this most recent post about this issue. I guess more people than I thought have me on ignore. :lol3

Anyway, based on my experience the fuel cleaner/additive won't help at all. Two things that might help, after turning the ignition on, give the throttle a full twist to the stop and release before starting, and maybe a decent throttle blip right after starting.
  11. Wood1

Wood1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have opened and closed the throttle 1/4 “ - 1/2” after turning on the key. Seems to prevent it from happening.
  12. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    Clean the start/kill switch its got crap around the contacts
  13. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So i rode my buddys 2017 AT on sunday as part of a "test ride" before buying one. I rode about 60 miles of florida twistys and some back roads. Loved it but he definitely has a shimmy from 39mph down . The bars shake (not violently) when you slow down or even coast down
    We check forks, air pressure, spokes, wheel bearings and the wheel has weights.
    He has a brand new Shinko 705 tire on it.
    can anyone think of a possibility to this shimmy? i told him to rebalance the wheels maybe who ever did it didnt do it right?
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on what you’re experiencing, ATS with the stock suspension can have a feeling of fork bobble below 35ish with insufficient preload on the rear (generally the suspension should be run near full stiff f/r if stock and a standard 200lb+ NA male).

I also had a fork shimmy running shinko 705s if i took my hands off the bars. Never caused an issue in 8k miles of running, chalked it up to the scalloped front tread pattern on a narrow tire.
    Jibby likes this.
  15. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for not reading through the thread completely but kinda on a time limit here at work. Im gawking at larger adventure bikes, like Stroms, Super T and the Africa Twin. I had looked at more exotic offerings, but honestly im at the point in my life where reliable trumps everything and is more important to me than saving 12 pounds etc..
    I have found a AT DCT (2017) with 37K on it.. seems like high miles but I do not know how this DCT system works in terms of longevity.. for example I know with the manual tranny simply swap out plates, or maybe a basket if im having issues. What is the long term review of the DCT does anyone have some serious miles on one? Not sure I want to go DCT, but they seem to be about the only used ones I ever see at a reasonable price. at 37K I imagine the AT to have many miles left, thoughts? Thank you!
    simmons1 likes this.
  16. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 DCT with an embarrassing 6k miles on it but I haven’t heard any long term issues with the DCT. In fact a good argument can be made that the computer controlled shift points will outlast a ham fisted rider on a manual clutch.
  17. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    I had a brand new 705 front tire that was bad, had a shimmy that increased with brake pressure.
    You could see the tire wasn’t running true with the front end off the ground.
    I’ve sworn off Shinkos.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  18. f4fast

f4fast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5BAA6DAB-0945-48EC-BFF3-57330B4C9522.jpeg
    I have a 2017 with the same 705 front tire and have no shimmy at all. It howls a little, but has been steady on deceleration. I still have stock springs and weigh 220 in gear , so I have the preload maxed out front and rear. Maybe too little front preload has the bike riding down in the travel which effects trail, possibly inducing a wobble?

I put McCruise cruise control on the bike, and I’m able to take both hands off the bars at lower speeds with no ill effects at all.

I’ve had the bike since new when the tri colors came out, and was a little underwhelmed by the bike since then. I bought it expecting to do the TAT when I retired with a buddy, who promptly got hurt, and backed out permanently.

Since then, I’ve ridden the bike without enthusiasm, as the bike was a little underwhelming riding on the streets of Long Island. I have limited experience on other bikes, with the majority of seat time on old Honda “F” bikes ( original owner). I previously did the California Superbikes school three times, and that BMW S1000RR blew me away each time. After each day was over,I found my self daydreaming about the seamless power everywhere, and that incredible engine. In comparison, the Africa twin seemed rather sedate and uninspiring. I know the bikes have different mission statements, I’m only mentioning the S1000 as an enthusiasm benchmark to quantify my feeling.

But this year I had the opportunity to spend the summer in the Adirondacks at a friends lakefront cabin, and the bike was outstanding riding on and off road there. All the farkles I had installed worked great and the bike was a pleasure to ride to explore the area. The crashbars and skid plate gave confidence when exploring the logging roads and acccess roads deep in the woods. The camel auxiliary tank gave me an emergency extra 1.7 gallons carried fairly low, and 300 mile capability. The bike gets high 40 to 50 mpg, which is great as well when exploring. It’s a huge advantage to be able to explore freely after you have already ridden 150 miles and are in the middle of nowhere. The Garmin xt was waaay better than the cheap garmin auto gps units I used previously. I was riding with some other guys, exploiting some twisty roads when they lost cell service in the middle of the mountains. They had no idea where we were, or even what direction we were headed. They were following a loaded route. Suddenly, I was the navigator. The XT was a huge improvement over what I had been using. It even had some off road access roads loaded in it, which was a tremendous help. The NYS troopers use forward facing radar upstate, and the cruise control made it easy to keep the speed at “9 over” to avoid unpleasant surprises, but ill admit , the flow of deer and other animals that constantly run in front of me , provides the greatest deterrent from going as fast as I’d like to go. I did over 4,000 miles in two months, and didn’t go out on known rainy days , but still rode in the rain plenty, but it wasn’t planned, it was just mountain riding reality. Still had plenty of time for fishing, kayaking and paddle boarding as well. The point of my diatribe here is to say that I like this bike better now than I ever did. I’m looking forward to riding it more, and mixing in some suspension work now ( and some better seat) that I’m approaching 17k miles. I know others have done way more impressive adventures and mileage, I’m just saying that for me, this bike delivers. Oh yeah, when you start the bike up, it runs a little rougher than is ideal till it warms up. I’ll blame lean emission calibration and the 270 degree crank for that. Did I mention that that engine sounds awesome in the woods? I really like the bike now..only took me 4 or 5 years...lol
  19. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ronandkat
    i found 2 AT's non-DCT that i was saving if the one close to me fails.
    on FB Marketplace he's in SC with some farkles about 6k miles he wants $9500
    a guy in GA Augusta, some farkles he's at $9500 obo i think he has like 5k miles on it
    both are 2017
    both are blue white and red with gold rims
  20. RichardJaAhTPFe8

RichardJaAhTPFe8 n00b

Oddometer:
    That is the best color.
    gammel likes this.