The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The '19 blue biased color scheme is my favorite. I'm fortunate enough to have one now too!

Attached Files:

Multimile likes this.
  2. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is good info, thank you!
  3. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    @f4fast what you learned to like about your AT is what I have always liked about my '17 AT. I really like the engine. After three years I began wanting a pure street bike and bought '19 CB1000R. That didn't do it for me, so it was traded for the 'wing.

While the AT is working better for you now, there still may be a time you want an S1000, and that would be ok.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    That's funny because I also find myself wanting another pure (sporty) street bike and have a bit of a lust fest going on with the 2021 cb1000r. But I don't think I can make that purchase without getting rid of my AT and I am not sure that I want to do that.

Out of curiosity, can you share some thoughts about how the AT and cb1000r compared for you comfort wise on longer rides? Your height?
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure thing. I loved the looks of the NSC CB1000R as it reminded me of my former 400Four and 550Four from back on the day. After a couple of rides, my hip was in pain and so I opened up the riding triangle with a slightly higher handlebar and Knight Design pegs. That wasn't enough. (I'm 5'8") So my CB would not be good for long rides. After about six months, I decided I wanted to do multi-state rides as I did with my former Concours 14 and the CB would not work for me. The new Goldwing has been something of interest. So one day, I ride the CB to a shop to see a gray 'wing. Within about 45 minutes I realized i wanted that bike.
  6. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eleven Years Ago: Honda started putting DCTs in the VFR1200F in 2010. I've never heard much squawking about it. It's in GoldWings, side-by-sides... it's everywhere. People love to complain about anything they can, but how many complaints about DCT longevity has anyone heard?

Honda-dual-clutch-transmission-dct-10-years.jpg

It's essentially the same components as a manual transmission, gears, clutch friction and steel plates. It's less likely to wear out because it doesn't slide the clutches as much as a human operator does.

You should definitely get the '17 if it's painted in metallic red. That, so far, was the only year for that color. Ride Red.
  7. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my new '17 AT a little over 2 years ago. Having owned a total of 54 motorcycles I tend not to hold onto them for very long, so 2 years is a LONG time for me. I don't have any real complaints about the AT but now find myself tempted by one of these. Of all the bikes I've owned, I've never had a BMW. The 2018 R1200 GS Rallye is a one owner bike with under 3,000 miles...

rallye-1.jpg
    Honda-50 and Bhart89 like this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Definitely scores high in the looks department.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  9. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, yes im researching it more and kinda impressed to be honest. Seems I need to get past that mental " Real Manly men, shift gears and feather clutches" thinking. This one has some dings on it, but overall if they come off a couple hundred I think I will get it.. It is not the Red one, its the red white and black
  10. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    buddy of mine have gs's they are awesome bikes but on maintenance days they take them down to the dealerships for valve checks or what nots and its usually around $1000 each time
    something about any "maintenance" has to be done by bmw or they void warranties ( just hear say so dont go shooting me )
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not in the US you don’t, one of our few solid consumer protection laws.

The DCT is also a game changer for happy 2up riding. My ‘16 is probably a write off after an accident a couple weeks back, and my GF (who was on it for the crash and got injured) is genuinely sad it might be finished - she loved riding on it, and we never knocked helmets.

The graphics on the ‘22 look real good though!
    unlimited_explorer and procycle like this.
  12. f4fast

f4fast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me, service concerns are a big reason why I prefer Honda’s. I tend to keep bikes, and service them myself. The reputations of the local BMW dealers didn’t inspire confidence of ownership for me. Paying a grand for service of anything I own is a big no no for me. To me, There is a reason that people lease new BMW’s ( autos), and dump them as soon as the factory warranty is over. Then the purchase price drops precipitously because of the price of parts and service. That’s why I never bought an S1000RR after riding them on the track and falling in love with that engine.

The Africa Twin is a tightly packaged product, and there isn’t a ton of room to work or fit accessory items on the bike. The McCruise cruise control had comprehensive instructions that had specific instructions regarding cable placement (inside one hose , outside another) because stuff is packaged so tight. No complaints, that’s reality with this bike. Even adding electrical components is real tight on this bike as battery access is limited.

My buddy has a 2016 DCT Africa Twin and he loves it , while my bike is a manual. I do a lot of loading bikes in a pickup, and I sure appreciate using the clutch ( bike not running) to control that big heavy bike while on a ramp going into the truck. And I like having that trick in reserve to control the bike on a bigger hill than I can bite off. The positives of an adventure bike also include being able to wear top notch protective gear instead of dressing like a pirate, and getting wet or roadrashed in case of a mishap.

If you are limited to one bike, I think an adventure bike does it all. Comfortable as a touring bike, capable off road when exploring, and the available farkles really enhance the riding experience. Those farkles may look silly on a different genre of bike. A real sport bike, like a BMW S1000RR or CBR1000RR May be viable for a younger rider as an only bike, but I don’t see how that works for a rider over 55 years old. The one downside I see to an adventure bike around town is the seat height. I’m 5’ 9” and adventure bikes are high and heavy to hold up around town. I think that factor was what dampened my enthusiasm for the bike around town. Adventure bikes are high and heavy at my size and age.

My wife rides her own SV650 and XT225, so passenger concerns are low for me, but a few rides on back, she let me know that the Africa Twin isn’t a comfy pillion platform in her opinion. So if your significant other rides on the back, it’s pretty cramped back there. Just my 2 cents.
  13. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just chiming in . Two up with my other half she likes the room . It's much better than Tracer 900/FJ 09. I even don't notice she's here . Having ridden BMW S1000R with ESA.... fantastic but pain after 200km.

I don't want to start flamewar but tried Gs 1250 for weekend and it's 2 times of price of AT and it doesn't shows. Only thing I hate about AT is air filter acces .
  14. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    on the vstrom you have to unbutton all the pop rivets, take off side panels, remove side plates and pull the tank to get to the air filter. The vstrom battery is just under the seat. easy access.
  15. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "The reputations of the local BMW dealers didn’t inspire confidence of ownership for me."
    It's just the opposite in my area. The local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealerships have quite a poor reputation while the BMW shop is top notch. Nothing against Honda and the AT, but GS ownership has always been an itch I've wanted the scratch...
  16. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '04 DL1000 was total pain. Even after getting all the way down to the air box, it had 8 bolts holding the lid on!

Due to the general poor reputation of kid mechanics everywhere, I do all of my own work on my bikes. I'm cheap too, and labor rates are absurd these days.
    f4fast and unlimited_explorer like this.
  17. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW of Jax is really a top knotch dealership.
    as of 2pm im officially a 2017 Africa Twin owner! woohoo!
    belrix, PistolPetey, Honda-50 and 3 others like this.
  18. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    so one thing this PO spray painted the chrome exhaust with black paint and it looks like shit and its not even heat resistant paint
    i ll be removing that. other than that im excited
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am just an inch taller than you. The Cb1000r is more open than my last pure street bike, a vfr1200f, but hip and knee bend is still a concern. Anyway, still really like my AT as an all-rounder,
    Just miss having super strong brakes and a tighter suspension on the street.
    motocopter likes this.
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brakes on the CB are awesome. I slowed and made turns that blew me away. Second gear wheelies are fun too.