The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actual Weight Differences
    We all hear a lot about which bike is heavier than another, and generally wanting to ride a lighter bike for "better/easier" handling. I'm considering selling my 2017 manual AT and buying a 2018 BMW R1200 GS Rallye. I've been wondering if I really wanted to buy another "heavier" bike. Then I did a bit of research. Three bikes I choose to compare were the BMW GS, Honda AT (manual), and the new Kawasaki KLR650. I think we can all guess the order of their wet weights, but I was VERY surprised by how relatively close they actually are to one another:
    BMW 538 Lbs
    Honda 502 Lbs
    Kawasaki 483 Lbs
    Thats a grand total of "only" 55 pounds that separate the GS from the KLR. That either means the GS is relatively light for a "huge" bike, or the KLR is VERY porky for a single cylinder dual-sport, with the AT straddling the line somewhere in the middle. And for final reference the KTM Adventure 890 comes in at 464 and the Yamaha Tenere 700 at 452. That's still less than 100 lbs from the "fattest" to the "skinniest". I know that riding "off-road" 50lbs of extra weight is very noticeable, but for the paved/gravel roads I ride I don't think it's a deal buster to be on the heavier bike.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that's all before you add crashbars and skid plates and accessories oh my.
    unlimited_explorer and SkipD like this.
  3. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride them and see what you like. A well handling heavier bike can be easier to ride than a poor handling lighter bike. I revalved and sprung the suspension on my AT and it became a lot easier to ride in rough stuff.
    windowto, neanderthal, troops and 2 others like this.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took a wrong turn on the fwy home today. I had an eye problem..

I just couldn't see going home and paying bills.

Attach21363_20210922_160819[1].jpg

20210922_161617[1].jpg
    windowto, neanderthal, gammel and 3 others like this.
  5. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fall weather in FL is finally here! I can't wait to ride the CRF. Been a busy week so far.
    im trying to pick up a Kendon Folding Trailer wish me luck but after this i will be broke AF!
  6. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second what @Northwoods Snowman said, because I know from experience I'm way more capable on my CRF1000 than I was on the two DL650s I borrowed from friends in the years before I bought it. Frame geometry and center of gravity can turn a pig into a thoroughbred.

You won't know what you're buying 'til you rode it around the yard.

EDIT: Ride your friends' bikes, especially if they weigh about the same as you and have a similar inseam; if you really want a comparison.

The Adventure Bike market is chasing a bunch of Gen-X hooligans with disposable income... There are a variety of body types in the target market. Fifty pounds one way or the other... where's the center of gravity?
    neanderthal likes this.
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the truth. My Africa Twin doesn't feel any more top heavy than my DR650 with it's big tank did. Mass centralization works.
  8. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can tell you from owning an 890 R it fells a lot lighter than all of them having the tanks down low is a game changer and in my opinion they don't need any extra crash protection adding weight where the others do. You will give up some highway comfort though in comparison to the AT and you can definitely feel the weight of the AT moving it around the garage. I am on a 2020 ATAS now, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't go anywhere on the 890R that I wouldn't on the AT, the 890 is way more capable off road but at my age I opted for the weight and comfort. The only must add on the 890 was a new seat. But I also have a 501 Husky so that helped with my decision
    Edit to add: the most important part of your decision is to be honest with yourself of what type of riding you are going to do with it
  9. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using 17" rims on their AT now? I'd like to know how you handled the traction control and ABS.

Suspecting that the TC could be turned off as well as the rear wheel ABS and things might be fine.
  10. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are you wanting 17" rims?
    William Wolfen likes this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    At least one person on here is running a 19-17 combo. If you search this thread you might be able to find it.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @procycle has the 19 front & builds em
  13. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Yup. Love my 19" front :ricky
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a spare set of wheels with my off road tires. Really like the AT and having some street tires could be a hoot in the TN/NC mountains.
  15. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of a sudden I'm very interested in this "idle control valve". My '17 DCT has been exhibiting some familiar (from reading this thread) behavior, and just tonight it had a bit of a freak-out.
    TL/DR; what exactly is the part description on that? Part number? I want to look it up. Might be the magic bullet.

Symptoms:
    Before and after the 16,000 valve service it would start, rumble, and poop out. I thought the new plugs would take care of that, but no luck. I assume the Honda shop set the idle speed as the service interval recommends, but that's an assumption.
    My work-around was to take up the slack in the throttle cables (because I have those!) and it would fire up okay, even first try.
    (It never gets below 55 degrees here, FYI.)

You and another inmate mentioned opening and closing the throttle. I started doing that after switching on the bike but before hitting the starter button; worked like a charm. Sometimes my method of holding the throttle just-about-to-open would result in a quick start and rev, where just opening and closing the throttle before starting would result in a perfect start and idle.

Tonight's freak out was: One attempt at a cold start, no throttle action (bike only parked for a couple hours), pooped out after the usual one-second. Gave it a quarter throttle open-and-close and started it, but the idle was way up around 2000 and wouldn't come down. Shut it off and restarted but still up there.

The DCT was very not happy with the high idle. I love my DCT, but this is one of their drawbacks, a stuck idle can keep you from getting into gear, and then where are you? Stuck.
    NOTE! Faulty engine management is not a faulty DCT! And I think this idle business is just on these old throttle bodies, with the cables.

I did get it into gear, but then it wanted to pull away from the curb. Totally not acting normal, acting like any other automatic with a high idle. I kept it in manual mode and it seemed okay with shifting, so it hadn't gone into a limp-home mode (I've experienced that.)

The only other weirdness was it was shifting in S1 way earlier than usual. I took a couple runs up and down a straight road in both "D" and "S1" and the shifting in D was just as I remember it, and the shifting in S1 was less ridiculously early than D, but still earlier than it was for the past couple years. I went into N and got it back in gear after a couple tries, then decided to let it rest overnight.

What am I thinking? I'm thinking it will start and run fine tomorrow morning. I'm thinking these cable controlled throttles have a history, and this is a bike that's behaving as if it doesn't know what position the throttle is in. Or it thinks it's moving at a higher rate of speed than it really is, but that seems unlikely. It was trying to pull away from the curb even with the ABS light on.
  16. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two pin connector with green and red/yellow wires? Under the rhs of my tank does anyone know what this two pin connector is for? 20210926_103303.jpg
  17. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the radiator fan motor connector
  18. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    So it would not be a good thing not to have plugged in. I will have to search for where the other half is
  19. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's no big deal as the engine seldom overheats to that level but having both fans run when needed is a good thing.
    The connection is behind the plastic shroud of the radiator and is best accessed when it is moved out of the way, a bit.

upload_2021-9-26_17-32-55.png
  20. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    Looking at my fan I see a black and black wire coming from it. But this connector has a green and red/yellow. Are you sure we are talking about the same wires?