The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    It might also a be a plug for OEM heated grips, if you have those. Either way, if it was meant to not be connected to anything it would have a dummy plug stuck into it so, something has come undone.
    neanderthal and DCTFAN like this.
  2. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks yes this is the oem right heater grip. The stealership who changed the oem ones for Oxfords ages ago must have conveniently forgotten to plug it when they removed the oem grips.
    I looked at the wiring diagram on a big screen when I got back from my lockup.
    Cheers..
  3. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love this bike! 167 mile loop for Florida sand, road and dirt/mud/gravel on my maiden ride today! traction control set to 1 seemed to do really well.
    ABS on/off i thought i d notice a big difference but it wasnt noticeable from what i did today
    Karoo 3 tires at 30lbs.
    Did i say i had a blast? its a big dirt bike!
    procycle, Bhart89 and DCTFAN like this.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. you'll notice the ABS when you're going down a hill (ya, i know you don't have much of that there) and you need to steer the back end with the brakes.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only other connector that fits the description is the OEM Heated Grip connector.
    But unless, someone messed with it, it should be plugged with a dummy connector when not in use.
    You can download the heated grip accessory installation pdf and check/confirm.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Someone on the AT forum shared a facebook post showing some guy in Austria ( I think) hitting 376000km on his '16 DCT. I think there is a pdf available of his maintenance log, but its through facebook and I don't do any facebook stuff so not sure what the details of that are.
  7. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:

6 year old bike…..72 months…….367000km hmmm. Over 5000km per month….. 1200km per week average…….hmmmm!
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

A serious fuel bill.

[​IMG]
    jeepgeek2002 and sailorjerry13 like this.
  9. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    I would go with this as your first option, the bike should fire up with no throttle and idle just fine does not matter the temp (sort of the whole point of a injected bike) if I were you I would also clean the kill switch and spray with a dielectric spray
    The high idle is an easy fix requires no parts and takes but a few minutes to fix, there are a number of write ups on it in here. You can go for either side of the shaft that runs through the throttle bodies. Left hand end has two screw adjusters and is harder to get to, right hand side is the small screw and lock nut down by where the throttle cables attach to the throttle body. Loosen and retighten (dont adjust the screw) the lock nut, problem will be solved. I have done this on a number of bikes seems to be a permanent fix, never comes back. The manual says its factory set and dont screw with it.
    Veeblefetzer likes this.
  10. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    This is my stats:
    5 year old bike…..60 months…….88623 / 142625 (mi/km) hmmm. Over 2377 km per month….. 550 km per week avg

PS my bike has seen 80/20 on/off road miles, but I kept no accurate record of maintenance.
    Just fixed what broke as it happened :)
    The only strict maintenance adhered to was regular oil changes and only with Honda GN4 oil (10/30)
  11. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i just noticed i got 48 mpg on that ride sunday. my vstrom 650 i get only 42mpg Tops!
    this is excellent imho! a big 998cc bike gets better gas consumption of dirt and road than a 650
    on that note.. the gas bars. When it dropped to 1 bar i thought i was close to the end of the tank but when i filled up it was only 3.5gals under so i really had 2 gals left?
    does the light flash when you hit "reserve"? Whats the top miles before looking for gas? 200?
  12. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    The fuel warning indicator flashes with +/- a gallon left.
    I have run the bike dry a few times, after flirting with the count down (0.7 to 0.3 indicated)
    neanderthal and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  13. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bottom bar does start flashing and the low fuel light comes on when you hit "reserve" that's supposed to be about 0.8 gal. I find milage highly dependant on how fast I'm going. I can get over 50mpg cruising dirt and gravel at 45-50. I can get down to 40ish when running 80+ down the freeway.

I'm not sure what year bike you have, but I found the bars in my '17 more accurate and useful than three ones in my '19, despite the '19 having more bars. Not sure what the deal is with that. Might just be in my head. I still worry more about milage. I use the subtraction trip set to 0 as a gas gauge.
  14. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    fixed my sig. the 2017 has 5 bars i didnt know the 18's only had 3
  15. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's 9 bars for the fuel gauge on the '18-'19 dash...
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  16. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    Yes thanks it was that. Think the dealership didn't plug it when they removed the oem grips in favour of Oxford ones.
    Thanks for your trouble.
  17. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Actually, I learned too. Will come in handy when I install heated grips this winter.
  18. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    Honestly buy the Oxford ones much better and wire in dependantly straight off the battery!
  19. bdalameda

bdalameda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shawn595, belrix and motocopter like this.
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Oxford grips keep turning off unless I've been riding non-stop for several minutes. They are not wired directly to the battery. And, the left grip has been thinking it's a throttle for a couple of years now. I've gotten used to it. :lol2