The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does CRF 1000 auto kills the engine when tipped ?

I just wonder
  2. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    probably its not a pumper carb thats for sure
  3. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i got a small inseam and im considering buying a sargents or Seat concepts low seat. for those that have them does it sacrifice comfort having a low seat?
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 30" inseam and do fine on my Seat Concepts comfort seat. Barely any harder to reach the ground. I also have upgraded suspension for proper sag.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  5. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's supposed to. I've only tipped over twice, and the first time I hit the handlebar kill switch before the bike shut down. The second time I got pinned down and didn't get to the switch before it shut down automatically.
    There's a tilt switch somewheres in the neighborhood of the top triple clamp, IIRC. You can find it on the wiring diagram, too; it's one of the things that can shut down the fuel injectors.
  6. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I read up on the Problems thread about some early bikes doing this, and the loosen/tighten but-don't-adjust thing was mentioned. (There's even a somewhat okay video!) That's definitely a couple wrenches that're going in my Aerostich pocket. The idle air control valve is a $175 part, plus getting everything off to install it, so I'm gonna try the cheap & easy stuff first.
    I made an appointment with my dealership on Friday, but maybe I can clear it up before then.

It hasn't calmed down of its own accord, like some owners report. You really gotta be ready to rock on that first get-go because it wants to dump the throttle even faster than usual, though that goes away after a few shifts.
  7. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the integrated temp control.

Are the grips softer than the Oxfords? My Oxfords are rock hard, and I'd prefer a softer compound.
  8. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a little experience with it. It will kill the engine, and then you just need to cycle the ignition off and on to reset it and it will restart. If you just pick the bike up and try to start it it won't.
  9. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I've got the Koso heated grips on my AT.

They work great and I find the grip texture to be good. They definitely are a bit bigger in diameter than the stock grips. Big enough to notice, but not really an issue.

The only drawback is the integrated controller works a bit too well. I often accidentally turn the grips on when riding technical terrain. Easy to hit it with your hand and not notice, until suddenly you realize your hands are sweating more than they should be...
    Shawn595 and simmons1 like this.
  10. bdalameda

bdalameda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Koso grips are very similar to the Oxford grips. I use a set of Grip Buddies over the grips.

https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/gallery.html
    belrix and Shawn595 like this.
  11. Easterntide

Easterntide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i Personally have the Koso's on my AT, and a set of Oxfords on my FJ1200 (1991). The Koso's are severly lacking compared to the heat of the Oxfords. i'll never buy those again although they look much better.
    windowto likes this.
  12. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking of selling my Africa Twin and downsizing. I don’t want a tall, heavy bike anymore and I want clean air hitting the cockpit. My short list is a newer SV650 or, maybe, a Tracer GT (if I can find one to even test ride).

Any thoughts? My main complaints with the AT are that the engine has just never managed to excite me, it handles like a tub in turns, wind management (even with a madstad) is atrocious, and I’m tired of dumping the bike because I can barely reach the ground.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want an exciting engine in a small light bike, I’d look at the MT07 before the SV - since that engine is widely considered one of the most smile inducing twins around.
    Good luck!
  14. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
    I don't have any bike replacement suggestions, but I do have some for improving the Africa Twin.

There's nothing I can suggest for the motor, you either like it or not. It's very nice if you ride off-road. Gentle, predictable power delivery keys the big beast under control.

The best wind management for me has been the stock windshield with a $35 Amazon deflector added to the top.

Suspension upgrades will fix the wallowing in corners. The stock springs are just way too soft. It was a really nice upgrade when I did it. My service twin got it immediately upon getting home, it's that big of a deal.

As for issues reaching the ground, I have a 30" inseam and can get both balls of my feet down, even with the suspension upgrades and seat concepts seat. No chance of flat footing it, but I don't need to. How short are your legs?

All that said, what do you really use the bike for? If it's not getting off pavement regularly, you could probably get a sport touring bike of some sort and be happy. I'm not familiar enough with them to make suggestions.
    neanderthal likes this.
  15. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    I ride 100% pavement. I’ve told myself and fantasized about riding off road and going all over the place, but the reality over the last four years is that I put a lot of miles on the bike through commuting and touring. Most of my riding is around 85 miles an hour and it is just… not pleasant. I never thought much of it until I rode a whole boat load of bikes this weekend and realized just how poor a fit my bike is for what I do and also how much fun small, light bikes are to push hard. I don’t want a lot of power, but I want it to be quick and fun to hang through the corners. The Africa Twin is fun to bounce around on, but it might be one of the poorer handling motorcycles Ive ridden at speed. Low speed maneuvers are great with it, but turn in is just miserably slow and I’m finding maintenance on the bike is becoming really frustrating. The tank recall didn’t fix sputtering and dying issues. Tires are difficult and expensive to get a hold of around here. They also don’t last long. Ive had issues with the front fork seals blowing prematurely and being ungodly expensive to fix. The front grip heaters were dead off the show room floor and took *six* visits between two different dealers to get fixed.

I like how it looks and I enjoy the bike, but you mix the issues I’ve had with it against the cost of consumables and I’m starting to look for something simpler, smaller, lighter, and less hassle, honestly. I also think a realistic look at my riding is happening.

A buddy told me I just need to go on a long ride and fall in love with the bike again. I tried the next day and just… really didn’t enjoy the ride. I rode a Vstrom 1050 this weekend that did absolutely everything better than my Africa Twin on the road except looks- it handled just so much better, was faster, (wind management was garbage), and didn’t have front brake dive and then I hopped on a T700 which was better in every way, and then I popped on a Tracer, a Hayabusa, an M109, a Katana, a Gsxr1000, 750, 600, DR650, DRZ400, and a SV650 and just went back to my bike and thought it was big, heavy, and boring, but damn does it sound good.

I just realized that if I’m not riding dirt, I really bought the wrong bike, although someone about to buy a 2020 ATAS said they fixed just about every problem I have with the bike.

I think the number of bikes I rode just kicked off sort of a mid life crisis of sorts. I might hop on the ATAS in a couple days and forget all about this, but I think a smaller, lighter bike would be more enjoyable for 85% of the riding I do.

I just worry about rain protection and storage options after being spoiled by not really needing rain gear on this thing and having 120 liters of storage on the back.

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
    gve.mcmlxxiv and MNRN OVERLAND like this.
  16. William Wolfen

Oddometer:
    If this is true, you need a Goldwing or another serious touring bike. The '18+ wings are actually fairly sporty, but they still aren't small or light. Honestly small and light doesn't fit with 85mph very well anyway.
    Shawn595 and neanderthal like this.
  17. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you still going to be riding 85mph with the smaller, lighter bike?
    William Wolfen likes this.
  18. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    I have absolutely no idea. I can skip the toll roads and go 60-70. I was flogging an sv650 most of the weekend and just can’t stop thinking about it, but I never really sat at 85mph on Highway.
  19. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    My street fixes are handily met by my ST1300 ABS ... trouble is it is damn difficult to keep it under 85 mph not to mention 100 mph. Not a smaller bike, but they sure shed their weight when you get going and are big fun to throw through the twisties.

They don't make 'em anymore but there are many for sale around the $6-7k range and they are about as low maintenance as you can get (if you don't include tires and brake pads - I tend to go through them pretty quick :-) ). Wind/elements protection is good and generous, the windscreen is powered and moveable, fit with an Aeroflow screen and laminar flow plate gives a nice dialable pocket at any speed and the saddlebags come off if you don't want them on.

You should try and get some seat time on one. With a set of Staintune or TwoBrothers pipes, they sound pretty awesome too.

HONDAST1300-5184_3.jpg

Good moto diversity to ya!
    Olderslowerguy likes this.
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    My former Concours 14 wanted to run 100mph all the time.