The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. BroncoDave

BroncoDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did do that
    The at looks big in most pics to me it's going to be a long time till I see one in person.
  2. Rick95

Rick95 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All

@ "frytown" :

I'm 2 meters "tall" (6ft 6.740158in) ; for 95 kgs (209.439149 lbs)
    During my 1h test ride I found more place between me and the handlebar on the AT than on the 800XC ('11) I own for 3 years.
    I think there'll be more place for duo too, the seat seeming longer for the "co-pilot"
    I write "there'll" because I'm replacing the 800XC by an AT DCT (HRC colors)
    I take the HB enhancer and the High Seat Option too
    During this short test -few hectometers on gravel- I felt that I'll venture adv -with knobby tyres...-
    (I never tried with the 800XC, which I felt like a "Roadster for the Tall Man" but not like an Adv Bike, even if the previous owner -a lot of more skilled than I am...- had travelled in Island on it)
    On Gravel, this '06 version seems easier than the RD03 (HRC Colors...)
    the centre of gravity seeming between the thighs with this new one...
    obviously lower than on the RD03...

I beg your pardon for my English cos I'm French
  3. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Bike enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very close . . . the wider seat on the S10 may affect ground contact of your feet:

[​IMG]
  4. erey

erey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few instructions - how to put out the plastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. BroncoDave

BroncoDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only have a 29 inseam so hopefully the narrow seat will help me be more secure at stops .
  6. Olmer

Olmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very easy. More than a 800 gs, and a lot more than a 990 ktm !
    MrKiwi likes this.
  7. Veetwin

Veetwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tiger for me, only my pov, felt like speed triple in adv clothes. In dimensions the AT is very close to the Varadero 1000, but way way lighter and slimmer, I was worried that the smaller frontal area compared to my Varadero would be a problem but it isn't, they did an amazing job particularly the screen.
  8. agent941

agent941 n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the AT tripmeter is adjustable vs just a zero out? In case you blow a turn and need to reset to the roll chart. Thanks.
  9. MotoMachines

MotoMachines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For anyone interested in luggage or protection for the Africa Twin, Hepco & Becker look to have their accessories just about finished up, and the accessories should be stateside within several weeks. Pictures below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ZXRaziel, Squily and Cycletech like this.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Some nice options there...
  11. True Adventure

True Adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All right. Just back from my first ride. My god man THIS THING IS AWESOME. Really. I have owned many bikes, several CRF450 and WR450, RD07 Africa Twin, TDM 850, KTM 950 ADV. This thing compares to none of them! It's so much better planted than the 950 AVD for example. Handling is sooooooo good. It feels like a moped. You can plant it wherever you want. So easy. I really like the cable cluch, very much feel, even with the slipper cluch. Always hated the hydraulic clutches on my KTMs. I even like the oem Dunlops on the street, ofcourse they are not designed for real offroad use. Power delivery is so smooth, more than enough. The cockpit is also a blast. I like the big gear indicator. Man I'm in love. What a bike. Honda has done it.
  12. PtoV

PtoV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. Pictures please.
  13. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear (again). If it's "more than enough" power, ultra-usable, and returns 50+ mpg's, that's an awesome balance. I'm much more for that these days, than the huge power numbers. Throw in the typical (IMO, anyway) Honda refinement, design and engineering, etc., and it oughtta' do well. Long-term reviews awaited.
  14. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Sooooo......your saying its just ok?:jack Kidding. How is the power compared to the 950ADV?

I got word yesterday my Red/manual AT was ordered thru Honda USA:raindance......now the wait. I was hoping to take it the 2016 Noobs Death Valley Rally but that's not going to happen. Well.....at least I'll try ride it to the Touratech Rally and later on the western half of the TAT :clap:raindance
    MrKiwi and timetoridw like this.
  15. speedysheep

speedysheep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put a deposit on a silver DCT at Dreyer Honda in Indianapolis. I think my surgically repaired left wrist will thank me.
    Who's next?
    Woody469 and MrKiwi like this.
  16. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    We'll I guess I'm officially an "owner" now. Ordered my red DCT today. I waited a year for my Super Tenere, so waiting 3-4 months doesn't seem too bad.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  17. briscoelab

briscoelab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a Silver DCT in MN yesterday. Pretty excited! Now, the waiting begins.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  18. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im very interested in a red DCT myself. Was the dealer willing "to deal" or pretty well list price. I know thats a personal question so I will understand if you don't reply.
  19. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the comparison to the 950,, can you say if its feel is because your sitting lower in the bike? lower COG? does the front end visually feel as bulky or maybe more like the 800gs? (you can see obstacles easier without having to look through so much fairing) You felt it was a better dirt bike than the 950? the cockpit is smaller than the 950? I always thought if they could have made the 950 about 9/10 the size I would really be happy. it seemed that bike was made for a 6'4" guy. Thanks for you perspective!
  20. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    My dealer ordered my red DCT at $700 below MSRP plus $268 in doc and title fees. He also threw in 10% off all accessories and all service for the life of the bike.