The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Is that an umbrella with a KTM handgrip strapped to the back? :D

Looks like you had an awesome trip! Now that I know the Africa Twin can accomplish the TAT, my bad-idea-mill is churning...
  2. DualDude

DualDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone explain what the different torque setting mean when it comes to riding the DCT?
  3. DualDude

DualDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone explain what the Torque settings on the DCT Mean?
  4. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCT torque setting levels (reading in the middle of the display):
    3 dashes means the injection will hold back when hitting a small speed bump too fast, very very very annoying
    2 dashes means the injection will hold back when hitting a quite large speed bump too fast, still very very annoying
    1 dash means the injection will not hold back while hitting anything at all, the best setting imho

When it rains or snow, i think setting to 3 is oké
  5. Ozav8r

Ozav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's actually not "torque", it's "Traction". It cuts fuel when it senses slippage of the rear wheel, with 3 different levels of aggressiveness of interference. T3 is useless with constant interference even on dry blacktop. T2 may work for some, but I still find it too intrusive, while T1 is my go-to mode in most circumstances, unless I turn traction control off altogether.
    Camel ADV likes this.
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I don't know about snow, but in rain 3 is extremely annoying because it intervenes way too easily. 1 is good.
  7. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I drove home and into a down poor on the highway last night in T3 and it never kicked in but I was already at speed and just stayed there for the 35 minuets it took to get home from that point
  8. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It kicks in over white painted lines and manhole covers when accelerating away from traffic lights. It wouldn't kick in at speed. I usually hit the TC a couple times when I start up the bike.
    Camel ADV and mcmann like this.
  9. bmon

bmon Go Thattaway Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought so too until today, uphill gravel & washboard brought the power interruptus into play even on 1. Killed the TC entirely until returning to pavement. I'm pretty sure it's my least favorite feature on the bike.
  10. PhaseShifter

Oddometer:
    :y0! less fuel = less torque
    (me just silly engineer)
  11. PhaseShifter

Oddometer:
    thats nice to know you experienced it, thanks for the update !
  12. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I don't have TC, but for those who do and are finding it a nuisance in the wet, do you still have the OEM tyres ? If you do, then I suspect that the tyres are more to blame than the TC. I have had problems with the OEM tyres spinning up on the road in the wet. I have now stopped riding my AT in the wet until I get new tyres on. I am currently awaiting a set of MT90's. It all came to a head in the wet last week when the rear tyre was spinning up with between half and three quarters throttle. On one occasion it nearly had me off. I ride briskly and confidently in the wet but I am not aggressive on the throttle. The slightest provocation of these tyres had the rear spinning under acceleration on tarmac in the wet when bolt upright. I am not used to that type of behaviour from decent tyres in the wet on any bike.
  13. markopol13

markopol13 so many great trails.....so little time

Oddometer:
    are those round mirrors stock?
    Bbarsh likes this.
  14. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    A new AT CRF1000 rear wheel getting a re-true before doing a Tubeless seal conversion here in the UK.
    Funny that HRC decided to make a modern, large-capacity bike, with the potential to travel on unsurfaced roads with only tubed tyre option and only 32 spoke hub with relatively lightweight 9 gauge spokes.
    [​IMG]
    ChillCo likes this.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Agree, the tubeless wheels that KTM put on the 1190 Adv and Adv R are much better. Honda just cheaped out I reckon.

I've been running the Outex tubeless conversion on my AT for 5700 km now, no issues.
  16. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Everything is built to a price point. How much higher is MSRP for the 1190 compared to the AT?
    MegaRowMan and Drum Dog like this.
  17. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but Honda have had known spoke/hub problems with CRF250 and some other models, and we've seen 2 rear AT wheels that have needed re-truing already with only light trail riding taking place, not a good start.
    It would be a shame if was an achiles heel to the bike, otherwise it's great, we've had one for testing suspension changes and I loved the slim feel to it, just hope it's not been built too light in places.
  18. DualDude

DualDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help. In Colorado we have a lot of shale type dirt and my rear wheel seemed to slip out. I have the ABS off and have been using the Manual I feature. I have Mitas tires and they seem to do well.
  19. mgib

mgib Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After changing out my stock tires, the TC became much less intrusive...
  20. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I have not had a problem with it being too intrusive but it has been a dry hot summer in Toronto. I got caught in two down pours but was at speed and it never really caused a problem with the stock Dunlop's.