The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very useful info. Thanks. I noticed Rocky Mtn ATV handles them, so that's where I'll probably order from. How are they for wear?

I was close to getting Tractionators, but seems as though the road manners of the Mefo front tire is better, based on reviews.

I haven't been able to find the Super in a 90/90-21, so I'll probably end up with the regular Explorer

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
  2. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    They don't make a super in our 21's, so yes go with the explorer on the front...my first rear cleared 10,000 miles, and due to location I changed my second one out at 9 1/2 thousand...they maybe a bit spendy, but last a good long time...
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Which Shinkos? Maybe the Mefos are better on pavement, although the Shinkos 804/5s haul ass in the twisties for me, but don't see how the Mefos could be better off tarmac than them.
  4. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bet is he means on-road when talking abt Shinkos and TKC80s. My Shinkos had wobble up-front at high speed until they were worn-in.

5. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are staying with Shinkos, the best deal I've found is on Amazon Japan. Especially after the exchange rate.

6. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    I was running 805's on my gs800 (5 years ago) going over the north yungas road (death road) in bolivia, in a major rain event and they had me damn near go over the edge 3 times slipping on slick/mud covered rocks. My riding partner at the time was on a gs1200 with Heidenou scouts and he had no problems...we even switched and he rolled 2-3 miles and swore he would never sit on a bike with those tires on it...after running scouts, I decided I liked the Mefos better, even though they are made by heidenou...
  7. mcridr

mcridr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple more pics of what worked for me.

Attached Files:

windowto likes this.
  8. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I ran the MEFO explorer on my XR650L for a very long time. They last for longer than some may like. I had to flip the front around because it was cupping after about 7500 miles with lots of tread still left. They were great on road, gravel, hardpack trails and I never had any problems with them in those situations. HOWEVER... those things were really bad in mud and wet clay. Most tires will slip around and that can be fun, but the MEFO's never seemed to go where you thought they were going to go. With that being said, my 650 took a bunch of naps while it was wearing those and that is not something I would want to go through on the AT.

Basically, if you don't ride mud they are great and I strongly recommend them especially if you are going to do a lot of road miles.

-Barron
  9. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    If the Pro Taper comes already tapped, it might be better and if it's not HDB sells the tap you need for the bar ends. I can tell you from a collision on another bike with a bus at about 30MPH that the barkbuster bolt into the bar design doesn't budge (which is one reason why I wasn't concerned about clearance between the master cylinder and the mount). With the AT the bar end screws into the bar then you bolt to that which seems just as solid. I would wager that if you hit something hard enough with that protector to break it, there would be an AT not going anywhere soon because either the bike or the rider would be out of commission (the other reason I wasn't concerned about clearance).

I have always liked the idea of good hand protection, and after the accident above I will never ride a bike without them. If it wasn't for those things I'd be typing this one handed.

-Barron
    twinrider and windowto like this.
  10. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Haven't encountered copious amounts mud and/or clay where I ride. The Mefos are worth a try for me.

Barron likes this.
  11. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I had Mefo Explorers on my KLR for a while until I decided I really didn't like them and gave them away to someone. IIRC I put on Dunlop 606s as replacements. I really did not like those Mefos. Same reasons as Barron stated earlier.
  12. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
    Also the 805s are way scary on snow and ice
    That's interesting, I never had cupping issues with myour front... and after dropping the air pressure down to about 15-20 psi I rolled nicely through mud. (Almost 1/2 of central America is rain forest as well as a lot of central south america...but as they say; what's one man's poison is anothers' desert...
    Barron likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever had any tires work good in sand.The shinko is decent but wish for better.Coming from dirt bike world I have not had much experiance with dual sport tires.Lot of sand here and I don't care if it only goes 3000 miles on front.Just want that bitch to keep from sliding out so much.
  14. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I really have very little experience riding on sand, sorry.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your lucky.Dirt bike just pin the bitch but these heavy bikes really hate sand on tite trails.Found always keeping some power on helps but really need more bite.Back is decent but front plows pretty hard.
    Stephenmarklay likes this.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here.Got in a almost head on collision last year with a kx 250.was hugging the trees on a high speed right hand sweeper and idiot still hit me.We both went down hard.My bark buster hit his hand and ripped off his grip and destroyed his hand.My hand was numb for a few hours but way better than his bones sticking out.Told him no hard feelings and lets shake on it.Yaa, got a dirty look lol.
    bmon and Barron like this.
  17. Dulux

Dulux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our first Australian AT get together [​IMG]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    NSFW, EBR458 and Blaise W like this.
  18. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires: I'm using the Shinko 804/805 now and they are good on road and on anything other than mud. I have a brand new, almost, K60 Scout that I will give away free! Tried it once in mud and it may as well be a slick; just terrible, and no side grip to crawl out of a rut or side hill it when needed. I'll be changing to Golden Tyre GT723's for my next dual sport adventure ride. At the front will be the 80/100 as it is "fat" and will float a lot better than the 90/90 on sand or deep gravel. However, you can't use the fat 723 with the stock front fender unless you are prepared for some rubbing, and getting jammed up with mud will be likely. I have a high fender kit on and the fat tire will be the bomb. I have the GT216 on several bikes and just love it. I even ran several thousand miles on the Heart of the West on a 650, including a fast run home on pavement when my mother came down ill. The tire still had over half life at 2500 miles, and it is a true dirt pattern. The 723 should be a lot better on the pavement and will hold up on a heavy bike. When the more serious dirt foolishness is over the 804/805's go back on.
    mslow, Pcfly and Junglejeff1 like this.
  19. Dulux

Dulux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GT have given me a set to run, these standard front guards are a pain, have you fitted the fat tyre with a standard guard?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
  20. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how much of that 490W of electrical capacity is left for those roo lites at far right, once all of the OEM stuff draws what it needs.