The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Betting the windshield as well. Hard to tell from the pic but are there any sharp bends of sharper contours on the new windshield? It looks like there is right near the top adjusters. This was an issue with "Double Bubble" type windscreens on sport bikes. The sharp contour from one surface to another created a concentrated spot when the sun hit it just right. Similar to the spot created with a magnifying glass when positioned just so in direct sunlight.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  2. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Givi windshield came with a warning not to have the bike parked in direct sunlight?

I usually hang my jacket over the windshield when I'm parked in the sun
    Honda-50 likes this.
  3. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Had a great 150 mile ride today to bring in the new year... After I charged the battery...:dirtdog
  4. tapdoubt

tapdoubt somewhat cranky old man

Oddometer:

(I'm quoting myself above from 20 December on this thread) I wanted to keep my word and acknowledge a great new dealer in San Diego area. Poway Powersports. (Honda and KTM) newATincrate.jpg AT@stfrancis.jpg New dealership--just 3 or 4 months old. Run by a young man named Melo Gusman who-- though he looks young--has lots of years GM experience before acquiring his own dealership. Low key, honest and easy to work with. Love my new bike and appreciate the guys at Poway Powersports.
    blalor, Aces 6, Ttrxx and 4 others like this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am always sad when I get rid of my old steeds but get over it fast lol.
    twinrider likes this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could use heavier springs and valve job if planning any real bumpy offroad.I weig 210 lbs and could bottom bike out in g outs on hard top 1 up at speed.At our weight almost no bike anyone sells works very good stock.
  7. KamLeeR

KamLeeR Animal Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at trading my farkled 2016 BWW 1200 GSA in on a Twin, HRC color.
    Who all here traded from BMW to Honda and what is your opinion. Good move?
    Done with BMW recalls and so on, but I see
    Honda has a few of their own too . I'm looking at Honda, because it's the logical choice.
    Redclayrider likes this.
  8. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    Never traded in any kind of Beemer, never owned one.

But I can say this about any trade in. A dealer will make money on it AND the sale of the motorcycle to you.

Usually it is best to sell your trade in first if you can. Puts you in a better bargaining position.

Just my 2 cents.
    windowto and Tinker07 like this.
  9. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

BMW GS bikes are terrific. I really enjoyed mine and still have my '04 GSA, but when I decided to upgrade to a new WC GSA I also test road the new KTMs and AT. For me the Honda AT was amazing. The first thing I noticed was the low COG. Bike doesn't handle like a 530 lbs machine. I also really liked the DCT. I have 2,200 miles on my AT and have no desire to ride the GSA anymore. I'm probably going to sell it. The power delivery on the Honda is also excellent. The new BMWs have more bells and whistles but that didn't interest me. Two things I miss are heated grips (easy fix) and tubeless tires ( I will probably go with the Outex kit when I'm do for new tires)

Good Luck with your decision
    twinrider likes this.
  10. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking seriously at the AT as my next do anything bike. For day rides, multi week road tours, and the occasional BDR route. I've looked at and ridden the DCT version, but would opt for the standard transmission if I buy. Local dealers are selling them for around 12 K. I'm thinking I might wait four or five months for the AT Adventure Sports version: Taller is good with me, I'm 6'5". Taller windscreen, bigger tank, heated grips and light bar/engine protection comes standard (I think), wider pegs, slightly longer suspension travel. I suspect the new model will be priced around 15K. I am told they will be available some time around May, perhaps as late as summer.

Anyone out there wrestling with the same decision? What are your thoughts? LMK if theres a separate thread!
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just made this decision, planning on using the AT for the same stuff you mention. I couldn't wait and deals are to be had on '17s, so I bought my manual down in Petaluma at Cycle West (great shop BTW).

I'm really only quoting you to ask where you live... we may be neighbors...
  12. Boostdreamer

Boostdreamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to see if I could trade my Infian Chief Vintage for an AT. The Honda dealer also owned the Indian dealership two doors down. He had used bikes similar to mine but with MANY more miles and none were as clean as mine. His bikes were being advertised at $14K and up. He offered $9K for my 2015 with 6K miles. I walked out. That’s what you need to be prepared to hear. Know what your bottom line on your bike is and be ready to walk! Don’t take their ridiculous offer!

Tell them you have your own financing set up and you want a deal sheet to take to them, not fax to them. That’s the best way to get real numbers.
    Motomantra likes this.
  13. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Advertise yours privately for $13K. Anyone buying used from a dealer expects a warranty and a deal so you have to figure that in to your price negotiation. Best if you had the dealer service the bike and have all records, further discount if you don't. Most dealers value farkles at 30% of price.
    Good luck on moving the Chief.
    Last January I sold my 06 BMW RT and 2014 DR650 privately to buy the AT. Is is possible.
    Boostdreamer likes this.
  14. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    24k km, just switch change, oil change and fuel up. If you ride off-road (serious) go with manual, for touring and soft off-road DCT.
  15. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    There has been no recalls.
    neanderthal likes this.
  16. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    I went from a '13 GSA to a manual AT - completely happy with the change. My rides focus on gravel and back roads with some mild single track for fun - the AT is superior to the GSA for this kind of riding. If your riding will be more road oriented, especially if you spend time on the super-slab, you may find your self missing the GSA.
  17. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in 2016 i traded my 2006 R1200GS for the AT-DCT and i am very happy with this decision
    GS has more "punch" in the low rev's, but the AT is much better all-round handling
    My next AT should have al little more "punch" too ...
    bob_jones67 likes this.
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I know of no recalls from Honda about the Africa Twin.
  19. itsnumber42

itsnumber42 hard runner

Oddometer:
  20. KDouble

KDouble AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the snap ring size on the OEM center stand? Need to pick up a replacement. Thanks