The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by erey, Dec 20, 2015.

1. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just meant the prices looked really cheap to me. As @ya(x2) mentioned the price of outer tubes (which I found to be correct) and @Motociclo said that was for the whole assembly.
    I didn't check, but I guess there shouldn't be a big difference in prices between the regular AT and the ATAS.
  2. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I just looked at it, a complete fork leg assembly is just over $800 USD. Not bad.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not bad lol.Becoming pretty compliant here as the damn things should not need to be fixed in the 1st place.This bike should be in the threads some assembly required.
  4. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    To have a Macintosh to golden delicious comparison the OEM would have to be dialed in for your weight etc granted it would still be cheaper but after all the back and forth to suspensions ships and still not as good a product with maybe the same problem not worth it to me i want to ride with the Ohlins the bike is fantastic wow run on sentence anyone loll
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  5. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    You only need to replace the outer tube (5) (51410-MKK-D21) --> $287.70 (discounted on this site...).

CRF1000A2 4AC is ATAS ?

Can't you believe it's cheaper (and almost 1/2 the price actually) than the right front upper cowl...
  6. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right. A good set up suspension really improves bike handling. More than any other part you can easily replace. And this bike handles great even with stock suspension, so having öhlins front and rear must be from fantastic to awesome, just to start.
    But IMO, 95% of riders wouldn't tell the difference between a slightly tuned (just dialed) stock suspension and the excelence of a 1st row öhlins. Mostly because the biggest difference in suspension is the amount of settings you can change and the variety of terrains and conditions it can be adapted to..... Do you see a lot of people taking their tools out and adjusting spring tensions, compression and rebound adjusters when leaving a road into a trail? Or from rocky terrain to sand? And this would be something like playing chess. Most of people know how to move the figures, but fewer people know the real game and very little are good at it.
    The best part is most of us get no practical advantage of it. Unless bottoming or something like that.
    I'd go for the öhlins too if I could or needed it. But by now I really hope the kashima coat works fine for a looooooong time.
    DKCJ, Anatoli, Drum Dog and 2 others like this.
  7. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    Part prices are not based on production costs. It's more of a political thing. (same with bikes!!! :photog)
    That's why I found the forks being "cheap". Not that I think they're cheap in the amount of money, but beacuse japanese parts sometimes have really crazy high prices. it just depends if they expect it will be sold or not.
    It's always worth with hondas to check the (i.e) OEM brakepads beacuse sometimes you only pay a couple of euro more than some cheapish aftermarket ones. On the other hand just out of curiosity, if you want, check the price for the goldwing GPS map update......
    Or the battery of my ATAS being the same price of the two fork outer tubes. Or the difference in prices of the same part depending on the country. Somebody posted a site where you could find that front upper cowl for a hundred and something dollars.

And this must be a mistake, but it was the same mistake on two different sites:

Captura de pantalla.jpg
  8. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The internals fit from adv sport to standard and vice versa.
    If the complete pair of adv sport forks were bought, and you had you current forks re valves etc, these internals could be used. Would only give you the standard 220mm travel, but Would give the stronger adv sport outer tubes.
  9. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some odd reason the parts prices Haven't been separated into they're individual prices. It seems be the same on all Honda part listings in Oz.
    The adv sport model is the CRF1000D2J. The A2J is the standard with abs.
    pepebayeta likes this.
  10. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohlins are beautifully made pieces. I feel there is only few advantages with getting forks.
    First one is finer adjustment in the clickers.
    Second, you by pass the anodising wear and stiction issues of the stock Showa.
    And a loose third is they are valved and sprung closer to ideal. But this can be done to stock.
    You can get equally good performance out of stock Showa with revalve etc, but the build quality isn't quite as good. I love Ohlins gear, but Can't justify the near 5000 charged here in Oz. Add a shock and you have 6000 plus dollar investment in suspension.
    Zave likes this.
  11. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong, but mi bike (manual ATAS) is CRF1000A2 in the registration.
    As Oz vehicles are european specs but left hand driving. I thought the CRF1000A2j was the joey version of the european one ;)
    ya(x2) likes this.
  12. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your right,Just rechecked, A2J and D2J are adv sport in Oz.
  13. Merlin44

Merlin44 XR400R & Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    Okay, maybe it's just late, and I can't think, but how can the ATAS have longer travel, just because the outer tube is longer? Would not the slider have to be longer, also?

And someone else said the ATAS upper tubes were stronger? Is that really right? I knew they were longer, and had the Kashima coating, but can anyone say for sure that they are stronger? Heard only a few times that the 16-17 fork uppers flexed. Had not heard of this very much. only the wear issue.

Thanks,
    windowto likes this.
  14. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    As you pointed, the slider should be longer too. And most important, the damper has to be longer to allow the pipe and tube to slide all that extra travel.
    Merlin44 and windowto like this.
  15. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The adv sport outer tubes have a larger OD, below lower clamp area. Just above where seal seats it is approx 55mm compared to 50mm of standard. I think they are the same length as standard At Twin though.
    Damper assembly would be longer and lower leg also likely to be longer.
    Merlin44 and windowto like this.
  16. madafakinges

madafakinges CrfL

Oddometer:
    pepebayeta, Merlin44 and windowto like this.
  17. J2I

J2I n00b

Oddometer:
    Does the seat make the bike taller? Did it change your reach to the ground?
  18. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on official Honda public prices, when ones can get more than 10% off the bike and 20% off the accessories, it means they obviously do a margin at each level (part manufacturer, motorcycle importer, dealership).

Most parts are not manufactured by Honda and not even in Japan (vat and labor costs make a big difference). Parts prices are based on productions costs but more on the margin they are willing to do (the possible margin depends on many things... including how many competitor you have, R&D efforts, logistics and distribution, packaging...).

First thing you wanna know when you are ready to produce something is the overall production cost. So yes, the price is
    BASED on that ! Margin depends on political things amongs other things.

Example fairings : Zero competitor (ABS gel coated) --> very high price. Material is cheap and moulding process well mastered nowadays (R&D requires skills but cost are cheaper than with high speed CNC machinery). And Moulding is done in Asia ("Made in Thailand" written on mine headlight casing). Same with headlights (whole part I mean), insanely expensive for what it is.

More important than the brakepads are the brakelines ; no way I would put back the oem rubber ones if I decide to replace them (I would go Galfer SS with offlroad sheath). As for the brakepads, Brembo offers a feel no different than oem with oem rotors and rubber lines (and they were much cheaper).

Everthing is possible in terms of quality and price (--> margin) ; oem / aftermarket crashbars and heated grips are good examples ! :)
    pepebayeta likes this.
  19. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any alternative to the integrated brake callipers on the inverted fork lower legs ?

That would allow a wider forks choice I guess...
  20. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Lost among the yuppies

Oddometer:
    @Adventure boy
    It's a good seat. I paid close to $900CAD for it though...
    It's definitely on the narrow side of things, but I recently did a 10,000k trip with most days 15 or so hours of riding and had no issues. The stock seat destroyed me.