The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Fliegenfischer

Fliegenfischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yours is from KTM SC ( Super competition )
    Diskow`s ist from an KTM Adventure . The different are the size, number and thikness of the shims inside for compression and rebound and also the brake saddle pickup (300 mm vs 260 mm disk)
    Andreim92 likes this.
  2. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I get it now, did he mention he has it from an Adv Model? I didn't know that. Good to know. Thank you.
  3. DANJON

DANJON n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone and greetings from Sweden!
    I just recently purchased a 1996 RD07 and just love the versatility of this bike. According to previous owner it has been well maintained and serviced.
    Yesterday however, I was riding and pushed it pretty hard when it suddenly just died in the middle of road. I tried to restart it with no success.
    I knew there should be fuel in it, so my first thought was of fuel pump failure (although it has been replaced), but I checked the pump outlet hose, it was pulsating when pushing the starter.
    Anyway, I switched to fuel reserve despite I could see fuel through the tank lid. After giving some extra throttle it started, and now after 10 minutes it runs as it should.
    When I came back home I tried to switch fuel crane back to normal and bike still runs so it seems this was not the problem.

Now I'm worried that the bike is not reliable for a long ride along gravel roads far from civilization.
    Do you guys have some theories what was the cause of this strange behaviour?
  4. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question about a problem I'm having with the bike, related to fueling. When the fuel drops under a certain level (lets say it has like 8 litres left of fuel), it does not feed enought fuel to the engine and it goes thumper mode, only one cylinder working. If I have fuel above the problematic level the bike has no problem....pulls like crazy etc....

Things to consider:

I have a mechanical pump from a Tenere 600 something from what I heard.
    I have Dynojets on the bike.
    Can the fuel filter be dirty? ( Does not seem that dirty , P.s. not a clear plastic one)

The bike seems to not get enough petrol flow for what i needs.
    This mostly happens at 90-110 km/h or more / 4K+ RPM.

Any ideas? Should I change to an electric pump(facet etc?) ?

Thank you.
  5. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuel tank air vent partially blocked.
    Insufficient pump flow.
    Both would empty your carbs ,stalling your engine , when you are on WOT.
    Carbs need several seconds to filled with fuel, and that is possible by pushing the starter switch only.
    Another issue would be a electrical related problem due to heat.
    Welcome to the forum!
  6. DANJON

DANJON n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. Seems like Andreim92 have a similar problem as I do.
    I had been accelerating full throttle to 85 mph when it happened. My bike also has Dynojet kit.
    I will check air vent and fuel filter!
  7. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what pump do you have?
  8. DANJON

DANJON n00b

Oddometer:
    It was changed by previous owner but it certainly looks like a Hardi 18812...
  9. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's more than enough for it when it comes to flow.... Mine is vacuum actuated and I'm kinda blaming it at this moment, but still gotta change the fuel filter and check the hose that @plumer1kt told us.
    plumer1kt likes this.
  10. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Filling the tank to the top would create enough flow to over ride a faulty pump. (stock one, never tried anything different)
    It worked when I had problems with my pump.
  11. Twiniver

Twiniver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the battery connector? Plus side!
  12. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, thats a know fact, you can get about 150 km with that trick.,
  13. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But it would never happened after pushing the engine , and he will never started the bike again unless adding fuel.That's for @DANJON .His problem is probably the tank vent.
    You are probably in the "pump zone".

Carbs starve because of insufficient fuel flow.That means the fuel system can't provide the necessary fuel .
    Do the fuel pump flow test (described in this thread) first.700 cc /minute is what you need.
    Check the tank air vent.Place a hose before the filter to a big canister and let gravity do the rest.Can the tank be empty with closed cap?
    Check fuel filter and hoses.While doing the vent test ,check the fuel flow.With a 10mm hose and filter from a XRV i can empty my 19 lt of my TA in 3 minutes.You will need 4.(yes i have 10mm fuel hoses and a xrv pump)
    Check petcock strainers (does the XRV has?).
    If the above are ok then proceed to your carbs.
    Strainers behind the float needles....
    [​IMG]
    Those are from my TA.I had a similar problem and found those strainers were clogged.
    But before the carbs ,do the pump/tank tests.
    DunkingBird and Andreim92 like this.
  14. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will come back with news after I check all of those things. Thank you @plumer1kt !!. Regarding the Dynojets, what can you guys tell me about em? Do they prematurely worn the engine or are they ok? From what they say the power increase is a max 5% , which is barely nothing, but they do specify thorttle response and smoothness. It's a stage one, only one they make for the 750. Is it something I should worry abour regarding reliability or not at all. Thank you
    plumer1kt likes this.
  15. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    Regarding the pump problem, I had similar issues since I have fit rd07a on rd03
    One carb gets empty before the other.
    I guess it's because of the hose position.
    The problem is due to a lack of fuel flow in the system.
    What I have seen on my bike (I have 3 tanks with a total of 4 petcocks) is that different fuel levels in tanks (or most likely no fuel as the original tank petcocks are higher than the rear one) can create lower pressures that don't allow the fuel pump to work properly.
    I.e. I can't run the bike with all petcocks open as they are not at the same height and the hose multiple connector have one side "without fuel".
    Same is if I let the bike with low fuel on the sidestand for a long time: once straight again the right side of the tank will have less fuel and so will generate a pressure sucking against the pump.
    I close the petcocks and I can empty all tanks, before with the original tank only I had the issue I couldn't use the last 2 liters: it was due to this problem.

I'm using a mikuni fuel pump since almost 100'000 km and I tuned the engine for cut-off style at closed throttle.

Пиздец, I hate writing from Mobile phones lol
    ExplorerFrog and DunkingBird like this.
  16. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bridge on the Kama,
    IMG_20190808_135957.jpg

The bridges were good, the road even better:
    IMG_20190808_141841.jpg

Then I took a small shortcut...in some parts ot was extremely muddy, so I turned into an "Anal explorer"
    But generally it was good as filled up with sand:
    IMG_20190808_163231.jpg
  17. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    Steering bearings question. I have got new steering bearings in Piter, but now I'm worried they won't fit. They are rd07 steering bearings, I have rd03.
    Cmsnl shows two different products, while online I have found kits that fit both models. Anyone knows if I will be able to fit the one I've got?
  18. Andreim92

Andreim92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont see why they wont fit, the diameter of the hole is the and this is proof.
    upload_2019-8-11_10-21-4.png
  19. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    91015-KT8-005 = 32005/26 =26x47x15mm
    Those are the rd04/07
    91015-425-832= 32005 =25x47x15mm
    51513458246dba4ea9f710a81d1fe8cb.jpg
    Those are the rd03.
    The only difference is the internal diameter.
    My xr600 triple clamps need the 25mm bearing but i have the 26mm without problems for years.That ,on my similar weight XLV 650.
    PedroCH and DunkingBird like this.
  20. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    Did you make a collar/spacer for the 1mm difference?