1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. zg1286

zg1286 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be 65 in December. Have been diagnosed with irreparable nerve damage in both legs due to tethered spinal cord.
    Its getting harder and harder to ride my GL1800. I will be downsizing next year. Not sure what I want to get.
    Really like my Goldwing and hate to give her up.. Been to Yellowstone twice on it and really eats the miles.
    kwthom, Uke, Macho Man2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Joezeph

Joezeph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would seriously ask for a second & third opinion on that one, a friend of mine was told the same, & it seems that the insurance companies have more than a part to play in some surgeons diagnosis!!!!
    He now walks daily!

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/femoral-nerve-dysfunction/overview.html
    Macho Man2 and durtwurm like this.
  3. zg1286

zg1286 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the Mayfield Brain and Spine In Cincinnati Oh. Had a couple MRI's, X-rays and the deal where the stick needles in you muscles and zap them. Doctor there said recommended is do not have the surgery because he didn't think it would help as the damage is pretty bad . If I would have had 15 or 20 years ago, would probably be ok.
    Insurance had nothing to do with it.
  4. Tor

Tor Imported Viking

Oddometer:
    58 right now, and getting ready to pull the trigger on a S1000xr to complement the 2015 GSA. Can’t wait
    everetto, durtwurm and bobw like this.
  5. LTRyder

LTRyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 62 & just rode my GSA from Georgia to Prudhoe Bay & back, many points in between. 14,000 mile 5 week trip. Looking to add a new, leftover 2015 or 16 Wing to the stable so the wife & I can take a 8 week retirement ride in a few years. Yes, it's not like it use to be, I hurt in places, can't see as well, don't go quite as fast as I use to but it beats the hell out of riding around in a pick up pulling a camper looking thru a windshield.
  6. mysery1

mysery1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    63 here and been riding since I was 14. I was into sport bikes till about 5 years ago but once I quit doing track days the bikes just became garage art. Sold everything and picked up a dual sport, a 2013 Husky Strada. Figured out I wasn't going to being using it off road, knees and back just can't handle it, so I put 17's on it and go ride the curves. Also picked up a DRZ400SM, just cheap stupid fun. May have to start doing track days again with the DRZ.
  7. durtwurm

durtwurm Talented Amateur

Oddometer:
    I am 65 and will not be quitting motorcycling anytime soon! I like to keep my riding choices around the 500 pound range and keep the loads reasonable as I enjoy touring. I am considering a small displacement machine for in town grocery getting. My K75S in this photo.

IMG_3406.JPG
  8. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    64 years old -- Triumph Street Triple -- 400 pounds -- very happy.

I was concerned the Street Triple would not work for long trips, but I rode to both West and East Coasts this summer and really enjoyed myself.

Unlike the OP I feel every day of my age. The 21 year old in my head hasn't been around for 43 years.
  9. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP here, I know what you mean by feeling every day of our age. My avatar is me with my 300 two stroke 6 Days KTM, possibly the baddest dirt bike on the planet. That pic was taken about 3 or 4 years ago. I had a couple of KTMs and was riding the hell out of them, sort of like I used to. I was going fast over whoops and I had a pretty good crash. Fortunately I did not break anything and I had no long term injuries. But the crash did a couple of things - it made me aware that in my head I still thought I was 21 and indestructible. It also made me very thankful that I did not break my back or something really serious. I was lucky that time, and it was a wake up call. If I was going to continue with dirt bikes I needed to slow it down a bit, or else get out of the business. In the end I traded the KTM towards some street bike, I can't recall which one now. I still want another dirt bike, but doubt I will get another one at this point. For me it's hard getting that indestructible thing out of my head, but hopefully maturity rules the day.
  10. MartyL

MartyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picking the right tool for every job. And being honest with yourself. Lots of motorcycles to choose from. Personally, I think about what type of riding I do and then I narrow down my choices. I'd love a big cruiser but I know the amount of times I take long trips I'm better off renting for those occasions. For short trips like weekend get a ways or even 200 mile trips, my Yamaha FJ09. For all around town, running errands, it's my Ural w/sidecar. And my reflection of my youth, I still have my 1976 xs650c I've owned since new. I've always been drawn to light nimble bikes. At 58, 5'10" the FJ09 is on the edge of being too tall but I can flat foot. It's a great fun bike. As I age I may one day either get a lowering kit or replace with an Indian Scout? Thank goodness there are lots of choices and I can still enjoy my love of motorcycles. Recently I went to my 40th. H.S. Reunion. I had a lady from my graduating class say to me, "You still riding motorcycles like the wind?" I just smiled and said," Yes! Thank God!"
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    60 here.

Got tired of big and heavy, expensive & frequent tire changes:

Thunderbird ride Thanksgiving '15-1000.jpg

To this:

[​IMG]

I love the V7, shaft drive, light weight. Power is enough.
    ontrip, Macho Man2, tennmoto and 6 others like this.
  12. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    56 and GSw and Multi in the garage and on the road. Riding with the wife up to Big Sur this weekend for a short trip.

My advice - swimming laps.

After decades of competitive sports, bicycle and motorcycle crashes, and various wear and tear, a few years ago I had chronic neck and back issues that made it almost impossible to do much of anything. My Chiro said to get in the pool and rehab or talk to my orthopedic surgeon. That was 3.5 years ago, went from floating and walking in the YMCA pool to now 30 min 3-4x a week of laps. Knock on wood - it has been magic.
    Uke, Junglejeff1, Macho Man2 and 3 others like this.
  13. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am probably already riding my last bike - 2012 Goldwing. I am 58, and just can't see continuing to pump $$$ into my motorcycle habit with retirement staring me in the face. This bike should last longer than I do. It's a big, heavy, bike, but the low COG and reverse gear help to keep it manageable.

The 'Wing is a very capable commuter, and comfortable enough that I can't wait to get it on a long road trip. The wind and weather protection is superb.

I had an FJR once. Thought I wanted another one, so I took one on a demo ride. The riding position was far too cramped for my needs now, and it felt heavy. I did not enjoy the demo ride at all. And this was before I bought the Goldwing.
    Maky, Macho Man2 and durtwurm like this.
  14. MT950

MT950 "OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turning 69 in a few days, and just took a ride over to the North fork of the Salmon river Tues. this week. Its one of my favorite "day" rides, and only 180 miles or so round trip depending on how ya go up the river. Several times on rides like this one lately I think "this may be the last time I ride this place" , so I really try to soak it in ! I also have other "road bikes" ,even one with a sidecar(another story). I like the dual sports for ability to go more places, "just not that adventuresome these days". Ride safe ! PA250009.JPG PA250012.JPG
    davyjones and durtwurm like this.
  15. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:

Check the Atlanta Craigslist, there are a bunch of them on there. I have talked to two owners about theirs, there is one in the FM here too
  16. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I toured for years on sport bikes then as I aged I gravitated towards more comfortable bikes with amenities until I finally arrived at an FJR a couple years ago. Buying a touring bike just made me feel old. It's a nice bike, but just for the hell of it I test rode an FZ09. Comfortable riding position, great torquey power, and 400lbs wet. After upgrading the suspension I find my pace in the twisties is faster than when I was 20 years younger. I still ride then FJR when the weather is bad or when I'm 2-up with the wife, but the FZ has taken 10 years off me. There are several great lightweight triples on the market that are just a hoot to ride and are comfortable on aging knees. So I'll go with what others have said - go light.
    Macho Man2, davyjones and durtwurm like this.
  17. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've graduated to "old man" bikes. Rode this one from NC to Maine and back in total comfort. IMG_5225.JPG
    Macho Man2, davyjones and durtwurm like this.
  18. old farmer

old farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turned 60 this year. As a present to myself I traded an R1100RT on a new wethead RT. It's a bit easier to handle than the old 1100. I figure that's my last "big" bike before the ravages of old age force me to scale back to something lower and lighter. Meanwhile, as the Harley ads said, "screw it, let's ride".
    Macho Man2 and durtwurm like this.
  19. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of it has to do with the poor seats and ergos on some machines.

At 59, with arthritis, I've downsized - in terms of entry-cost. My primary "big bike" is now my $1000 barn find, a GL500. Great shape, despite its 35-year age.

Just the other day I took a round trip to Spokane on it - 400 miles. My arms were a little-bit numb; no throttle-lock; but my posterior felt fine. Didn't have to stop any more often than I would have in my cage.

Sadly, in my current limbo, the limiting thing regarding road riding, is going to be COST.
    Macho Man2, PaD and durtwurm like this.
  20. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    so great news. Used SV650's are very low cost and come in two flavors of sport ergoes or naked. 919's bigger motor and still low cost. VFR - but those ergoes are getting tougher these days. Lower costs include ninja 500s.
    durtwurm likes this.