1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Ride while you can fellas.

I just led a ride with some folks a little older than me (I'm 53), and they were wiped out after the first day of riding.

I intentionally kept the distances shorter and rode a slower pace, but they were still not up to the task. By the end of day 2, they were :cry

For day 3, they took the interstate home :fpalm

Luckily that freed me up to do a 650+ mile day, unrestricted, on some fantastically technical deserted backroads :ricky

Hope that doesn't happen to me anytime soon :deal
    davyjones, dtysdalx2 and everetto like this.
  2. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoping you have clear skies and following winds, there and back, more likely strong westerlies all the way. Enjoy, I'm envious!

everetto likes this.
  3. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a F650gs and I have this exact same problem. I can’t lift a pot, I can’t lay my helmet down when I take it off, my elbows ache, my shoulders and upper back ache, my wrists....

I am finding moving the gs around is becoming quite difficult,the bars are about shoulder height for me. My arm issues come into play as well, I don’t have the strength to control/ balance the bike. Because the bars are higher I can only use my upper body to help move it.

My other bike is a street triple. I find this bike much much better to move around, since the bars are lower, I can use my upper and lower body to move it around. It’s soooo much lighter than the gs twin. No vibes either which aggravate my arm issues. I know I will be finding myself on this bike more and more.

It doesn’t have the same carrying capacity as the gs nor the fuel range but as I age I have to start compromising.

I’m 60...5”2....weight about 130....inseam....28.5....

I’m guessing that 99.9 %of the posters here are male.

You guys will still have the upper body strength advantage on me and height as well, with a very few exceptions.

Also, menopause has completely changed my strength,flexibility and stamina. I do yoga every day and walk. But I feel like I’m not winning the game here....
    AZQKR, Uke and davyjones like this.
  4. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can do 8-9 hours on my ST1100. After that I'm exhausted. I have found that zero sugar Rock Star energy drinks do help. I only drink 1. The Wing seems to be less exhausting, depending on the ride. The reverse is a lot more useful than you would think. The Versys 300 is about like riding a bicycle that goes 90. Much less tiring. I do an annual ride with the Nighthawk forum guys. They are all in their 30s and I'm 62. They have FJRs and I have an ST. I'm going to negotiate an early bail out point this year. They start out planning an 8 hour ride, but it ends up taking 12 hours.

I have Helibar Horizen bar risers on the ST and the Wing. I wouldn't be able to ride either bike without them. The Versys has regular up and back risers.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My ole neck is holding together for me for now. I just finished an 11 day 5,000 mile trip of AB, MT, WY, CO, UT, NV, CA, OR, WA, BC, and then back home to Alberta.
    Uke, davyjones, Rsquared and 3 others like this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of years ago, I was always up for an all day ride. I was diagnosed with AFIB about two years ago. The meds I take make me lethargic. Now, two hours is too much. I’m upping my exercise intensity and that is helping. I’m 65.
    Uke and davyjones like this.
  7. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    How did you manage to miss Idaho?
    Motorius likes this.
  8. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a big loop around it. We did Idaho on our last trip in 2017, we crossed the border at Eastport and followed 95 down to Ontario where we turned west on 20 into Oregon.
    davyjones likes this.
  9. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I turned 70 last October, been riding since I was 13, and still love it
    I was diagnosed with Parkinson in 2007, It try's to knock me about but I tell it to fuck off. Riding is a good therapy for it. My neurologist keeps asking me if I still ride the bike, probably wants to take my licence off me. I've also skied since I was 5, I love it. Someone asked me, which would you choose, if you could only ride or ski, I hope I never have to choose. I've had my 990adv since 2006, a tremendous do it all motorcycle. I did lot of moto x and enduro riding, when I was younger. Road bikes I've had from 850 Norton through to kawas zzr 1100, to hondas vfr 750, cbr 1000, hurricane they were called in States. One bike I recommend to test ride, if you get a chance, Yamahas new 3 wheel Niken, absolute blast. In states you have long distances and reading your comments, you ride long stretches at times, that Niken would be perfect.
    I haven't really thought about how long I am going to ride, or be able to. I've slowed down my pace some, Parkinson has an effect on cognitive side of things, instead of looking once over my shoulder to check the traffic, now I look twice or three times.
    Oh well, as long as I can get my leg over the seat of the 990, she'll be right mate.
    davyjones, MTBRALPH, oldgrizz and 8 others like this.
  10. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride on brother. More power to you.
    The body may weaken a bit but the riding keeps the soul happy and healthy
    AwDang, Uke, Super08 and 1 other person like this.
  11. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We just finished up a 6 day 2100 mile ride from NM up to the Tetons. Extreme weather hit us on our one day in the Park (downpours, hail, extreme lightning), so we did not get to see as much as we wanted. Of course there was construction going on in the park, with lanes backed up each direction for several miles. They had us stopped when the storm hit us, nowhere to go, nothing to do but sit there in it. The hail sucked and the lightning was pretty damn scary. I think we hit most of the twisties in WY and CO on this ride.

As to the point of this thread, I definitely felt the "pain" of this ride, each day was tough on the bod, but we rode on, as we all do. Overall it was definitely worth it, but I can see a day in the future (hopefully way out there) where riding may no longer be enjoyable.

Route.jpg
    2Nr, MTBRALPH, PaydayGabe and 4 others like this.
  12. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, long time since anyone posted in this thread. My latest update to the post directly above; my road trip last summer may be my last ride. I sold the bike a few months ago, and likely need rotator cuff surgery, so we will see what comes next. I just finished reading the thread about rotator cuff surgery and have to admit that after that I am in no hurry to do that.
    davyjones and Sal Pairadice like this.
  13. Boneheadnw

Boneheadnw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to cancel my second hip surgery twice due to family emergencies and now am scheduled for early May. I'm waiting to see if they cancel on me due to pandemic. Meanwhile, I am determined to get my one to two hour rides in while I can here in the PNW, weather be damned. It is often painful, especially getting off the bike after an extended (more than an hour) time riding. Considering what is going on in the world, I have little to complain about!

Bone
  14. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My two main riding buddies have both had rotator cup surgery in the last three years, one is 70, the other 66. They both went through the therapy and took a while to get full (or almost ) motion back. We all rode the MABDR last summer. They are both talking new bikes this year so we can ride rougher stuff.
    Me, I'm only 76 and had a couple of long solo rides planned for this year but now those may be on hold because of the pandemic so likely will just do day rides until we see how this plays out.
    bomose, davyjones, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had both shoulders done. My brother had his done.

They suffered mightly but eventually both of them recovered 100%.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are interested in having a smaller bike that can do longer day rides, or touring for that matter, now would be a good time to pick up a used Versys 300 ABS. Everyone is expecting the 400 to come out next year, so prices are pretty much rock bottom. Put a Russell seat on it and some bar backs and you will be set. I ran with the ST boys at their flSToc late last year. It kept up pretty well. The guy behind me accused me of flogging the bike, which was true, and asked me if my right wrist was sore. It will do what needs to be done, and will be fun doing it.

I’m not convinced the 400 is going to be a game changer for the Versys. I’m sure there will be some marginal improvement, but the 400 does have some harshness at higherRPMs and I don’t know what effect that’s going to have on running at 70 to 80 miles an hour. It is very smooth running at those speeds now.
    davyjones likes this.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    -4C today and the scooter is staying in the shed. Sunny blue skies but tomorrow is supposed to be 8C and I ride!!!
    davyjones likes this.
  18. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last summer I had rotator cuff rebuild and a reverse replacment of my right shoulder.
    That was done last March.
    The only complication is that the nerve going to my little finger took some damage and it is now numb but really feels the cold and tingles constantly.
    I have a 3 to 4 week ride planned for this sumner with my friend GPAX.
    The shoulder has NO pain and it did take some effort to build up the strength.
    I lost a minimum of movement. 20190424_095523.jpg 20190424_095507.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  19. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job on the shoulder. I lost a lot of motion on my rotator rebuild. The replacement didn’t help much. Still have some pain and can’t sleep on that side. However, I can RIDE!
    Sal Pairadice and Uke like this.
  20. Pleiku68

Pleiku68 n00b

Oddometer:
    Shawnee Bill
    73 this summer. I'm (was) planning on a ride from N.E. Ohio to AZ late this spring to visit my son but this pandemic is screwing things up...I may go anyway if campgrounds are still open. Hopefully by May things will be quieting down.
    Sal Pairadice, davyjones and MTBRALPH like this.