The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a plan to ride the MABDR in June. We’ll see.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the talk about travelling on smaller bikes I used to do this in my younger days. I had a little Yamaha 360 twin that I had put a fairing on and saddlebags. I traveled all over western Canada on it and the lady I sold it to rode it from Alberta all the way to Quebec and then back to Alberta. It wasn't as fast as the guys with 750's and 1,000 cc bikes, but I could cruise at 65-70 mph all day. Top speed with the fairing on was only about 85 or so due to the extra drag. Below is a brochure pic and one of my bike in the summer of 1978.

Yamaha XS360 76  1.jpg 1976 Yamaha XS360.jpg
  3. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    26.42 HP @ 8,000 RPM. You don't need as much as you think you do.
    davyjones and Super08 like this.
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    It takes 12 hp to go around the world. The rest is for show.

Currently riding a Royal Enfield Himalayan, 25hP and a Honda NC 700Xdct, 48HP. I can go anywhere I want (and have) on either bike. Of course, the honda is much better on interstates.
    davyjones, Super08 and Uke like this.
  5. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this point is often lost on so many people.
  6. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just noticed this thread and the title caught my eye because: aging (check). road rider (double check).

I'll be 65 in Aug, been riding since my teens. Have had both hips replaced due to arthritis. Have a plate and 9 screws in my left ankle due to stupidity.

I have returned to the philosophy of "light is right." Since moving to AZ in 06, 2 R12GSs were my travel bikes, with other bikes rotating in and out of the stable. Back in 2014, my wife and I rented an F800GT in Scotland to tour the Highlands, and I remember thinking how much I enjoyed riding a lighter touring bike again. When we decided to ship a bike to Europe and store it there, I started shopping around for one. Shipped it over early 2019, and spent last summer riding 3300 miles around the Alps. Came home, sold the GS and bought another F800GT. With bar risers, pegs lowered and a high end Wilbers shock, I could not be happier. I can't see ever owning a bike over 500 lbs again, there's just no reason for it...for me.

Fingers crossed I can get back to Europe this summer!

Mia (Europe)

IMG_20190808_081856244_HDR.jpg

Ginger (US)

IMG_20200103_131542150.jpg
  7. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    So funny when someone consider a 470 pound F800GT as a lightweight.
    motu and davyjones like this.
  8. shupe

shupe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Top speed with the fairing on was only about 85 or so due to the extra drag. Below is a brochure pic and one of my bike in the summer of 1978."

Interesting. I've always heard the Windjammers actually improve fuel mileage at higher speeds due to LESS drag, but I dunno.
    I've been running a WJ on my Harley Dyna this winter. I don't know how it compares to a naked bike, but compared to the tombstone shaped upright windshield I used to run, the WJ gets at least 3-4 mpg better above 70mph (less turbulence around the helmet, too).
    davyjones, Uke and Richy like this.
  9. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree...I think the sweet spot is 450 lbs, 100 hp, 65 ft/lbs of torque. 2-up all day, multi-day, capable, with 3 integrated bags; not much out there with those attributes. The F800GT comes close with 470/90/62. Unfortunately, BMW went in the "wrong" direction with the new F900XR at 483 lbs, not to mention the ugly coming standard.

But hey, just my opinion. 470 is light enough for me...right now...maybe in another 10 years...
    davyjones likes this.
  10. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, unfortunately both myself and my father lost speed on the top end by a fair amount. These weren't real Windjammers, they were a copy of it called the Windkutter. Identical shape but made a bit cheaper and quite a bit lighter. Parts from the real Windjammer would fit on them. I never paid any attention to any changes in mileage. We both had identical bikes and setups. He only kept his for less than a season and then moved up to a Kawasaki 650. BTW the bike looks like it has rust on it but it is just mud. I was just getting ready to wash it as I had been on a gravel road after a rain.
    davyjones likes this.
  11. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    It is, compared with my 530# VFR.:lol2
    kickstandsup likes this.
  12. Mushugna

Mushugna n00b

Oddometer:
    [All. I ll turn 80 in July. Each spring when I get on my bike I privately wonder if this is the last year of riding.
    I’m in pretty decent condition with normal weight and few limitations other than I’m a weakling and a shorties 5’6”.

I’ve given up most off road riding and confine myself to the twisties in my part of the Pacific NW.

I’m a dedicated hooligan with my current bike of choice being a 790 KTM DUKE. I have no intention of giving riding up until I’m unable to get my leg over the seat.

I’m a dedicated student of continuous improvement having taken a Keith Code CA SUPERBIKE SCHOOL on my 79th birthday last July at the Ridge in Shelton WA.

I feel blessed that despite a few orthopedic issues over the years I’m still able to spend a week riding twisties and secondary roads and arrive home with a smoke.

Lastly I’m also fortunate that I have a weekly ride with a group of other old geezers who are excellent dedicated road warriors.

steve

QUOTE="everetto, post: 33485241, member: 238859"]I see this subject mentioned in various threads, so I thought I would start one for some of us to occasionally post in, if that is ok and if there is not already a thread like this.

For my part I am 62 and in my head I am still 21 so I still think I love crotch rockets, until I ride them. I had a Pani 1199S a couple of years ago and I really found it uncomfortable, so I didn't keep it long.

As discussed recently in several other threads, for some of us as we age, lighter weight becomes a higher priority each year, followed closely by bike height. My current ride is a S1000XR which is fairly light, the height is good because it is the factory lowered version, the power is awesome, but it has a chain. It will definitely be the last chain driven bike I own.

My next bike in a year or two may be my "twilight bike" (not my term, but I saw it here and I like it) and it might be the new FJR, but it will more likely be the new RT because it is lighter and more comfy than the FJR and it will have very comparable power when it gets the variable valve timing and the displacement bump that is coming. Right now I am thinking this could be my perfect twilight bike...

...until I give up all together and buy something with 3 wheels...... God that is hard to even think about.[/QUOTE]
    RowBust, davyjones, Motorius and 6 others like this.
  13. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    72, had a little TIA/small stroke a year ago, recoved pretty good, some psychological remnants. Went skiing 10+ times so that's something. My 1190 sits mostly, arm hurts riding it so the 250 gets more exercise. Been out once this year, just waiting for better weather, later this week. Don't need no stinkin virus.
  14. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I’m only in my 50’s but planning ahead to ride until I can’t, then take up skydiving.
    davyjones, Motorius and Shawnee Bill like this.