The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun. The Envasion of the Old Farts
  2. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I'm 73, 170# and 3 back surgeries :lol3, I don't think the CB is all that much lighter than an 890. I haven't tried to pick up my Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport but I have loaded it in my too high a truck :becca.
  3. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in '18, when I was only 70, I left North Carolina and rode to Alaska. My '18 GSA had 700 miles on the clock:
    [​IMG]

When I got home seven weeks later, I just washed it pretty good . . . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . . about five times. I rarely see any remains of calcium chloride anymore.:D Go north, young man.

Mike
    Laconic, Uke, TonyKZ1 and 9 others like this.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes me think - why were there almost no old riders around when I was a kid? probably most were done in with orthopedic problems by 60, sitting at an old man bar drinking 25 cent glasses of Pabst Blue Ribbon. At least we can get joint replacements.
    Uke, Manwell and barko1 like this.
  5. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

I currently have an NC 700x and a RE Himalayan. I’ve done multi week trips on the NC, but I’ve thought about selling it and getting a 500x. I’m doing the MABDR in June on the Himma.
    2up ADV and mikegc like this.
  6. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that...actually 2, I've now had both hips replaced. Without that, no way I'd still be riding...or much else. Between the hips and a plate in my left ankle, metal detectors everywhere love me! :D

Did 7 days thru Utah a few weeks ago: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-grand-staircase.1499267/

Am desperately hoping to get back to Europe this summer and continue my "10 year ride Europe" plan which started in 2019 when I retired and shipped a bike to Germany that I now store there. 2020 was an obvious bust, but I remain cautiously optimistic for this year.

I will say that I love being on a relatively light touring bike now. Can't see ever owning anything over 500 lbs again, just no need. The sweet spot for me is 450 lbs/100 hp. My current GTs are close. The Bonnie is now my heaviest bike! :lol3
  7. beanbandit

beanbandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMWR1200 GSA TRIPLE BLACK, 2017,I am 78 this year, and the excitement, the relaxation, the feelings, I get when about to go on a long ride, this one, 2250 kilo's to get there, two and a bit days, is still the same as it has been all my life, and I will keep riding as long as I feel safe.
    Uke, Manwell, GotFog and 3 others like this.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    She said to get up on the table in the medical clinic. It looked about KTM height.

She said point your ass this way. My Honda Forza seat is comfortable. I felt a slight pain.

She said um! We need pictures. I left my cell phone on the bike.

She said I am now on the waiting list. So when do I get my Africa Twin DCT or the NC750x DCT or the Harley Livewire?

I went to McDonalds to recover.
    motocopter and Dan Alexander like this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few years ago when I was only 74 I bought a new 2017 triple black 1200GSA. Rode it a couple of years and traded for a 2019 1250 GSA HP, needed more power! Two years and 50,000 miles later I'm leaving on a 4-5,000 mile trip in a couple of weeks. Also ride a 2019 KTM 690 Enduro that I put 11,000 miles on while the BMW is resting.
    I can not even begin to pick it up so I always carry a MotoWinch, works great in the driveway, never had to use it in the wild. Tried a couple of others but the Eastbound is easily the best.
    https://eastbound.shop/product-info/lifting-a-motorcycle-motowinch-info/

Little ride last week.
    https://billskoi.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Southwest-Ride-May-2021

[​IMG]
    Uke, Manwell, bomose and 5 others like this.
  10. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    So light weight is great but once it's much over 500# I'm not picking it up anyway. Never had a heavy weight, more than a C14, would something like a old mans Goldwing make putting on some miles easier?
  11. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Just carry a hoist with you, there are several on the market.
    Most drops will be in parking lot or maybe stop signs, not a big deal and I think it will be easy to get help quickly. If not break out the hoist, they're pretty quick if you have practiced at home.

That's one advantage to coming off dirt bikes or riding an adventure bike, it's almost normal to drop them.
  12. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 5200 miles into a trip that will end sometime around Labor Day. No idea how many miles it will end up being but for sure it'll be out of warranty on mileage. I have the 30,000 mile service scheduled for Salt Lake City, then into the PNW before going to the MOA rally in Montana. Then ...?

I'm seriously thinking the GSA is more bike than I want to travel on though, the Tiger 900 looks nice and is 100 lb lighter, but I'll miss the 300+ mile tank.

PXL_20210527_223148460.jpg
    Kthursto, Manwell, motocopter and 2 others like this.
  13. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    The only place I drop them is in the garage.
    Shawnee Bill likes this.
  14. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Surely you have an overhead hoist in there! :imaposer
  15. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Umm, I enjoy riding a light bike. Being able to pick it up is just a side benefit. :lol3

Seriously, after 100k on two big GSs in a row, I'm never going over 500 lbs again. As with everything, YMMV...
    klaviator, motocopter and Rider2 like this.
  16. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    76 years old and 76kg short and weak, I'd have trouble picking anything over 130kg up, unfortunately they don't make anything suitable for my size so I ride bikes that I wouldn't even try to pick up by myself, doesn't take much to damage the body when you get old
    Uke and motocopter like this.
  17. Dennyf

Dennyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, this is as far from North Carolina as I'm gonna get this trip: the world's largest pile of mashed potatoes.

20210528_121830.jpg

That was Thursday. Tonight I'm in Avoca IA, planning the rest of my trip home.
  18. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am on the waiting list for my second circumcision.

I thought I had a life time warranty on the first one over 60 years ago.
  19. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Great shot, love Devil's Tower, was lucky to have climbed it when younger. Now cleaning the chimney scares me.
    Uke likes this.
  20. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    A crash bar is a great thing for getting a fallen bike back up on two wheels. You roll the bike over about half way before you have to start on the heavy lifting. Don’t know that I could get the likes of my Road King up if it didn’t have that crash bar.