The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ajay

ajay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    69 here, now 5’7.5”, 175 lbs, cancer survivor, retired white collar guy now working part time as a motorcycle (BMW, Ducati, and most Japanese brands) warranty administrator. Been riding since 19, owned too many bikes to list. Last change from a FJR1300AE to a F800GT. The FJR was great, but hard to manhandle in the garage. I love the F8GT - a few ergo mods make it extremely comfortable. Took it on a 2,000 mi trip this summer through WV, NC, TN, and back home to PA - it was a pleasure. Light, fast (enough), great handling, very low maintenance, steady on the straights, nimble in the twisters, and easy in the garage.
    I guess I gave up having a few bikes in the garage, though I’m still always looking. Kind of excited about the new Goldwing, Guzzi 1400 series, and K1600b - dimentia setting in? Ha ha.
    I try to stay in shape, take a riding class every year or two, and have become more selective when I rode - rarely at night, in the rain, or very cold weather. Long days in the saddle don’t seem to bother me much, as long as I take a breaks and drink plenty of water (which mandate taking breaks). I’m enjoying the autumn season - riding to work until it gets too cold.
    One big change I made a year and a half ago (I awoke after a surgery thinking “I want a convertible”. I bought a small convertible (‘11 BMW 128i manual) to keep me outside in the elements - when my wife wants to come along, and our dog wants to come. When the weather turns, or it gets dark, or I just want less stimuli - putting the top up, and turning on the ac or heat - is really nice. Also nice to run errands - however they always take longer in this vehicle - can’t seem to avoid the long way there!
    Great thread!! Thanks to everyone for contributing.
    murin, ontrip, xsrdx and 3 others like this.
  2. BarrieCTaylor

BarrieCTaylor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent 5 days this summer riding through the Rockies and the Cascade loop in Washington State. Lots of seat time on a tourer (Honda CBF600SA). I had a great time.

I don't feel my riding ability has diminished. Maybe I have slowed my pace down on the twisties. I still feel comfortable on the bike. I am 72.
    The wife is getting a little nervous about me riding and all the crazies out there.

So I compromised. I sold the bike and replaced it with a Mazda Miata MX-5. Almost as much fun.

Yes, I will miss the bike, but I thought, I have 40 years of good fun experiences. I would not like to end the riding career having a bad memory.
    To each his/her own on when to hang up the spurs.
    ontrip, TT RDHS, davyjones and 2 others like this.
  3. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the tech innovations like corning ABS that add to the margin of safety for riders of any age.
    Alas, the complete suite of safety tech is reserved for the largest displacement models in each company's line. This older rider wishes he could buy a lighter, sub 100hp moto outfitted with the full electronic safety net. Sorry, not for sale.
  4. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    As is, the bigger frame/suitable ergonomics for a larger rider, on those machines. Somehow, as with cars, it came to be...SMALL ENGINE, SMALL RIDER.

That's one thing I love about that antique GL500. That was a big bike, back in the day. Not the biggest, but big. And it fit big riders.

I'm intrigued about this new trend on ADV bikes...smaller displacement. I'm probably exactly who Kawasaki had in mind with their X-300. Hopefully, as the GL fades away (it will, parts are unobtainium) I'll be able to afford one, new, NOS, or used.

Antiskid is creeping down to smaller bikes...but I'm wary of it. It encourages sloppy habits. Yeah...that's an old fart's complaint. But a lot of sub-half-liter bikes now have it; I expect it to be made standard in the nest ten years.

Stuff like drive-by-wire and the other gee-whiz stuff, is slower coming down...because of the lower price and lesser profitability of the little machines.
    durtwurm and davyjones like this.
  5. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be 64 in about 90 minutes. This will be my ride so long as I can throw, well grab my boot and hoist, a leg over. I did 173 miles this afternoon coming home from a visit to my daughter in college, suggesting 173 miles to get there earlier this week. I've lost interest in rolling 80+ mph on the interstates, I much prefer 70 on the secondary state highways even if there is a stop light or stop sign in every town I go through. Less than 1% of the 18 wheelers, too. If this is my last bike I would have no complaints.

'93 BMW R100R (yep, will be a quarter century next year, according to the tag on the frame, it already is.)

R100R_clean.jpg
    murin, pratered, durtwurm and 4 others like this.
  6. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"Would I sacrifice my beautiful, 2016, green and cream Indian Vintage for something like this? (ed >Triumph Thruxton)................oh, lordy, YES!!!!"

Very uncomfortable... for any distance at all.
    Good for riding from bar to bar. (Or Starbucks to Starbucks)
    pilot47 likes this.
  7. BarrieCTaylor

BarrieCTaylor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uke: I just LOVE those BMW R bikes!
  8. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the Airheads, I've never ridden any of the modern oil head or wet head boxer twins.

The R100R was the last road going AirHead, essentially a R100GS with different forks and a shorter shock (rear ride height.)

Airhead Beamers have gone RTW, Elspeth Beard did her epic ride on a R60/6. Someday I hope to do most of North America, I'm starting small, trying to do the corners of Texas. Fun fact, Los Angeles is closer to El Paso than Beaumont, and Chicago is closer to Amarillo than Brownsville.
    Valker likes this.
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    63 here and I'm finding the lighter the bike the better as I get older. I currently have a Tiger 800XC, DR650 and just upgraded my scoot to a BV350. Honestly, I wish I could be content with just having the scoot. It's big enough to do all the touring I want to do, easy to move around, and a blast to ride. But I still want a dual sport and love the DR. Thought about selling the Tiger but it's just too damn comfortable but it feels like a ton of bricks rolling it around the garage/driveway. I'm pretty certain I'll be a one bike guy in 5-10 years and I'm pretty sure that bike will be a scooter.
    davyjones likes this.
  10. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks my friend, Im seeking a 2015+ model though.
  11. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    My dad rode until he was 80. Ironically, what stopped him was his wife's untimely death... hit by a car in a crosswalk. His mind aged twenty years overnight from the shock and the wrenching change.

There seem to be infinite options for a rider to overcome the physical limitations of age, but I'd bet that often it's situational awareness and executive function that decide when you're done. Having started riding in my 50s, that's my focus. No big bikes. No hairy-fast bikes. But lots and lots of riding in unpredictable situations in the hope that it will keep me sharp and unafraid. My goal is to be an old man who doesn't make mistakes.
  12. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last two times I dropped my Sprint (don't ask) I needed help picking it up. I recently righted my Tiger with no problem.

I'm not going to stop riding soon, but I have to stop dropping them.
    portalespeanut, PeterX, Richy and 6 others like this.
  13. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, I can't imagine selling the scooter (large frame Vespa) either, 'nice & light at 300# and entirely too much fun in the city. The other one I can't imagine parting with is the Ural. That's good for you, the dog, the wife, just about any surface, doesn't go that fast, doesn't fall over & has the on-street visablity of your average parade float.
    ride4321 likes this.
  14. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no longer celebrating birthdays. I've decided to celebrate the anniversaries of past birthdays. It keeps the numbers smaller.

:beer
    portalespeanut, murin, nk14zp and 3 others like this.
  15. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suter 576.jpg

A lot of us in this thread agree that lighter is better, so maybe this will be my next bike (280 lbs, 195 HP).
    likestoride, pratered, Richy and 6 others like this.
  16. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 62. I've got a 990 Adv that I ride both on and off road with my wife. After our last trip out west on dirt roads,I told her we may have to get a Jeep. I never dropped it , but it's getting more difficult and I worry more about what could happen. I also have a KLR, ZRX, and an ELR. I'll keep riding until I can't throw a leg over one. Keeps me sane.
  17. Joezeph

Joezeph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    l bet you're working harder now than you've ever done...................................:lurk
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started going back to smaller and lighter before getting old. I peaked out on big bikes in my 20s and 30s and have been downsizing since. I'm still in good enough shape to ride any bike I want but since I have smaller bikes I won't have much adjustment to make when I get old enough to have to downsize due to physical limitations. I currently have 5 bikes ranging from 150-650cc. So far this year I have put more miles on my little 150cc Kymco scooter than any of my bigger bikes.

[​IMG]
    ride4321, durtwurm, davyjones and 3 others like this.
  19. Izzo

Izzo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m 60 and plan to keep going as long as I can. I ride an Explorer, and contrary to what some have said, I like the weight (600). A bigger bike feels mor planted to me. My daily commute is along the shores of Lake Erie, and many times when a strong crosswind was hitting me I was thankful for every pound.
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Izzo

Izzo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lately I do find myself resorting to the step on the foot peg first method of mounting though.
    pratered, Suncoaster and bomose like this.