The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just turned 69, been riding since I was 19. Various health problems (mine and my wife's) have kept me from doing anything other than day trips since November 2018. But I have two 2 - 3 week trips planned this summer. Just rode 150 miles to brunch and back with no other stops. Not a big deal for most, but most excellent for me and my little Street Triple.
    Uke, Pantah, strommonster and 9 others like this.
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark, I understand. I was diagnosed with AFIB a few years ago. Passed out in the kitchen. I had two ablations to allow me to ride without reservation. Just tried to take my first big trip since this started. I did the first section of the MABDR last week and ended up in a motel with an AFIB episode. Didn't last but a few hours, but I didn't want to pass out in the middle of BFE with no cell reception. So, my big trip days are over. Might trailer someplace and ride around instead, although this took a lot of wind out of my sails.
  3. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. I never did a lot of dirt riding, but I'm strictly street now. I love the multi day trips, I've really missed them.
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was a motocrosser until my early 30's. Then I had V tach, which is like AFIB but the on the ventricular part of your heart. I spent a week in ICU. That caused me to stop racing because if you are using a lot of oxygen, a brief episode would cause you to pass out. The Doc asked me how that would work out on a race track... I have had episodes over my life off and on.
    I have even had them on long remote trips. I can feel them coming on and taken corrective action, which is posture, better breathing and relaxing any muscle pressure on my chest. I am 72 now but found a good cardiologist. A few months ago I started having runaway episodes that scared me. I wore a heart halter for a week. The doc increased my beta blocker drug (metoprolol) and it totally disappeared. I feel comfortable riding long distance again. My point is there might be a chemical solution for your AFIB. AFIB is quite common so there should be. Anyway, good luck.
  5. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drdubb, I'm sure sorry to learn this! Gotta tell you, my wing man on the MABDR trip had surgery at Emory to correct his AFIB. It was a new procedure and broadcast live to heart surgeons all over the world. He had to have two more ablations after that but, now, his heart is behaving. When these photos were taken, you were lookin' good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike, Jan and I sure enjoyed meeting you guys!

Mike
    Tor and Uke like this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. I was really surprised by the AFIB episode. Haven’t had one in two years and it only lasted a few hours. If I hadn’t had a fainting spell in my history, I probably would have continued the trip and I still have doubts about my decision to abandon the trip. That one day was one of the best rides of my life and I felt like I was doing well. (Except for 5 wrong turns and a parking lot drop.)

I think I allowed myself to dehydrate and that triggered the episode.
    thanks for the pics and encouragement
    Tor, Uke and mikegc like this.
  7. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    If you ain't peeing, you ain't hydrated.
    Uke likes this.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

I currently take a small dose of metoprolol and eliquis to prevent stroke. At my last ablation, I had a choice of a new Med or the ablation. Chose the surgery. I have a low heart rate and there are only two meds I can use. Before the second ablation I used flecainide, but I felt lousy most of the time. I took one of those for this last episode and my heart calmed down in an hour or so. Trying to stay off the meds as long as possible. Again, the fainting really drives my attitude towards this malady. My current thoughts are to trailer to locations and ride from one base. Better chance of self rescue if needed.
  9. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think electrolyte depletion plays a role too. I’ve started taking chewable salt tabs that I read about on this forum. I can really feel the difference in the middle of the afternoon.
    Uke likes this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Magnesium and potassium are key, I take prescription supplements.
  11. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Everyone dies in the end, have fun in the middle.
    Kthursto and Ladybug like this.
  12. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I don't want to make it hard for my children to recover my body.
  13. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    ATGATT keeps the body parts in one place.

I do not sign my lottery tickets in case someone recovers my body that they can keep any lottery results.

No children, no problems.

If I die in an accident I don't mind being bear food.
    Ladybug and Uke like this.
  14. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason this reminded me of the comedian talking about the point of seatbelts in airplanes was so Quincy had an easier time identifying the bodies.
  15. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Dad died July 7, 2020, of complications of Covoid-19. My Father-in-Law, died July 6, 2020, also of Covid-19.
  16. Uke

Oddometer:
    Another update, my loving wife and & I both quit drinking in February when HouTex and the entire Lone Star State were hit by the Big Chill and endured 4 1/2 days of sub-freezing weather with no power, thus no heat in a house that got down to 40º F, we were big time bundled-up, and sober.

A month ago my lower spine was surgically rebuilt, perhaps it should have been done a dozen years ago. Regardless, I'm healing, slowly, but one day at a time. Life is good, all things considered.
    mikegc likes this.
  17. Speed Wheeler

Speed Wheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Experiencing issues with VERTIGO
    I've seen a few different physicians.
    Currently taking prescription drugs, and adjusting my diet.

Wreaking havoc on my balance. Dizziness and nausea.
    Really cutting into my riding time.
  18. Uke

Oddometer:

Eply Manouver, and stay fully hydrated.
  19. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    wet is good
  20. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had some of that my doc put me on physical therapy. Really helped.