The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stress is the killer, this I’m quite convinced of. I try to “live in the moment” as much as I possibly can. Can’t change the past, the future is a mystery, but right this moment life is good; I enjoy that fact! I was riding in some very heavy rain this afternoon, all on backroads and the water cover combined with standing water was a bit treacherous. I enjoyed it by slowing down, staying relaxed and remembering how awesome it was that I’m out riding! Klim Badlands pants and TCX boot very waterproof - the Klim Induction Pro mesh jacket, not so much!! It was all good and the water eventually made its way down my waistline - I laughed, as I know how very blessed I am! Shit, I was out getting my two-wheel Zen - so it rained, it’s all good!:clap
    Rockred, otto, RowBust and 7 others like this.
  2. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen brother!

(from a dude who has completed sixty laps around the sun.)

Manwell likes this.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I have done 62 laps around the sun but it was raining a lot of the time. Rode anyway.
    motocopter and Manwell like this.
  4. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    I had this a few years back. Terrible feeling. Lasted a few months. Then, it faded off. I could hardly ride. Was walking sideways sometimes. Have no idea what caused it.
    davenowherejones likes this.
  5. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    “If you are depressed you are living in the past.
    If you are anxious you are living in the future.
    If you are at peace you are living in the present.” - Lao Tzu
    RowBust, Manwell, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Hi, my name is David and I also suffer from AFIB.
    ("Hi, David")
    Just diagnosed this year at 54. :bluduh
    Currently waiting for a CT scan of my heart on the 26th and am taking Metoprolol (sp) which has the wonderful side effect of making me light-headed if not taken with a full meal. Fun times.
    Some time ago I went for a ride for the day. Partway in I felt 'off'. Thought maybe I was dehydrated, so stopped for a Gatorade. I'm standing in the shade on the side of a convenience story next to a propane rack. Next thing I know I feel a 'clang' on my head and I'm sitting on the ground against the rack. I had passed out.
    Let me tell you...that is one scary thing to realize happened.
    I used to race cars and do track days. Looks like that is over.
    Had an AFIB episode early this morning, which is why this topic came on my radar.
    This getting old is a bitch. I don't recommend it.
  7. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I also have AFIB and take Metoprolol and have had a bypass and valve replacement but I keep going that's all you can do. Stay active and take care of yourself the best you can.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Passing out changes how you view AFIB. I know many folks in permanent AFIB that lead normal lives, but that knowledge that you can pass out at any time creates anxiety, which is also a contributing factor. Get a Kardia device and find a good cardio electrophysiologist that will do ablations.

Talk to your cardiologist about magnesium and potassium supplements.
  9. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that shit hope you get some resolution and do better. That is scary looks like in your picture you have a good companion :nod
  10. Speed Wheeler

Speed Wheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great that it faded away.
    Mine comes on with no discernible warning signs.
    Walking sideways as well.
    My condition could be Ménière’s disease.
  11. richarddacat

richarddacat No fruit in my cookies! Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rockred likes this.
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :D . . . . but 9:00 PM is the new midnight.

Mike
    Folly1, Rockred, bomose and 4 others like this.
  14. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love that one! :wings

Personally I’ve been early to bed and early to rise most all of my life. I like to get 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep; wake up naturally around 5:00 - you do the math!! Early workout and riding as the sun comes up are both awesome. I know it’s going to be a good day when I can pull them both off!

What does this have to do with the aging road rider thread? Get rest, both your mind and body need it… For me if I’m not sleeping good, I’m not exercising enough.
    mikegc, Podman, smithe and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockred, bomose, mikegc and 5 others like this.
  16. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bet you have some pics for this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/where-have-you-gone-with-your-hack-today.1389076/

:wave

17. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the alternative
    smithe likes this.
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    You try to manage the AFIB through lifestyle, meds, surgery. The more AFIB episodes you have, the more you will have. AFIB physically changes your heart. I’m being very aggressive. Surgery before meds because meds eventually quit working. Not doing well with lifestyle changes, but trying. Some evidence that plant based diets help, along with weight loss and exercise.
  19. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm not fat and had already been cutting a lot of sodium from my diet.
    We'll see what the CT scan shows in a couple weeks. Fortunately, I live in a place with some pretty respected cardiologists so whatever my guy tells me I'm up for. Slice me open if you need to, I don't care. My goal is to circle the sun as many times as possible with the help of modern science.
  20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are making me feel pretty good about my physical condition. I had a knee that too a couple years to mostly recover from surgery for a torn meniscus, now walking around 2-3 miles without much pain or effort, respiration is great. Now it is some damage to my left shoulder, may be doing an MRI since rehab didn't gain any ground. But I can ride with it, just may need to stop a bit more frequently if painful. About the only problem is having to pee far too often, but that may be partially attributed to being a teacher having to pee on a certain time schedule since ya can't walk out of class to do so.

Retiring at the end of the year and hoping to have all the body parts in order and working fair for the duration so I can ride and enjoy some more of life. Hope ya'll with problems can get them in order and have some fun too. :thumb
    bomose likes this.