The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I retired from full time work in 2009, I was an assistant principal in a high school. I've had 5 surgeries since. Two shoulder, including a replacement, hernia and two heart ablations for AFIB. Do it while you can.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A retired principal!? Dang, Doc, why didn't select an easy job like being a Marine scout sniper? :D

Mike
    motocopter likes this.
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have taken guns, knives, and drugs off kids as well as broken up gang fights. Girl fights were the worst.
    motocopter and mikegc like this.
  4. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So on the 6th, I road solo on the slab along Southern Arizona on the 10 and 8. Pretty hot, but I was hydrating all along the way, and it worked out fine. Then up to L.A. to meet up with my riding buddy. Took a lot if back roads this time. Very hot again, but still hydrating along the way. Then heading up to Atascadero with my buddy, I got a flat tire 7 miles short of Santa Margarita on CA 58. Couldn't find anything in the tire to fix. While I was airing up the tire hoping to find the leak, my buddy went down hard with heat exhaustion even though he had been hydrating all along as well. Had to call 911, fortunately we had cell service (and I carry an Inreach in case we dont). While we were waiting for the responders, I called for a tow. He recovered pretty quickly and was able to ride into Atascadero, while we followed him in the tow truck. Too bad, cuz those last couple miles into Santa Margarita are great. Couldn't find anyone in Atascadero to change the tire, so had it towed to Paso Robles, where the guys at Hidden Power Cycle Clinic had a suitable rear tire and installed it first thing in the AM (I arrived as they were locking up). Next day we just bombed up the 101 to Monterey instead of the Pacific Coast Highway, and had a great weekend at MotoAmerica races at Laguna Seca. Yesterday we rode to Hollister to have my Corbin seat reworked, then to Santa Cruz to visit with a former coworker, and on to Novato. Had a GREAT ride along Scaggs Springs Road from Healdsburg to the coast. More tomorrow, then the outdoor IMS show at Sonoma in Friday, then back home to L.A. and Southeast Arizona.

TLDR: Couple of 69 year olds still having fun on their Street Triple Rs, despite some adversity.
    Rockred, budsboy, Manwell and 3 others like this.
  5. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark, so glad you are able to adventure
    mikegc likes this.