The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Close to 70, downsized from a 1400 to an 1190:-). The 1190 is lighter, better on my long gravel drive, still fast and comfy. But not time I might drop to an 800 but having all the HP readily available makes part of me feel 16.
    hundo, knight, nk14zp and 3 others like this.
  2. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About to turn 76. I used to tool around N Idaho, Washington and Montana on a VT1100. Now I live in Panama, like to go to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras on my little XT250. Yes, its small for the highways, but great on back roads, trails, and beaches.
    hundo, durtwurm, knight and 4 others like this.
  3. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 63 I reckon on at least another couple of decades until I enter the realm of the ageing rider.......

..... Riding for 52 years and licenced for 48, motorcycles have long been my main motor vehicle, and will remain so for a good while yet. Where I am at there are lots of folk, much older than me, still toddling around on motorcycles well into their dotage.
    davyjones likes this.
  4. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    58yrs here, a recent Cancer survivor. Yeah:clap. I pray I never have to hang up the keys and riding jacket. But after the ordeal I've lost almost 75lbs. From 216 to142. I look like a refugee from a POW camp :yikes.
    Anyways, I'm gonna trade my 09 Connie for something a tad smaller/ lighter, probably the Yamaha FJ09.
    Did a Demo Day ride a week ago and it just felt right. I always remember what Clint Eastwood said in one of his Dirty Harry flicks, "a man's gotta know his limitations".
    You geezers ride :p3rrysafe.
    PaydayGabe in Vegas.
  5. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW F800GT and similar bikes really have most of it.
    And less filling, if you remember that ad.
    I will be 64 in a few weeks. 3 years ago I did an SS1000 on my then 42 year old R75/5. I also ride a bicycle. I could not have done the SS1000 without the bicycling.
  6. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    It's like any pursuit really. If you're passionate about it you will do what it takes to keep at it.

I'm "only" 56, but I work hard on general fitness, mainly walking and pushbikes, and I do a lot of stretching as well. Knocked a few pounds off recently and I feel I'm riding pretty well with no issues. Just finished 2600 kilometres in 2 days [ Australia, from Perth to Adelaide ] stayed 2 days then rode home in 2 1/2 days, sore ass from seat but that's to be expected I guess.

I'm desperate to keep going as long as possible, thinking the internal combustion engine won't be around a whole lot longer....
  7. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    At 63 I have been riding over 40 years. Beemers the last 30, airheads until my first fuel injected piece, 04 R1150R. At 530 lbs with a full tank of gas I am very cautious dismounting & putting her on the centerstand.

What do you consider a "light" bike? When I ponder some alternatives, KLR VStrom and others, they weigh just as much as my R almost. I cross country, dare some gravel and just hooligan it up in general, so this is perfect for me...for now. I am aware FJRs Connies and the like weigh much more, but where is the sub 400 lb bike that does what I want to do?
    20130903_101914.jpg
    durtwurm, davyjones and Macho Man2 like this.
  8. Samur

Samur The world spins as fast as you ride it.

Oddometer:
    CEFE00C7-F390-4118-9166-BDA36FAD46D0.jpeg 72 and still going strong. Just completed 16k ride from Florida to Deadhorse Alaska including completing the WABDR. The night before I start a trip like this I’m full of doubts but once I throw my leg over and start rolling I leave all worries behind. Maybe a lighter bike is in my future but not anytime soon.
    Uke, portalespeanut, murin and 5 others like this.
  9. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soon to be 76 and just got my first sport bike. Have owned over 60 motorcycles over the years from Honda Gold Wings to small dual sports including some Ural sidecar rigs.
    I won the 2017 Ride For Kids project bike in the national raffle several weeks ago and am having a blast riding it. It is a custom CB1100 that was modded into a simi replica of Dick Mann's 1970 Daytona winning CB750.

1022171054.jpg
    Sanibel Island causeway.

1024171713.jpg
    At home in Florida but they will be in the Western North Carolina mountains in the spring for six months of riding there.

1027171202.jpg

Put some case protectors on her in case I have to lay 'er down. :lol3:lol3
    That is Nicky Hayden's (RIP) signature next to the #69.
    Jeephoto, Nicksta43, nk14zp and 8 others like this.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a youngster compared to many in this thread but like most I feel the affects of time. When I get down on myself I watch a video of my hero Paul Rodden. Way faster than I ever was and 20 years my senior but we have two things in common: We both like motorcycles and we both have Meniere's. He's proven to me that with determination one can keep riding on and off-road with a wonky sense of balance. Just takes some adjustments. ;)

nk14zp and davyjones like this.
  11. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    This is kind of an inspiring short film about riding in old age, if you've got ten minutes to spare. Burlando passed away this week, as it happens... guy rode beautifully.

mikegc, murin, type918 and 5 others like this.
  12. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    a lovely piece of film that, he also has excellent tastes in bikes. I guess that touches on the larger theme here, that bikes in a way are time machines. I started riding in 1976 (well, legally anyway). When I was in my 20's it was a way of getting away from the pressures of school/college/grad school. In my 30's it let me slip away from the grind of work, in my 40's the demands of the family, in my 50's the weight of so many people dependent upon me. In each decade tho, the bike slipped me from the yoke of where I was and back a bit closer to who I am. Having just turned 60 that's still true. When I jump on a bike and hit the open road years, pressures and responsibilities just seem to fade away. It's just me out there, in the moment, facing the wind. I've never incountered anything that can transport you so easily from where you are to who you are, likely why so many of us hold tight to it long past the point of reason.
    mikegc, xnihilo, Gapscratch and 16 others like this.
  13. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Bravo.
  14. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    He'd get raked over the coals in the Killboy thread for no gloves, street shoes, and regular pants. I'm sure he doesn't care what people think. He's loving the moment.
  15. Valker

Valker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm stealing this for sig line material.
  16. TNWillie

TNWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 64 and have had the pleasure of owning at least 5 dozen bikes since I started riding in '68. I still have my Buffalo that I bought in '77 but mostly ride my '83 GS1100E with 64k miles on it.
    The thought of hanging up my riding gear and buying an MX5 Miata crosses my mind from time to time. Then, I take the 1100 out for a ride and tell myself, "Well, maybe next year". ;)
    GS1100E.jpg Buffalo right side Nov 14.jpg
  17. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    At 78 I suffer from the "old rusty jack knife syndrome", I don't fold up as tight as I used to so I have to ride a GS.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 70. I rode to Alaska last year on a KLR 650 from Charleston, SC. I have a 'catch' in my hip that at times causes me to have to move around in different positions before it releases. But, I deal with it. I was never comfortable on a sport bike beyond short distances. So, I don't ride sport bikes. And, I'm cursed with multiple health issues. So, I travel with an impressive stash of prescription medications...and a copious supply of bourbon.

But, my issue with aging/ageing is listening to people who make a big deal of continuing to ride after a certain age. Some people can do it and others can't. It's not easy getting old and it must really suck if you are a whiner. As Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations." I suggest that people refuse to be defined by their age and ride as long as they are competent.
    likestoride, MREED, Uke and 11 others like this.
  20. FormerOilhead

FormerOilhead Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd weigh in on this.
    Pushing 70 here. Been riding over 50 years. Numerous SS1K's, 5K's and the like under my belt.
    I did that all in my 50's. Along with scraping pegs and wheelies in my youth; I'm glad I got all that out of my system.
    I still ride distance but no longer compete. I go at my own pace now. Did the Ozarks a couple years back. Black Hills this past summer and I'm in the planning stages for a ride to Hyder next summer.
    My only limitation is fatigue at night so I don't ride much after dark.
    I'm 6'3" and 235lbs. Like others, I keep in shape. Play Racquetball three times a week and during the Minnesota winters, I spend more time at the gym working out; concentrating on upper body.
    I eat and drink what I want but not to excess.
    My current ride is a K1600GT. I have not had any issues with the weight...as a matter of fact, I prefer it over a light bike.
    I don't see myself hanging up my helmet anytime soon and as long as I'm physically able to ride you'll see me on the road. :D

20170709_110840.jpg
    murin, msahern5, drtyrrel and 5 others like this.