1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    62 here. Just traded in a Daytona 675R not because of age or flexibility but because I needed a more practical Iron Butt bike. 3 years ago I was bitten by the LD bug. Since then I've done a few SS1k rides, a BBG (1500 miles/24 hours) and a 50CC Gold (under 50 hours NYC to SF) - all on my BMW K100RS.
    The new-to-me '09 R1200RT is a bit more practical, since I might do a 48/10 next summer.

Oh, our son's Ducati SS is in our garage while he lives & works overseas. I am keeping it "exercised" :-)
    Uke, davyjones and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    70 here and riding more than ever. I think I’m a better rider than ever also. Intend to ride as long as I can without making mistakes. Ride a new GS. Outstanding all around bike. I would like to add something smaller, more sporty, Tuono, FZ10, S1000R ? Maybe XSR900? The GS will go, but smaller is more fun.
  3. SaSaMCKZ

SaSaMCKZ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In reading this thread, on the advice of my partner - who is approaching 61 and has ridden a good portion of those years - I am 54 years old and only have 2 years of riding under my belt. My first bike - my Suzi - is a lovely beast and I hope to ride her into my sunset. Nice to see riding doesn't have an age limit. :clap
    Sparrowhawk, davyjones and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    58 hard years of living, broken back, arm, collar bone, finger (middle), hip, multiple many concussions, too short, too pissed off, too much alcohol, not enough women, not enough money. Too cold this morning. 6.2 C now. New Tim Hortons card in the wallet.

Got lost, got the DR650 stuck on a narrow road, difficult to turn around, previously CB125, GPZ 305, BWS 50, Geely 150 scooter, KLX250, and now a Honda Forza 300 maxi-scooter, 80 mpg, former wreck like me, rebuilt like me, both look ugly but I don't care. Not enough women but my poodle loves me.

This computer stuff sucks, I am going riding in 3 pairs of long underwear and women's trouser socks.
    Super08, davyjones, knight and 3 others like this.
  5. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    You live as we dream
  6. Wootykazoo

Wootykazoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "If I knew I was going to live this long,
    I'd have taken better care of myself."

Eubie Blake

at 62, my mind says that I can still ride that drag bike (see profile pic), body says no. Now I ride 650 thumper.
    davyjones, Meriwether, OhBoy and 2 others like this.
  7. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reality is starting to sink-in little by little. Unfortunately my passion of riding motorcycles is definetely being affected by my age. As I approach the 70 year old benchmark I realize that my endurance is no longer there, I have new aches in places that I never had before (joints and muscles), need to stop more frequently to smell and water the flowers, rides longer than 250-300 miles are no longer joyful, need to use the GPS to secure my routes, etc..

I wish I did all of those “dreamed” long rides and visited all those far away places while as was younger, but that portion of the window of opportunity is gone and I must squeeze as many rides as I can in the remaining portion of "my window", it is either “now or never” (meaning; within the next few years..). I'll ride until I no longer can do it. Currently on a BMW F650gs twin, but have a couple of other heavier BMW bikes idled in the garage.
    Uke and davyjones like this.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m at 70. I share your condition. But, I enjoy the amount of time I have available now that I’m retired. 300 miles a day is fine but I could do 500. I’ve ridden 17,000 since May 1 this year. Not iron butt worthy, but a lot for me. I’d love a long trip next year. I share your thoughts but also appreciate waking up each day. I have several friends that aren’t doing that anymore. I try to appreciate each day.
    pratered, tire joe and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Coming up on 72 in January.
    I can still do 400 + miles per day on these small bikes. I got in a little over 15,000 miles this year with one three day trip of 1,000 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    xnihilo, Super08, ontrip and 8 others like this.
  10. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta watch out for some of them old farts too.......I have been thoroughly humbled in the past by guys over 65 years old....
  11. BadgerDog

BadgerDog It was a dark and story night...

Oddometer:
    Old guys rock.

Afternoon (418).jpg
    xnihilo, scfrank, davyjones and 4 others like this.
  12. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The "age factor" only makes us more cautious, forces us to take frequent breaks, enjoy the ride and nature. My dream ride probably will not happen, I want to go to "Tierra deal Fuego", Ushuaia ... the tip end of South America. But that's fine, I was lucky enough to ride portions of the Pan-American highway and some of the high Andes roads. Likewise, I did not complete the TAT ride, but I was able to ride portions of it. I'm blessed to live in the western side of the Ozark's, in NW Arkansas, very near the TAT. I can take beautiful daily rides on pave, dirt, do water crossings... The riding season stretches from early March to mid-November... There is good food for those hungry riders, Oark, Catalpa, Grand'ma place, doc.. I'm retired.. life is good!

Drop me a PM if you are near her, I'll be more than glad to show you my play ground, my "back yard".. Cheers!
  13. Joezeph

Joezeph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a feckin' brilliant feckin' video made by a youngster (50+) fro Aussie who like to feckin' swear alot, (which is OK in my feckin' World) but it does make me want to pack up & move to that feckin' penal colony just to find some feckin' like minded mates!!!!
    PS, there is just a little feckin' swearing in the video, but it's all lighthearted stuff & not meant to upset the thin skinned old farts on here! :lol3
  14. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were riding in Big Bend a few years ago, took a leisurely :ricky up to the McDonald Observatory.
    Then here comes a crotch rocket going 110+ with little to absolutely no regard for the next corner.
    When we get to the top and pull in the parking lot here is a 70+ wrinkled, limping ol'e boy asking how we liked his passing ability, said he was going 130 mph. Then proceeded to tell us about his knee replacements, broken bones, flat track crashes and............ Wonderful experience I will never forget, the bike was new with 300 miles on it, first ride.
    pwh, mikegc, CSI and 1 other person like this.
  15. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I'm 63, and have been riding since I was 14 pretty much non-stop except for a couple of short Army deployments. I'm not in great shape, but not overweight. A little pudgy around the middle maybe. Most of that stems from a desk job where I sit all day.

A couple of years ago, I added a Valkyrie to the stable, mostly to make the GF comfortable hoping she'd ride with me more.
    I already had a ZRX1100 and a few other bikes, but they're not great for passengers and half an hour on it made her back hurt. My 16 year old granddaughter complained of the same discomfort, so I listened.
    [​IMG]
    So I bought the Valk. It was pretty and I liked it a lot. She rode with me a few times, but mostly to humor me.
    It's not her passion but she does indulge me now and then.
    [​IMG]
    I liked it on the freeway, but mostly I rode it around town where it was too unwieldy at low speeds for me, so I sold it and got a Mini Cooper with the money. [​IMG]

Then I picked up a Bandit 1200S, a theft recovery from an auction for $450. I put it back together and got it running and it seemed a better travelling bike than the ZRX. This was a 525 mile day from the Seattle area down to the Oregon border and then east along the river... and then back home. It did great.
    [​IMG]

So I bolted a Shad 48 liter top box onto it, and it helped a lot with the passenger back problems. Plus top boxes are ugly but addicting because of the storage space.
    I blame the Valk for getting me started down that road. I liked the Bandit a lot, but I really wanted hard bags. So I sold the Bandit on down the road, and bought a 2011 FJR1300.
    [​IMG]

I kept the Shad box and bolted it onto the FJR. Swapped the stock pipes for 2 Brothers, and added a taller windshield. My gf still doesn't ride with me any more frequently, but suddenly I'm a lot more interested in rider events and longer trips.

I think with the Valk, I fell in with the long distance crowd, and that's just not me. I have no need to ride across the country or to do an Iron Butt ride.
    But with the FJR, it's more 200-300 miles a day, and I like that range. It's heavier than the ZRX or the Bandit, but not as heavy as the Valk. More importantly, it handles its weight well, acting like a normal bike during starts and stops, where I was always uncomfortable with the Valk at low speeds.

I keep telling myself it's like the Bandit with hard bags, but really it's like the Bandit with hard bags and an additional 175 bolted on somewhere. The Bandit and the ZRX had similar wind protection- keeping the bugs off the gauges, and no wind below about my sternum at highway speeds. The FJR with the barn door windshield (Rifle +5 light tint) creates this vacuum where suddenly the speed doesn't matter much because it's quiet inside. And it's an electric windshield, so I can raise and lower it. (That's LOWERED in the picture above. It'll go up 5' higher.)

Being an inline 4 1300cc engine, it'll get right along when you twist the throttle and hold it there. It actually surprised me how well it moves when you really crank it.

So I'll keep riding as long as I can- my father quit at 55, but I'll ride as long as I'm capable. The FJR has a high and low seat position, and I have it up high for more leg room. Then I have an Airhawk2 seat pad, although Seat Concepts guts are on the way. I'm riding to Prescott AZ with the COG group this weekend, and in the planning stages for a sport-touring event, Ride the Rockies in June 2018.
    davyjones, BadgerDog and willfreely like this.
  16. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:

Couple of years back, we were riding the twisties of NW Arkansas.....

I am probably 4th in line (#2 was one of those 65 plus yr old guys that I could NOT keep up with), and thinking I am doing pretty good.

I am watching the mirror, and notice a bike creeping closer......we finally get to a 25 MPH right hander, which I run thru at 50 +.....the bike that HAD been behind me, passes me on the outside. To add insult to injury, the rider WAVES as he goes by...

Yea....he was a late 60s/early 70s grey haired guy that had spent a couple of decades racing WERA back when he was but a young middle aged fella...
    davyjones and TrashCan like this.
  17. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    64 years old, I picked up a one year old Tiger in March. Six months later I’d put 10,000 miles on it. A third of that was a 3741 mile trip over 19 days. First two days out were 500+ mile days. After that I decided that I prefer 400 mile days. I want to travel more slowly, camp, and enjoy the trip. I bought a Tiger 800 XCx low because I’m 5’8” and want to be able to plant both feet on the ground, and have a bike that can haul me to my friends houses who live on crappy dirt roads from New Hampshire to New Mexico. I wanted a bike that I could pick up, and I can squat and pick this one up, but it’s a PIA to do so because the weight is high, a real PIA if it goes over and the road is uphill gravel. Have considered getting a Tiger XRX, they’re a bit lower, but not before I put many more miles on this Tiger. Would certainly like a bike that has its weight lower when I’m doing a squat to get it standing up, but can wait for that. This is my second bike, the last one was a ‘77 Bonnie -back in ‘77. Sold it sometime in the mid-eighties because I got married and started having kids, but the youngest just graduated from college so it was time for a bike. Yes, a 30+ year gap. I approach my riding today as training. Every ride I take is training me for the next ride. I try to set small goals each trip; e.g., practice a turn, ride a certain lane, test out a piece of gear, find a non-ethanol gas station, ride in certain conditions, at certain temperatures, at different times of day, whatever. I’m in pretty good shape, but I know I’m not as, flexible, strong, or quick as I once was. But still I hope to ride for several more years. I have no need for speed, or an urge to iron butt. I want to enjoy my ride, stop and set up a camp, cook dinner, and relax before turning in, and I want to feel fresh enough the next day to want to do it again. When I ride like this I meet people, and to me that’s part of the trip, an important part. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Rob-Roamin

Rob-Roamin Knees in the breeze

Oddometer:
    I'm 61 and bought my first bike at 17 however like a lot of riders I had a long time off motorcycles when marriage and children arrived in my mid 30s
    Got back in the saddle in 2008 and am riding more than I ever did as a young fella
    Gave up working in 2012 and have since shipped my bike overseas 3 times to explore the world
    On my last big trip to Europe in 2016 I covered 23 countries and 28000 kilometres over 5 months and realised that I was hungry for more
    Hoping to get to North America for about 6 months in 2018
    I have met so many great people in my travels including a lot of older blokes (70s) riding motorcycles long distance and have been inspired by their attitudes about getting out of their comfort zones and tackling new adventures - one of these blokes started riding at 67 and 5 years later has ridden around the world in 3 separate trips
    While I'm in fairly good shape I do have health issues and suffer from chronic pain however I find riding long trips is the best therapy for my physical and emotional wellbeing
    I can't think of anything I would rather be doing more than heading off on another long distance solo trip with a loose plan and an open mind about tackling some new experiences
  19. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think low CoG is more important than weight, everything else being equal. My GSA WC factory low suspension is a much easier handling bike than my Gen II FJR. At 56, 5'6" and a 29.5" inseam, I'm very happy with the ease of handling at low speed, or when pushing it around. I've had the bike in SoCal since September, storing it in a 5x10 storage unit with the roll up door on the long side, and I can maneuver it in through a 4' door, down a hall, and then 'parallel park' it in the unit by myself easily. I'd hate to try this with the FJR.

If I was choosing a dual sport or dirt bike, lighter is better. For long road trips, especially when there'll be some slab time with trucks, etc., the GSA's 580 lbs wet is fine. I'm in Irvine tonight and will head back to San Diego tomorrow on I5, and the GSA is as good for this, or for commuting from my Airbnb to the office, as it was coming down 395 through eastern Oregon or over Tioga Pass.

I want to try the new 2018 GW, just because. I don't see what it gives me that the GSA doesn't, and it won't have the versatility of the GSA. But, buying motorbikes is not that bad of a sin... unlike hookers and blow at least you have something non-medical and enduring for your money.
    DirtyOldMan likes this.
  20. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    60 here and 16 in the stable. 40k this year so far. I rode five of the bikes, and over 5k off-road. Keep it going as long as the cages don't turn you into fertilizer.