The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    My spreadsheet of all my motorcycles says hookers would be cheaper but shorten my lifespan a lot.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. TarTripper

TarTripper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant lean any more on this bike so I'm just going to have to get me a Street Triple for trackdays in my 60's!

1BB_4019.jpg
    davyjones, Macho Man2, CSI and 2 others like this.
  3. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 68 constantly evaluating the riding conditions: if "for sure" the ride will stay only on pavement, then I take my old R1100RT (confortable ride), but if the ride will deviate to dirt, the I take my F650GS twin. However, even the 650 is becoming pretty heavy and considering downsizing to a 350cc or less. When off road, I try hard NOT to be alone or ride on well visited roads. It sucks to get old!
    davyjones and Uke like this.
  4. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    68 here, have a three year-old 1190R and sometimes struggle a little tossing a leg over being a bit stiff. About 1 1/2 year ago I got a great deal on a H-D FatBob, I was originally thinking I'd try to flip it, but after riding it a few times decided I liked it and that I'd keep it. Much mellower vibe and quite low to the ground, and I am gradually using it as much as the 1190R, and suspect that I'll use it for most of my road riding in the next few years.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    75 years young here. I've been riding for 50+ years. I can still managed 500 mile days of highway. I keep most of my off pavement days to gravel. I also ride a '04 Ducati ST3, a '95 Ducati 900 SS/SP and last but not least, a '78 BMW R100S. My wife still rides pillion and has 35 years of riding behind me, both on pavement as well as gravel roads. Life is good.
    DSCN0623.JPG
    Amigo, ktmcrush, yosso and 21 others like this.
  6. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Great to see your post. AT 64 coming up 65.. I am wondering if there will be motorcycling for me post 70. Who knows.. if not.. then just in case I am thinking of getting a new bike. Looks like might be a GS1200. Go out and rage in style!
    dondesmo likes this.
  7. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    58 here with a couple of very week knees, had them since freshman days in high school. my problem isn't swinging my leg over the seat but getting the bike off the side stand so my wing doesn't see as much road work as the mighty ST 1300. still thinking about something with less weight to ride in the future
    davyjones likes this.
  8. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    73.75 here, finished riding my 49th state last June on my '09 FJR. Someone here earlier said the FJR is boring....wonder if he ever rode one? Anyway, I found my daily driver bike in a Vespa 300ie Super. Yep, a SCOOTER! Light weight, step through frame, 80 mph top speed (anything but boring at 75). The only two compaints I have with it are lack of suspension travel and a killer seat. Oh, and a 120 mile limit fuel capacity. Oh, yeah, I still have the FJR for when I want to cover long distances in a short and comfy manner. And it only as 84,000 miles.....
    Macho Man2, willfreely and TrashCan like this.
  9. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    At 61, nothing is more fun than meeting up with a group of hipsters at a red light. They give me and the Griso the thumbs up and their jaws drop when I flip the helmet open to reveal a bearded old fart. :doh
  10. NickW1

NickW1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An FJR is anything but boring, fantastic exhilarating ride, but I guess it all depends on the level of excitement your looking for. In any event, I find as I age (59) weight of the bike and loss of flexibility are my main issues, so I stretch/ exercise everyday to try and stay somewhat flexible. I was lucky to find a great Physical Therapist that also rode bikes, she showed me many exercises that helped with various age related problems, the best investment I have ever made is a $35 foam roller. There's many foam roller exercises on YouTube, hope that's of help to someone.

As far as bike weight is concerned I had to become a smarter rider, parking in places where I didn't have to manually move the beast (2015 Triumph Trophy) around, practicing more slow maneuvering drills letting the bike do the work etc... To be fair the Trophy is heavy but once she's moving she's amazingly agile.

We ride, grow old and die, if we're lucky.
    CSI and davyjones like this.
  11. richarddacat

richarddacat No fruit in my cookies! Supporter

Oddometer:
    60 next month, loving the FJR.
    Would like to get back in the dirt but for now time limits me to the pavement where my two current bikes serve me well.
    Besides arthritic thumbs and a brittle low-back I’m still feeling invincible.
    CSI likes this.
  12. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be 66 this Feb. I love my 2012 FJR.
    The previous owner added electronic cruise which I used on a 2500 mile trip.
    I dont find the weight a problem but each spring I find a parking lot and pratice slow speed moves.
    I guess it helps that I am 6 ft 5 in tall and weigh 280 lbs.
    Anyone who says the FJR can not be exciting to ride has not really turned up the wick on a mountain road in my opinion.
    I have worn some material off the foot peg feelers.
    The bike does need some mods to be truly comfortable on a long trip.
    Mine has bar risers and it needs a talker windshield and a new seat but not many bikes are a perfect fit out of the box.
    I think my next one will be a KTM as I really want to explore some of the hundreds of kms of logging roads here and the FJR is not really suited for that type of riding.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    davyjones likes this.
  14. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes you wonder why Yamaha doesn't use FJRs for their race teams, being so exciting and fast like they are.
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 61, and got busted up pretty bad a couple of years ago. I have limited use of my left arm and leg. I still enjoy riding my '16 GS, and love strafing the twisties. As long as I can keep moving, I'm fine, but stopping can be pretty challenging. I don't like riding in city traffic at all any more, where it didn't bother me before the wreck 3 years ago. Same goes for those dirt roads the GS guys call "off road"...as long as I don't have to stop off camber, I'm great.

Everetto, the OP, mentioned having to "give it up altogether, and buy something with 3 wheels"...I have a Bonneville sidecar rig that I bought when I was fresh out of the wheelchair (or still in it, I don't remember), and it's a lot of fun pushing it hard in the twisties too. Depending on body English, I can either drift the rear tire, or fly the chair. But I always pick the 2 wheeler for longer rides, and wonder how long it will be before I feel the need for something lighter, lower, and maybe with Honda's DCT transmission...still don't want to do chain maintenance though.
    davyjones and Rockred like this.
  16. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Will be 58 soon, and this cartoon describes me to a tee.

Rode in my college days, had a bad crash that I walked away from and then life got serious. More school, 2nd degree, marriage, kids...left the bikes behind me.

Then about 12 years ago I decided that the kids were old enough, I was heavily insured and I got back into riding. My wife was very supportive and even said, "Why would I try to stop you from doing something you love?" She knows the risks and accepts them because she accepts me.

Anyhow....I have 2 bikes, and would own more but for 2 reasons;

1. Storage. Fixing that in the next year or so and building an 800 square foot "shop" in the back.

2. Insurance. I can only ride one bike at a time and here in BC they basically force you to buy a minimum of 3 months insurance if you want to insure a bike. I wish they'd allow one policy to cover them all, just charge according to the most expensive ride. Unfortunately that's not how it works, so it gets complicated (and expensive) insuring too many bikes at once.

Regardless, when I got back into riding I started again on a Yamaha VStar 1100, then upgraded to a Victory Gunner about 3 years later.

I have ridden the Gunner To Dawson and back to Vancouver Island, taken it through 8 NW States, and enjoyed every minute of it. Then I bought a 2nd bike, a Suzuki VStrom DL 1000 (2006) and took it on a longer ride through BC with friends last year.

I was surprised to find it so comfortable, much more so than the Gunner for long rides and it is now my "go to " ride on long trips. Looking back I can't believe I rode my Gunner on those long trips with nary a complaint.

Then again, as many here have pointed out, it might not entirely be the bike that makes me sore,....it might be father time.
    Billy52, davyjones and Uke like this.
  17. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    A shop "800 foot" long???

I know I pay my dentist a lot of money but you must charge a fortune!!!
    JustKip likes this.
  18. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    My bad...supposed to say 800 square foot shop. Fixed it...and lowered my rates too! (not!)
    Uke likes this.
  19. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    My dream house is a one bedroom with a 6 car garage.
  20. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    73 ride every day, planning on coming to the US next March, buy a bike and ride it till I've seen everything. Most of the money I've ever earnt I've spent on bikes, the rest I've wasted