The Aging Road Rider Thread

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by everetto, Oct 22, 2017.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am an old noob. I started riding at 58, now I am 63. I prefer to ride off road, usually alone and in remote areas. I started with a KLX250 moved up to a DRZ and now on a WR450F.

I have always wanted to ride but a injury at age 15 had me thinking I didn't have what it takes. Bought a Honda on Sunday and Monday was in the hospital for a month. On and off crutches for 2 years with 3 operations.

Fast forward 43 years, kids grown and out of the house. I felt the need to try it again, but this time with lessons (MSF class) and protective gearATGATT. I want to explore the back roads and mountains of New Mexico. Love it. I have added riding to my other afflictions: Hot air Ballooning, snow skiing. sailing mountain biking, and windsurfing. I have ridden some of the nicer parts of the 4 corner states. Still much more to ride. Planning on the NMBDR and then the CDT next summer. Attended some of the near by dual sport rides.

A friend of mine who is a little older and a much better rider, at the end of a day in the San Juan mountains above Silverton CO, asked the question, "How many years do you think we can keep doing this?" My answer was, "All of them!"
    ktmcrush, cal08, pratered and 8 others like this.
  2. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Dad is 72 and rides an 1800 Wing with extreme prejudice (well...sustained 55mph on the BRP in hard rain, for a point of reference), so don't worry too much. Stay in shape, hit the gym, etc. By the time you're forced to make bike choices based on your strength etc. we'll all be riding 240hp hydrogen powered stuff.

As for the three wheel thing, I"m not doing that. I'm 50, and I'm not so healthy as my Dad. I can see the day when this will be required if I wanted fully open motoring. Trikes just don't interest me at all...all of the danger of riding with none of the fun stuff IMO. When that time comes, you'll find me behind the wheel of a '71 Chevelle convertible or some such.
    Sparrowhawk and davyjones like this.
  3. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    As others have said, of course it's a to-each-his-own thing. I owned, raced and loved an FZR400, but I wouldn't ride one on the street if you paid me. It does absolutely nothing under 10,000 RMP, and riding it in really tight twisties such as would be befitting such a fine machine while keeping it over the 10k means immediately riding faster than I'm willing to ride pace-wise on public roads. An RS250 would be even worse...you're either riding it at near-track pace, or it's awful. If that pace is ok with you on the street, then that's your choice. If it isn't, there are roughly, well...every other motorcycle that exists, that's a better street bike than a tiny high-strung sport bike.

On a side note, 2-up riding with a significant other is a special and wonderful activity that nothing else quite duplicates. My second 'date' with my wife and mom of my kids was a week in the Smokies 20up on my buddy's GPz1100. That week is the second best experience of my life. It is sad to me that you purposely avoid it. But again, to each his own.

Again, all just my opinion.
    davyjones and bomose like this.
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know a Gpz 1100 has a strong engine, but 20 up ? Where'd you put everybody ?:lol3
    Uke likes this.
  5. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Like you said, your opinion, not mine.

Remember, I said for adrenaline. But would also like to add, for the pure enjoyment of the machine even if it is not continuously operated at redline.

Riding a pair of RD350's for many years and later an RZ I never found them to be awful. I also rode/had both the Aprilia RS 250 and RS 50 and could not find any awfulness. Typical 2 stroke performance, real power comes on at about 7-9 (depending on bike) and off you go with a light and nimble bike. Up to that point power is reasonable and you just work with it, even with the 50cc stuff. Would love to have a streeted RS250 (like in Europe), but didn't. Still have a Suzuki RGV250 (VJ21), TZ125, and a Derbi GPR50R within the stable as the 2 stroke addiction is permanent. The FZR400 is just about even or a tick above the Suzuki RGV250 (VJ23) in performance.

Since I can't buy a 2 stroke I added an R3;
    00P0P_jmElmsgXiXe_1200x900.jpg

It's power deliver reminds of a 2 stroke.

What brought me joy was teaching my girls (SO and daughter) to ride, watching them get their endorsements, seeing their growing skill levels, and the enjoyment on their faces as we all rode together on the public roads.
    cal08 and davyjones like this.
  6. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 81 RD350 LC, raced it for two years and wish I still had it. A total hooligan bike for stoppies and wheelies but I could tour on it comfortably. I recently bought a KTM 390RC which is as close as I could come to the Yamaha with two less hp and slightly heavier. No wheelies with so much weight forward and no stoppies with the ABS. A friend put a TZ top end and it would wheelie at 100 mph.
    At 72 I have downsized my bikes which was easy as weight has always been the enemy in my bikes.
    CaseyJones likes this.
  7. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just turned 70 here; still get out for the occasional blat on the '16 GSA when it doesn't interfere with my nap...

Last long Ride Report HERE.

--Doc
    yosso, dickosaurus and bomose like this.
  8. augerdin

augerdin Continuously amazed.

Oddometer:
    In 1967 I started riding motorcycles. Now, at age 60, I ride as often as I can. One day last week I rode 370 miles to deliver my Oui-Strom to my son in law. Saturday I took a leisurely 120 mile ride on my Guzzi. Today (Monday) I did the same thing. 60 may not seem old to some and I agree. I have COPD (never smoked-what a rip off!) Parkinsons disease, a weak immune system and a lot of strangely healed broken bones, so it's not the years but being rode hard and put away wet that has aged me. I don't get to ride as much as I want to, but I ride as often as I can even if it is for only a half hour or so. I don't drive a car very much because with parkinsons it can be a little frightening, however, riding seems to stimulate my senses and makes me feel alive and confident.
    Pantah, cal08, luftkoph and 7 others like this.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm turning 69 in January. Probably the last two motorcycles I purchased I envisioned as my 'twilight bike'. They were a 2012 KTM 690R and last year a 2016 Honda Africa Twin. But somehow I don't think either of these will be my last. I also have an old Ducati sportbike, but it is mostly a garage queen since I can't ride it much more than an hour at a time. I will be full time in Scottsdale next April. AZ, UT, NV and NM offer terrific riding no matter what your discipline is. Some days I'd like to have a cruiser (which I have never owned). Other days I'd like to build a street tracker. Then other days yet I'd like to have a KTM 350EXC-F, which is a 240 lb dual sport. It's not that I ride a lot, though. I usually take a few long trips and then don't ride again for long stretches. But I have entered the 2018 Alcan5000 next August. It is a TSD rally that goes from Seattle to the Yukon and then across and down to the finish in Anchorage. It will have two or three timed sections each day. Then I have to ride 2400 miles back to Seattle to load my truck and drive home. The Alcan is over 9 days and covers about 4600 miles of tar and dirt. But the whole trip will take most of the month. I think I'll ride my 690, but I may be done riding after that for a very long time.
    Chaostrophy, Richy and bomose like this.
  10. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pushing 68, been riding since ‘62. 5’10”, 160lbs. Between wrecks and other health issues, Im not as strong as I once thought I was so I decided to get some smaller, lighter machines. Sold my RoadGlide and bought a vRod Street Rod. It’s still plenty heavy but 200 lbs lighter than the RG. I’m very happy with it and used vRods are a bargain. I’d been riding Hayabusas for quite a while(probably 130K miles on them) and while they are great machines, they aren’t know for svelteness either. I sold my last busa with 70K on it and bought a used Ducati 1098. Plenty of power and probably 100 lbs lighter. I keep my old evo Sportster too, it’s just a great machine.
    My neighbor has new HD trike and I rode it in for warranty work last week. No thanks, if I can’t ride two wheel, I’m going Corvette ragtop.
    mikegc likes this.
  11. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Scottsdale winter home is next to Cave Creek, which is a cruiser mecca every weekend. If course it is also a retirement community so it is loaded with 70ish people driving their dream cars from their youth and also their dream motorcycles. I have noticed a growing population of H-D trikes and those Polaris three-wheel roadsters. I'm with you. I don't get the trikes. When the time comes for me I'll be driving a Caterham Super Seven.

http://us.caterhamcars.com
  12. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I get older I have noticed an increase in arthritis related joint pains after long rides (+4hrs), the pain is mainly around the wrists and the knuckles, right hand more than left. I googled it for information and Carpal Tunnel issues came up all relating to the type of bike, the overall riding position, the hand position, etc.. I ride a BMW-F650GS twin, standard seat. I'm 5'-8" -200 lb, short legged rider and this bike suits me fine.

Besides Tylenol, Advil, soaking your hands in Epson sals, etc., i read no over-the-counter physical/medical solutions/cures. Vibration absorbers, softer tire (20-25 pig) pressures, padded gloves, are among mechanical suggestions. I guess the last option would be a Carpal Tunnel operation.

I wonder if any of you guys out there have found a solution to relief this discomfort. Three of my riding buddies also complain about this problem, so I think this may be more common than we think!.... Cheers!

13. Valker

Valker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had both carpal tunnels released years ago (I'm 63). I found it to be quick and easy surgery. I had them done about 5 years apart. No issues since.
    davyjones likes this.
  14. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Playing with bar bend and position can surely help and I've found urber-smooth bikes (like an ST1300) are generally better than more vibey bikes (like thumpers) but before going to that sort of trouble I would try a simple & cheap thing that quite often helps on bikes I've owned: Grip Puppies. It's simply a soft neoprene sleeve that slides over the existing grips increasing the diameter (more relaxed hand position) and providing more isolation (less vibe gets thru).

https://advdepot.com/products/grip-puppies-2

'may help, may not but at $20 or under its worth a try and is easy to reverse should you not like them. 'Good luck.
    Chaostrophy and davyjones like this.
  15. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Beer & weed.
    However this is perhaps an overall analgesic combination as I have been using it long before the onset of arthritis.
    Motonirvana, PeanutRider, Uke and 5 others like this.
  16. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Calling Hipower90.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  17. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you ride with a wind screen? Too little screen and you're continually blasted and when too hot or cold the wind saps you in an accelerated fashion. Too much screen and your arms, from hands to shoulders, are carrying the weight of your trunk. Find the right screen and you get enough breeze to support your trunk and hopefully cool you when it's hot. BTW, I have a National Cycle Deflector Screen on my AirHead Beemer (R100R) and it is the mama bear of screens for me, not too hot, not too cold, etc.

Do you have a throttle lock, or a wrist rest to transfer the load of the throttle from your grip to your wrist? I use a throttle lock on long stretches of slab, I can pull my right hand off the grip and rest it on my tank bag, I do the same for my left, just not at the same time. But to be fair, I've not been bothered by hand or wrist pain. Now my shoulders, but that's personal.

Consider different grips, too. There are choices in what you wrap you finger around. Maybe barbacks are in your future. When there's a will, there's a way.

If you can take ibuprofen (advil) or naproxen (aleve), both NSAIDs, be proactive in medicating yourself, there is little reason to live with pain if a remedy is available over the counter.

We all age, the rub is to adjust our riding style to mesh with our age. As much as I admire the R90S & R100S, I couldn't ride far with the S bars or any clip-ons, and not pay a physical price.

18. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have softer grips, and have modified the position of the handlebar as to raise my hands about 1.5" and bring it towards me also about 1.5" (pict below). It changes my riding position, makes me ride more vertical with my elbows bent a bit more than without. It helps but not enough on long rides.

Now I'm going after the natural remedies and go riding the R1100RT instead and see what happens. Lots of people swear by the Turmeric. I will try this next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Dr. swears Tumeric is good for everything.

I am 60 years old. I had a Suzuki 90 at 16, and dropped out of riding after a year. I picked it up again at 50. I started out with a Chinese scooter, then a Nighthawk 650, and then a 00 ST1100 abs. I also picked up an XT225 for RV trips. I've lowered the ST an inch and 1/2, added Helibar risers and a Russell seat. I would like to get something lighter, but I can handle the ST well enough, and I'm afraid I would have to give up a lot of weather protection. I almost always ride without the bags. The XT can handle anything but extended interstate, and the ST is good for all day traveling on almost any road. I would like to get a CB500x abs, but I couldn't part with either of the bikes I have.
  20. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    67 in two weeks and I need more pee stops before. Oh, and if I could get a new O ring installed to stop the leakage I wouldn't be so sore.