The Air Cooled Monoshock Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Feb 19, 2018.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool vintage video, Norman, of the world round with sections that look more like ours.

Re magnetizing flywheel magnets is entirely new to me. Nothing I would ever have thought of. Pretty cool!
    Brewtus likes this.
  2. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Yep, that's me

Oddometer:
    I have decided I need to do the crank seals on my 94 Alp 240. Seals look easy enough to get but I'm not finding a source for gaskets in the US.
    Is there a source I'm over looking or do I need to order from over seas?

Thank you,
    Joe
  3. motobene

Oddometer:
    In the event you just can't get gaskets and the ones you have break, a fall-back plan is clean the case halves very well and use a good silicone-based sealer and no gasket. It's possible your center cases are sealer only and no gasket. You can tell by looking at the seam.

I've used clear silicone 1 for years. I always have it around in a caulk gun tube. It's good to about 500 degrees. I once removed the thick copper head gasket on a TY to correct the squish by reassembling with no gasket. I Scotchbrite cleaned the surfaces and applied a thin skin of silicone 1 to both mating surfaces with quick assembly before the silicone could skin over. Got rid of ping ping ping from way to wide squish and no leaks at all... for years.

Another thing I do is when the gasket does separate nicely to one side I reassemble with grease. If the gasket on the retained side comes loose in places I back that up with silicone 1 with a tiny screw driver and then grease the second side. Or you can silicone 1 both sides if you never intend to break into the cases again. If the gasket comes loose I try to I carefully loosen it with an Exacto knife entirely then reuse the gasket. I have reused gaskets that break in one place but the break is clean. Silicone 1 covers a multitude of foibles!
    Brewtus and slicktop like this.
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Finished up some Teammates bikes, some customer bikes, got some welding and fab work done, worked on my '72 Tin Grille Dodge car hauler....maybe it's time for some Montesa love?

When I assembled the 304 2 months ago, I literally slapped it together. Didn't even set the points gap, absolutely no clue where the timing is, resistor plug installed that's 2 steps colder than the spec plug (it's what I had on hand). I just wanted to see if it would start, which it did. Reassembled it today, started it and actually warmed it up -

20200301_110021.jpg

After it choked-n-smoked on LOTS of mix in the crankcase (gee, wonder how that happened :rolleyes) she warmed up and settled into a nice idle. Never did that since I owned it. Took it out for a quickie spin and, yeah it needs some tuning (shocking!!) but it does run!! Getting closer.....:evil

After the ignition, I'm considering a Mid-Atlantic OKO carb that I keep hearing about and "retiring" the Amal to shop art......
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am happy with the oko on the ty.I think my combination of using a yz piston and modded fmf muffler through the pre jetted set up off.He gives you extra jets but if they are not enough he will exchange jets for free.I need to swap mine with him for leaner mains and richer pilots.The float bowl seal is not carb cleaner safe.Cleaned carb because of rust in tank and should have known better as had this happen before.
    Brewtus likes this.
  6. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Shweet, thanks for the info!! Natrually I moved on from the 304 today, getting a parts list together for Miss Bitters "new" K75C -

20200301_131848.jpg

We'll see how a correct plug, correct points gap and some timing makes the old 304 smile..... :D
  7. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boxer?
  8. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Flying Brick.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  9. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Fixt
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    When (not if!!) it runs, I'll let you tell Miss Bitters that. :evil
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and 10K like this.
  11. motobene

Oddometer:
    There's the Tecate sign!
    Brewtus and jonnyc21 like this.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure have a lot of projects going on.I am starting to back down on projects as I will never get every thing I would like no matter how hard I work.It's a bummer because as I get older I am just running out of energy.After the Fantic is done my next project will be very focused on a very specific build .Going to pull the frame jig out and buy some chromoly tube.Thinking a 500cc twin in a chromoly frame modeled off a pre aluminum yz250. Most likely will be my last build before I fade out into complete obscurity lol.
    Huzband likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mid Atlantic also has a a few other things that are cool for people like us.He has venhill cable kits that are excellent quality. They come with a big variation of ends so you can fit to almost any bike.I ordered cable kits,grips and levers for ty and fantic from him a few days ago.I have the venhill kits on the TY and they are excellent quality .
    Brewtus and Huzband like this.
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    The League has a Venhill kit. Very good quality indeed! :thumb
    Junglejeff1 and Norman Foley like this.
  15. motobene

Oddometer:
    I'm limiting projects to sprucing up the 17-year-old KLR 685 for NM exploration rides and Baja - maybe. That's vintage enough for me at the moment :-)
    Huzband, Junglejeff1 and Brewtus like this.
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    What a difference (almost) a year makes -

20200315_133256_HDR.jpg

Properly cleaned and sealed crappy homemade filter did it's job with what, 6 or 8 weekends? The pic was the first "swipe" of the air inlet after the PROPERLY SEALED filter was serviced today. Quite the change, eh? :thumb I'm sure @motobene is quaking in his boots for next weekend (if he shows)..... :lol3
    DyrWolf, Huzband, Junglejeff1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the word you are looking for is.... redemption! :y0! :D
    jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  18. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I'm really hating that old Amal. Time for it to get gently placed on a shelf until the end of time..... :bluduh

20200930_124812.jpg

Time for shiny new parts for this old junk.....
    jonnyc21, Junglejeff1 and DyrWolf like this.
  19. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Did you just call a Montesa junk? :lol3

And what are you doing? I thought BMW mechanics were the only ones that hung thier bikes by the rear. :D
    jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  20. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

I certainly called this piece of fuggin' shit Amal carburetor junk, that's for sure. Damn piece of shit.... :kboom

BTW, I was a registered BMW tech in a previous life.... :thumb
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.