The Alaska State Ferry Info Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AKDuc, Jan 30, 2008.

1. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Sure....Ride up the Olympic peninsula. Go to Ozette....and then Neah Bay and then Port Angeles or Port Townsend.....ferry across to Vancouver Island. Victoria then up to Port Renfrew......circle back to the east coast of the Island, head North....ferry across to the Sunshine Coast.....South to Sechelt and then ferry to Horseshoe Bay.....Hit the Highway and back to Bellingham.

That would keep you guys busy for a few days.:clap
  2. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun http://goo.gl/maps/saojN
  3. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    That Black Ball Ferry looks like a great alternative -- thanks! Ideally, we'd like to be a bit more "remote" (mostly to avoid traffic for the noobs), but a $250 round trip is doable for 3 bikes & riders.

That looks like a great route. I'll have to avoid Interstates with the CRF230Ls, but don't mind backtracking along that routing a bit; might keep it in the hip pocket for a solo ride! :wink:

Thanks for mappin' it out. Extra credit.:lol3

Appreciate the vectors, Fellas!
  4. H96669

Oddometer:
    Hey...add the ferry from Campbell River to Powel River and back down to Sechelt. Much better circle route.:wink:
  5. tomatocity

Oddometer:
    http://goo.gl/maps/u9frK
  6. H96669

Oddometer:
    Ooops...Campbell River, no need to go all the way up there unless you want some of the best Borscht and pastries at Steiner's. :clap

Ferry is from Courtenay. Canadian route is like that:

http://goo.gl/maps/zOIIw
  7. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Not sure bout this, I did it when I came in from Hawaii years ago. Look into putting your bike in the cargo container that is loaded into an aircraft. My bike flew with me so when I landed at LA I took a taxi to the cargo terminal put my windsheild on and drove away.
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, the normally floating AMHS dock in Skagway has sunk and is closed till at least mid-May. :huh

Dock update: It appears an internal water line broke and flooded the chambers within the dock causing it to sink. In the next few days they will pump it out at low tide and refloat it. If all goes well they just have to get the ramp operational and we'll be back in business! Stay tuned!

Updated update: Refloated. :D Most recent info: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/pubs/.

http://www.ktoo.org/2014/04/24/amhs-dock-skagway-collapses/

[​IMG]
  9. havoc1

havoc1 Big Bikes, Little Brains

Oddometer:
    Very strongly considering the Haines > Prince Rupert leg 19-21JUN. I was looking at Haines > Bellingham since I'm headed to Tacoma, but it seems awfully slow and wickedly expensive. Trying to get the rest of my leave days lined up so I can get the GS shipped up to Anchorage, fly up to get it (but where? Port? More research needed!) on 11 JUN, spend 12-18 June getting as far as Atigun Pass and then back down to Haines.

I'd prefer to ride it all, but the leave time won't allow for that unless I wanted to dedicate the trip to making miles rather than making memories. I figure the ferry towards the end gives me some recharge time before the last 3 days of riding to get back down to Tacoma.

Just cocktail-napkining it, these are my stop points:
    JUNE
    12 Arrive ANC, pick up bike, get to Palmer
    13 (somewhere)
    14 Fairbanks
    15 As faqr as Atigun & back to Coldfoot
    16 Fairbanks
    17 (somewhere)
    18 into Haines
    19 Ferry from Haines, AK
    20 Ferry
    21 Arrive early & depart Prince Rupert, BC
    23 Tacoma
    24 Back to work. Ugh.

Thanks for a great thread! I figure this trip will be just enough to whet my whistle and get me fired up to do it again in the coming years with one or more of the kids.
  10. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a pretty good plan. About your bike coming to Anchorage, the company http://alaskaclassicmotion.com/ has been helping folks with shipping for years. You may also want to start a thread in the 'Alaska' forum on here to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  11. tomatocity

Oddometer:
    I understand you can get an inexpensive room at the college in Fairbanks.
  12. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    then at horseshoe bay, go north loop over hurley pass , south via west harrison :1drink

13. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    do i have to book several ferries to get from prince rupert to homer ak? bloody ferry websites are crap.
  14. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Yes, at least a couple, AND it's a long and expensive boat ride. I usually recommend doing the 2-day boat ride from Rupert to Haines.

Yay, the schedule is now easier to read. Under the 'Travel Details' in the header bar of the main page, click on 'Schedules'. Then click on the 'Colored Schedule Grids'.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
    soph9 likes this.
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a week or so ago I updated the Alaska Primer to cover the changes for the 2017 ferry schedule. It seems to me to be easier to use than the 2016 schedules.
    AKDuc and soph9 like this.
  16. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks University is a cheap layover if you are doing the Dalton.
  17. CardiffKook

CardiffKook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last post here was 2017? Not sure how that is possible given the Alaska traffic. Is this still up to date?

Primarily- can you still get on a Ferry without a reservation as long as you aren't going in/out Bellingham as posted in OP?
  18. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes and no.... Due to budget cuts and age the ferry system had eliminated several ferry's in recent years so the remaining ferry's are a bit fuller during the busy summer months. You might luck out. If you don't want to make a reservation months in advance I would suggest you call them a few days out and see what is available.

Edit:
    The main reservation number is 800-642-0066 during normal business hours.
    The number for the Haines ferry Terminal is 907-766-2111 They are open whenever a ferry is in, not just during normal business hours. This terminal is the busiest so it's my main contact number in my phone.
    The website is http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/
    AKDuc likes this.
  19. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Yep, I agree with Bigbob1. Ridership on the ferries has been down (it's VERY expensive!) the last few years so not sure if they're still packing vehicles on like they used to. I'm pretty sure they'll still always be able to squeeze a bike on.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  20. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'e taken quite a few trips on the ferry, about seven years ago it seemed close to a wash as far as cost between riding the and taking the ferry. But not any more. I wanted to go from Wittier to Bellingham, but saved a $1000.00 by going from Haines to Bellingham. Ridership is down probably because cost is so outrageous.