1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Alaska State Ferry Info Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AKDuc, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeff.

It's good to have your comments and suggestions on here.

I love ridin the Ferry. Good times. :thumb

Mark H.
  2. pinner

pinner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So we are considering comming back down from PB into valdez, Haines or someplace to catch the ferry. Sounds as though we are better off getting to Prince Rupert and riding back to Co. from there. Can we catch a single ferry that will take us the entire way. and if so what is the approximate travel time?
  3. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    If you go to Valdez, you'd have to take one ferry to Whittier then another for the long (3 days) and expensive trip to Prince Rupert. Also, that "cross Gulf" sailing only happens once every 28 days.

If you go to Haines or Skagway, you'll have a few choices a week to take the 1 1/2 day trip to Prince Rupert.

Just another reminder to those who might start to feel a bit road weary as they're coming thru British Columbia, if you ride into Prince Rupert and take the ferry up to Haines or Skagway and then return the same way at a later date, the operator of the motor vehicle goes for free. Pretty good deal if you feel like taking a bit of a rest on your lengthy journey. Granted you'll miss some pretty scenery but I know some of you will be putting in a lot of miles just to get here.

Here's the ferry link again: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  4. pinner

pinner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for the valuble insight. Talked to the booknig agent, $$$$. But hey, if it was about the money, I'd be riding around the backyard.
    Cheers, Kevin
  5. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking on the Alaska Marine Highway web site and unless I am totally messed up (wife's accusation), there are no connections between Prince Rupert and Haines. It looks like you have to get off in Juneau and wait a few days. Am I reading the schedule wrong?

I took the ferry a couple years ago from Haines to Bellingham but have been told that Prince Rupert makes a great staging area at about half the cost and the ferry system has some discounts from there as well. Am hoping I am reading their schedule wrong.
  6. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I found the correct ferry and times. Am trying to decide between Goose Bay in June or Anchorage and hanging with some friends for a few weeks. Rich
  8. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Where's Goose Bay?

Did you get the schedule figured out? Looks like a ferry comes all the way up to Haines from Prince Rupert every day or 2 with a few stops inbetween. Then going back down you'll have to get off in one port or another (like Ketchikan) and wait a few hours to catch another. There's a lot to see in KTN like totem pole parks at both ends of town or do a kayak tour, etc.

Another reminder, a lot of adver's are gonna be in Dawson Yukon on Solstice weekend. Please join us.

See ya, Mark H.
  9. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goose Bay is out on the far eastern end of Labrador at the end of 800 miles of gravel. I am actually contemplating a ride from El Paso to Goose Bay to Prudoe Bay back to El Paso.

My wife is from Anchorage and I have lots of friends and family in Alaska. I am thinking about D2D but can't get out of El Paso until June 15 (daughter's high school commencement) so five 600 mile days would be needed to reach Dawson. I rode to Alaska in 2004 so I may skip some of the Alcan, thus the interest in the ferry.

May spend about a month in Alaska fishing on the Kenai, riding up to Prudoe and generally relaxing with my best friend. He is a psychiatrist in Anchorage and we have the same taste in scotch and outdoor travel.
  10. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    If anyone else has any questions, please feel free to ask here as someone else might benefit as well.

And as always, other comments or suggestions are always welcome as well. :wink:

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible here in the "Last Frontier."

Take care. Have fun. Mark H.
  11. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Found another good link for updated road conditions in AK: http://511.alaska.gov/

Hope everyone has a good trip up and back.

See ya, Mark H.
  12. AKDuc

Oddometer:
  13. maaujai

maaujai paper airplane

Oddometer:
    This thread was immensely helpful! Thanks. I just paid 836 USD for a ride from Haines (Aug 4) to Bellingham (Aug 8)... I've got to be back to work on the 9th. That sure seems like a lot! But round-trips were not really an option for us... Too bad I saw this thread AFTER I booked the ticket!

Funny moment - I was booking (www.ferrytravel.com), filling out info on my bike. It asked for length, and, assuming it knew I had a motorcycle as the previous menu had asked, the parameters were 1-70 (no units). My KLR is 90 inches long... I thought, well, if I turn the bars to the left maybe it will lower it to 70 inches. Do they only take short bikes?? Absurd! I'll just put in 70 & deal with it later. Then I kept getting ticket quotes for something like $5,430 dollars... my stomach did an entire Olympics gymnastics routine before I figured out I was booking for a 70 foot long motorcycle.

maaujai
  14. iyeager

iyeager I lost my avatar...

Oddometer:
    Land of Dorothy and hesitant slave-owners
    Any tips on tying down? Sidestand up or down? On the centerstand? I don't want to be the n00b that has his bike fall over in transit and spill fuel all over.

Ian
  15. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Hello to all my trip plannin buddies!

Because the info here is still pertinent, I asked mod gaspipe to change this thread's title from '08 to '09. (thanks Bruce)

So this is a little bump to maybe help some adv'ers have an even better trip northward.

Warmest regards from the frozen north, Mark H.
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great info.
  18. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.
  19. HorizonSeekr

HorizonSeekr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread!

When you talk of riding from Bellingham to Prince Rupert, you mean taking 97 up to Prince George and then 16 over to prince Rupert? (about 900 miles)

Mark
  20. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    From someone who took the ferry from Bellingham to Haines, I highly recommend the experience of the Alaska Ferry. Incredible scenery, wildlife, characters on the back solarium and you have a nice rest before an epic ride. A 4 berth sure was nice for some privacy and comfort but you could do without it and be fine. Keep you eyes and mind wide open.