1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Alaska State Ferry Info Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AKDuc, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's what it would be. Actually 1 to 97 to 16... but you've got the idea.
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, the berths ARE mighty comfy. Maybe even TOO comfy, for me anyway. :wink: In all my years of ridin our ferries, and after giving in to the overpowering comfort of a berth, I find I have a much more rewarding trip if I ride up in the solarium where I get a much better view and keep more entertained by other passengers. Fun!

Wishing you all a wonderful journey, Mark H.
  3. excessivemachine

excessivemachine n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information on riding the ferry system this summer. I'm looking forward to catching it Haines and riding to Prince Rupert. Sounds like it's going to be a blast :D
  4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also checking the routes as I may ride up from CA (picking up a bike) back to ANC.
    How much time would be saved taking the ferry from PR to Haines versus the WA to Haines trek? Shipping quotes for the bike were around 2K which I think I can do much better and have a better time!

SAS
  5. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome ADVn00b excessivemachine! :wave You're the second Alaskan ZX-14 owner to join up here in the last week. :brow

ThatGuy, getting on the ferry in Prince Rupert instead of Bellingham, WA saves you about a day and a LOT of money. And as mentioned, the road into PR is beautiful! And don't forget, they're offering the 10% off if you go out of PR again this year.

Riding the ferry from PR to Haines instead of motorcycling is about the same time wise as it takes 2 days but I think it's a fun ride. And again, the 120mi between Haines, AK and Haines Junction Canada is one of the best! :wink:

And remember, this year you'll need a passport.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  6. RXV_Poor

RXV_Poor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread:freaky. My mates and are have some $ issues with the ferries and this helped out a lot. It may even change our trip and we may just explore southern AK instead of heading up north.
  7. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    I head out of Bellingham on 22nd May heading to Whittier , any one else on this trip . Cheers Toddy :strum
  8. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Dharmadon

Dharmadon road warrior

Oddometer:
    Just a little add-on note to this thread... made the run from Skagway to Hyder in one day...not an early start or that "late" of an arrival...Bid my friends off on their road trip and rode back the next day(june) 700 miles of smokin those long empty stretches and a little construction work...:wink:
  10. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    You're all very welcome. Just wanting to help make the trip north as pleasant as possible for my adv brethren.

Well Meaning Marko
  11. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Just a thanks for the info bump!
  12. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    I am currently in Kenai and might be returning via the Haines - Prince Rupert ferry. Kenai to Tok, 500 miles; Tok to Haines, 400 miles. Not sure what the miles are from Prince Rupert but I am looking forward to the Frazier Canyon ride.
  13. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. PaxRider

PaxRider Fighting the Man daily!

Oddometer:
    Hey we didnt know about tie downs and bought some from a home depot or Lowes along the way in canada. this is totally doable but be ready to get ripped off. we paid way to much for our but we had no other choice
  15. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just like to add my own thumbs-up to the ferry experience.I was in Ak. in 2006 with a group of friends. We vanned to Glacier then rode to Dawson City and entered at Boundary ,went to Anchorage then down to Seward. After one night in Seward we split up and Bill and I rode up to Whittier and caught the ferry to Valdez.
    Wow ! All the beauty surrounding us and we were moving through it without straddling viborating motors for a change.It was a beautiful clear day which didn't hurt either.I scoped out a tall blonde that seemed not to be with anyone and mentioned to her that we were going to the galley for some beer.She liked beer too,so we had company for lunch.While we were eating we heard something bumpity bump down the hull. Sea-ice! No big deal to those that are around it,but kind of near to us southerners.
    We also saw some walrus pretty far off and then a whale breached and splashed a couple of hundred yards away.Cool!
    Anyway ,I dug it and it was nice to have some relax time.And the ride back up from Valdez to Glennnallen is a treat as well.
  16. maiden.jade

maiden.jade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about taking the ferry (from Prince Rupert) and then riding in Alaska this coming summer. One question, I think some women may wonder similarly, is it a good idea for a female rider to go solo riding in Alaska? To add to the uncertainty, the said female rider (me :D ) is not exactly mechanically inclined.

I'm sure there are women who have done that.

On one hand I really want to go but on the other hand, I feel a little apprehensive about my limits. I'm certain I will be PM'ing some of the AK riders to establish contacts with them before I go.

Any thoughts?
  17. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    My sentiments exactly. Not to worry.

Have you thought about attending the Dust 2 Dawson gathering June 25-26? It's an annual gather in Dawson City Yukon around Solstice. Fun! Over 150 riders from all around the world, most on their way to or from visiting Alaska.

Have you seen the 'Alaska 2009' thread in the 'Upcoming' forum? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370940

Keep us posted. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  19. maiden.jade

maiden.jade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information, AKDuc and AKjeff.

I don't plan to go anywhere off road and prefer to avoid the touristy area. But since it's the summer, it's probably going to be touristy pretty much everywhere I suppose.

I'm not a big fan of large gathering (yes, more than 4 is considered large by my standard :D ) so I'm going to avoid rallies and gatherings. But thanks for letting me know.
  20. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm debating whether to ride from SLC, UT up to Prudhoe Bay in July '10 or to take the ferry from Kodiak down to Unalaska.

I would LOVE to see Unalaska but I noticed that it's pretty pricey (for me anyway). For example, it costs about $680 one way for me and my bike. So, that's almost $1,400 in just ferry costs :cry

Has anyone done this before? Are there cheaper options?

Thanks!