The Alaska State Ferry Info Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AKDuc, Jan 30, 2008.

1. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    we're going to be on the matanuska on tuesday in prince rupert.
    going to haines. if anyone else is onboard, we'd like to say hi.
    my wifi access will be spotty at best from now until then.
    look for a blue yamaha fz6 and a black fz1.

hope to meet up with some folks!!
  2. Uncledeadly

Uncledeadly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning for the Summer 2011 Alaska Ride.
    Was sort of thinking I'd hop a southbound boat out of Haines and ride it to Prince Rupert.
    What would be the best time of day to board so that I am sure to see the most impressive sites during daylight hours? Or doesn't it matter that much?
    Is the cost around $380 (bike and rider). Took me quite a while to decipher that trip and fare schedule on their website...lol
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    It varies quite a bit year to year and boat to boat. You'll just have to check next year's schedule when it comes out.

Since it's a 2-day trip from Haines to Rupert is kinda inevitable you're gonna pull into a town or two at night. Going in and out of Sitka can also add about 6hrs to the trip but not all ferries make that stop.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  4. Davis53

Davis53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    We are heading up to beautiful Alaska, Yukon and NT from BC, Canada leaving July 4th 2011. Heading up north east BC to start and Dawson creek. On the way back home we would LOVE to take the Skagway Ferry to Prince Rupert then Prince Rupert BC Ferry to Port HArdy....but as far as $$ goes this will cost about $1600 CDN dollars for both of us and our 2 bikes...so.....the question...is it worth the Skagway Ferry ride to PR and then skip Vancouver Island....make that ride for another trip and just ride home from Prince Rupert to the Vancouver area?
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my humble (but highly experienced :D ) opinion - yes, it is definitely worth it. For me, the ride all the way down to Bellingham (not all that far south of Vancouver) was about 1 1/2 days too long. In the past fifty years I have often ridden the ferry from Haines down to Prince Rupert, but only once to Bellingham. That was enough.

From P.R. east along the Skeena River on the Yellowhead Hwy it's pretty scenic at least to Smithers, and not bad beyond, until you approach Prince George. South of there on the Cariboo Hwy it gets better again, and south of Cache Creek the ride down through the Thompson and Fraser River canyons is beautiful. You also have the option of turning west north of Cache Creek and going through Lillooet to enjoy a fantastic ride down the Sea to Sky Hwy to Vancouver. All in all, it's hard to beat the riding available all over southern B.C.
  7. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Did you select a cabin? You can save a lot of money by sleeping in the solarium or the movie lounge. Skip the cabin!!
  8. soph9

Oddometer:
    there are two of us and 2 bikes and of course we did not select a cabin...I'm actually looking forward to sleeping out on the deck...it's a two day trip or a little more correct?
  9. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    great thread. extremely useful. this has been so helpful. Thanks to the OP and those that jumped in that have ridden on the AMH
  10. adventurecycle

adventurecycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome info! Thanks
  11. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    This sounds like an incredible, and very long, trip. Haines, Gustavus, Yakutat, Cordova, Seward, Seldovia, Homer, Kenai, Anchorage. If they offer this trip I might do it one way and ride the other half.
    I had the pleasure of the Haines to Bellingham 3.5 day trip. Other than having a banged up knee I had a fantastic trip with excellent weather, meeting many new friends, and enjoying the inland passage.
  13. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Don't even think about doing anything but sleeping on deck. you can check out our ride report from last year in the sig line.
  14. soph9

Oddometer:
    wow.....what a trip you had with your son....just awesome and we will relax on the ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert....just really great to see you and your son have such an adventure....well done on your RR.:clap
  15. lookaught

lookaught Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I'm a little confused... is the ride between Prince RUpert and Haines a bit boring, or is there some other reason why many take the boat instead? Or is it more for the experience of being on the boat and seeing AK from the water.

I'm debating my route and it's definitely more expensive to take the ferry, but if it's a "must experience" event then I'll pay the extra money and give my butt a rest for two days.

Thanks for any advice! I would be on the boat on May 24-25, returning on August 16 or so if that makes a difference. I know it's going to be chilly in May, so a break from cold riding may be nice.
  16. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. soph9

Oddometer:
    we are taking the ferry for the experience and also to see the coast from the water....:D
  18. lookaught

lookaught Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    WOw thanks for quick replies!

Two other questions:

With limited car access, is it pretty safe to just leave your stuff sitting around on deck all day? The cynic in me automatically thinks of theft. I'd keep my phone, wallet, etc with me at all times, but what about all the other stuff... safe to leave it? I'm planning on using the solarium.

I'm planning on boarding in Prince Rupert and sailing to either Haines or Skagway. Is one better than the other for scenery, roads out, etc? The price difference is negligible.
  19. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    The Matanuska had lockers to rent.
    I never used them, though.
    I left my riding gear near my bike, nothing happened to it, besides getting a little wet.