The Albatross: 1150GS Sidecar Build

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PowderMonkey, Jun 2, 2018.

1. PowderMonkey

PowderMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hagon is maxed out, unfortunately.
  2. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    I bought a new spool gun, so I worked on an aux fuel tank during my quarantine.

IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    The switch will be wired to a timed relay that will cut the fuel pump after a certain period of time, so I don’t have to fret if I don’t forget to turn the pump off. The fuel tank is a Boyd 3 gal. I made it removable, though I doubt I will remove it.
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    I'm not making any bunghole jokes, I swear.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  4. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Bobmws and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  5. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    This one is done. I changed the fuel filter and all the hose in the tank while I was screwing around.
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Your degreasing/cleaning fluid works better with ice? :scratch
    draperg1, Bobmws, Ridn3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    The more of that I use, the better the work
  8. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    The corona shiitake has left me doing maintenance. This is a 2002 GS with about 11K miles. Previous history unknown.
    I’ve done a bunch of maintenance while doing the sidecar conversion, but I have yet to do a few things.

First was the front brakes:
    The fluid was crap: IMG_0176.jpg
    I also replaced the original rubber lines with a galfer kit. It doesn’t fit correctly, but I’m hoping that the guys will make it right. IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    wilfred likes this.
  9. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    I also flushed the clutch fluid...again, it was the color of my covoid coveted gloves.
    Changed the plugs...I bet these are original. IMG_0190.jpg
    Valve check. Right side was tight. Left was kosher. IMG_0189.jpg
    Tried to make a 1200 GS beak extender look good on the 1150. There are photos of folks making this work online. I couldn’t make it work for me. IMG_0186.jpg
    Flyin' Monkeys, wilfred and rg sw wa. like this.
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Have fun flushing the ABS. Does it still work?

Those spark plugs are a little shocking. But it ran OK with those so that says something about NGK's!

The 1150GSA beak extension looks fine on those bikes IMO--new ones available for $85. Used ones on eBay or whatever are ALWAYS scratched up.
    PowderMonkey likes this.
  11. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    @DRONE,

Yeah, the abs still works! I went through a fair amount of effort to keep it in place during the conversion. I just bled from the master through to the calipers, and didn’t touch the actual unit. From what I drummed up on the web, the consensus was that it wasn’t necessary to flush through the abs unit itself.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  12. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    Was going to do an alternator belt change yesterday. I think it may wait a bit 60790430278__4F6302E8-312B-4F85-9455-B93DA7B014FC.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    I swapped out the starter and the battery (2014 manufacture date) the other day as well. I may do the battery and starter wiring too. I’m kinda annoyed at how the bike turns over.

Installed a new to me garmin that I purchased from another inmate. It’s a basic Zumo 350. I have it mounted in a touratech locking cradle with a cosmo mount. http://www.cosmo-navi.de/
    IMG_0213.jpg

Re-wired my sidecar fender and added a 3rd brake light. The fender was an oops from the beginning. From the white running light, I ran the wiring straight down the middle of the inside of the fender. Flew the car once with a bigger monkey and some gear, touched up the tire on the inside, and tore all the wiring up. I have re-routed the wiring to the inboard side of the fender. IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg

I’m gonna change the 3rd light for this: LED Red Utility Strip Light Bar 8" Boat Lights Decoration 18 Diodes Universal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQ3C2F0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XgAKEbQGZXZ3J
    The one I have mocked up in the photo isn’t bright enough.
  13. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    I painted the third strut that I never got around to installing last year, along with a ural swingarm. I painted all this in the garden shed out back.

On a side note, I’ve been looking for a catalyze urethane alternative to the Alexseal paint I’ve been using. I find alexseal to be confusing to use (one application may take up to four different parts) and expensive. I’ve found an alternative, and I really like how it shot. I applied the chassis black directly to the metal sans primer at around 40 degrees. IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg

https://tamcopaint.com/collections/single-stange-basecoat-paint
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Since the alternator belt change will be such a hassle, you might want to look into buying a new HES from one of the inmate vendors and then do that job at the same time.

Also BTW, might be helpful to post info about that weakass LED bar in the picture so that other inmates won't buy one by mistake. :bmwrider

What are you going to do with the Ural swingarm?
    PowderMonkey and rg sw wa. like this.
  15. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    Had no idea that the HES plate or hall sensor were issues. I appreciate you opening my eyes, and my wallet . I certainly don’t want to be in the habit of having to get in the front of the motor.

The swingarm sure for my ural. I think the original is bent.
  16. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  17. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    I finally, after a full year of riding, installed my third strut! I’ll eventually make new struts all around with some bits and bobs from McMaster. IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    Galfer sent me the new brake lines, so I installed those as well. I never enjoy brake stuff. No matter how careful I am, I always end up with fluid on something pretty. IMG_0267.jpg

I do have a question for the collective. I ordered a YSS shock from EPM for the sidecar wheel. I have a Hagon on the car already, but I think it’s undersprung for how heavy the car is. The car weighs in at 245 lbs, light. When that shock comes in, I intend to do some re-alignment and leveling. At the moment (after having changed the bike suspension and switching to a car tire) the car body is slightly down at the back and the car frame is barely leaning towards the rider when I’m sitting on it.

I have the following setup. 2 degrees of lean out on the bike, 9 inches of wheel lead, 3/4” of toe in, and a 54” track width. When riding on the highway I have a fair pull to the right. Should I increase my toe in at this point, or my lean out? The roads around here are definitely crowned.

Here’s to summer riding! IMG_0271.jpg
  18. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey......the very small town I was born in is on that map ^. :-)

Just another "Maine-iac" checking in :beer
    rg sw wa. and PowderMonkey like this.
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Two degrees of lean out and 3/4" of toe-in I would not expect a pull to the right. I'd wait until the new shock is installed, load up the car with enough weight to simulate an ordinary outing, then get to work getting the car level front to back and left to right. Once you have it, then go ride it. If it's still pulling, then it'll be time to troubleshoot.
    rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  20. PowderMonkey

Oddometer:
    I checked my lean out this afternoon with my angle finder. Looks like I only had 1°, so I increased in to 2°. It made all the difference in the world.
    Bobmws, steam powered, DRONE and 2 others like this.