The all new aluminum camper top / slide in camper craze.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Wasser

Wasser Spilt my beer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. Zero problems. Just put the tail gate down.

The Grandby is 18" longer than the Hawk. The Hawk is designed for the 6.5 bed. The extra 18" in the Grandby on my model is the front dinette. I can seat 4. The Hawk can only seat 2. 18" (both sides) more storage inside too! I love the front dinette.

Only thing that worries me is the camper now sticks out past the rear bumper. Had to extend the tongue on my trailer 18"

When not towing, I have a solid ball mount that sticks out 18" so if someone rear-ends me, the ball mount is going to take most the hit.
    BIG-E and SourKraut like this.
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I’ll have to think hard about that. It is just for two of us but I wondered how that would work towing. About to place our order, Hmmmmmm.
  3. Wasser

Oddometer:
    It was a hard decision for us. Hawk or Grandby.

Like the bigger dinette. And the extra storage is great too!

We talked to a Hawk owner. He convinced us to get the Grandby just because he wished he would have. He ran out of storage and it was just him. He was a full time photographer.

The larger dinette also makes for a larger lower bed if needed. Kids/grandkids.
    SourKraut likes this.
  4. Wasser

Oddometer:
    Hey SK, another thing to consider with a Grandby on a 6.5 bed. . . I would not do it with a half ton truck. Mine is a 3/4 ton. Can't even tell its back there. Only squatted the truck about an inch fully loaded. I added air bags and run 40 pounds to bring the truck back up to the original height.

Also, check your truck owners manual for weight restrictions on the tail gate. Some trucks (Toyota) have extremely low tail gate ratings. The heaviest part on the Grandby back there is the battery compartment. It will be sitting on the tail gate. I have dual 6V. They are friggin heavy.

Too bad you are in VT. The dealer in Montana has no tax. I saved almost $4000 in taxes on mine and drove up to get it.

You thinking about the front dinette? You will not believe how much room and usable space the front dinette offers. Its a really great floor plan!

For towing, I added a Fulton folding tongue adapter and an 18" square tube to the trailer I sometimes tow. Like for a boat trailer. Extend the tongue on the trailer. Don't extend the ball mount for towing.
    BIG-E, SourKraut and mbabc like this.
  5. Sootgrinder

Sootgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this thread. All the different campers and rtt's give me all sorts of ideas.
    BIG-E and katbeanz like this.
  6. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky for us the nearest dealer Is in tax free NH. Yes on the 3/4 ton truck as well, it needs about 1500 pounds in the bed to smooth out the ride and sit level.
    Wasser likes this.
  7. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me to! now, I just need all the money to make it happen!!
  8. Lost Mile

Lost Mile Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crazy money for what they are..
    Bultaco206, BIG-E and RockyDS like this.
  9. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I'll stick with my truck tent that cost a lot less! <$300
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  10. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    To add a data point, I'm running a Hallmark K2 in a 6.5' bed on a Tundra 1/2 ton. The rear step and boxes extend out such that removal of the tailgate is required and I've beefed up the rear suspension with airbags, heavy duty leaf springs and the Hellwig rear stabilizer kit. The bikes ride on a 3-rail in tow and taking out the rear cab seats gives my nice cooler/gear storage for tools and riding stuff.

It is a heavy half but the full-time combo has been running for 60,000+ mi. now and I spent near 6 months living/traveling out of it this summer:

IMG_20190730_200029.jpg

Fully provisioned at maximum capacity I can be out for up to two weeks at a time ... and them I'm out of gas and beer.

Good goin' self-contained to ya!
  11. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Ultimate toy hauler...

IMG_20181110_125315.jpg
    tastroman, FAW3, BigEasy and 10 others like this.
  12. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Good old Hendricks County ingenuity :clap
    villageidiot and mbabc like this.
  13. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    what happened to wildernest toppers / tents
  14. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    You all ever see Capri campers?

We have a travel trailer, but are actually seeking a way to have some portable sleeping setup/retreat on our shortbed (5.7) full size 4x4 truck.

I'm going back and forth between getting an additional van, trading in my truck on a class B/C, or just using a small slide in.

We have camped.enkugh time know we don't need or want much of what comes standard on most campers. Shower? Beyond a rinse off, not needed for a weekend. (Baby wipes). OTOH, we would rather have available A/C for when summer humidity gets set to stun.

I'd I can't cook it in a microwave, toaster, or over a fire, then we aren't cooking it... So save the stove.

We figure an ARB will get the fridge chores done. I only brush my teeth to bottled water.

What sucks is that I would have to roll the dice on a custom bills, because there are no dealers near me. Have to head to Texas for Capri, or west for Four Wheel.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    seen the capri camper, can't see spending the money on that.

four wheel camper shell model seems like it would be a great fit for you. its just that, a shell. can add stuff to it at the time of build, but they start as a bare bones shell, with just a bed.

appears to be a FWC dealer in wisconsin and also colorado, so both sides of the "flyover states"
    XPADREX likes this.
  16. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northstar is on the radar as well as Bunditec.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    not sure about northstar, but bundutec uses a wood frame.
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good deal. A purpose built motorcycle trailer with a tiny pop-up would be cool.
    Pathfinders likes this.
  19. .fisher

.fisher pissin' in the wind

Oddometer:

Same boat here, but with a Tacoma and 6' bed. My requirements are:

4x4 or AWD for snowboarding
    Comfy 6' space to sleep
    Space to haul a modest camp kitchen, moto/mtb gear/snowboarding gear depending on the outing
    Can handle a moto hitch hauler
    Self contained-ish (no trailers)

I've hemmed and hawed all summer about my options of whether I just want a fiberglass topper (I've done that, and it can be a bit coffin-like) or something more deluxe like these Vagabond or Go Fast campers. The only thing I can justify for the extra price is a more open sleeping space. And, since I like to spend my time outside, is it worth the extra coin (like… $5,000-7,000k extra coin)?

I did look at the FWC's in person last month, and I don't need 75% of the crap in them. Their stripped down Fleet models don't do much for me either. FWC did recently release their Project M camper that hit the nail on the head, in my case, and is great competition for the Vagabond and Go Fast offerings from a reputable and well established brand.

project-m-test-2800x1867.jpg

Now… just waiting for Ford to release pricing on the Transit AWD before I place a down payment on something.
  20. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^:tb

I just saw this camper yesterday on youtube, and this is the way to GO!!! for me and my '17 Tundra!!

If it will let me run my Berg and 1190 in the back of the truck, SOLD!!

I just tried to call 4 wheel camper, these people seem hard to get ahold of? humm..I sent an email as well. Hoefully, they will call me back?
    katbeanz likes this.