The Almost Virgin New Mexico BDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bigmo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. HBLQRider

HBLQRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report guys. Thank you for sharing your adventure.
    bigmo likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm diggin' this, thanks!
    bigmo likes this.
  3. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report; thanks for sharing. It looks like you guys had a fantastic time. I’ll have to add this to my list of rides to do.

I’m glad to see that the CB500X served you so well. I’d love to hear more about what you did to get it ready for the ride. I’m thinking about adding one to the stable to do some off road exploring. Nothing too crazy at first, but I’d like to work up to something like this. I see that you’re running stock cast 17 inch wheels with knobbyish tires and gather that you’ve done some work to the rear shock. Anything else? Anything you wished you would have done, or will do before your next big trip? Thanks in advance.
    bigmo likes this.
  4. Bluestone73

Bluestone73 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great write up, 6 of us take off first of June.
    bigmo likes this.
  5. D-Stylz

D-Stylz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So good! Great commentary. Love a RR that has little details about camping or glamping spots (hot springs). Wonder how long it would take to trailer from Oregon to New Mexico...
    bigmo likes this.
  6. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a NMBDR trip for May 2017 and came across your report.
    Looks like you guys had a great ride. Thanks for posting :thumb
    TroyWolf, NorthFork and bigmo like this.
  7. Shadetree

Shadetree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Bill Dragoo:
    Troy, you highly over rate my skills...but thanks for the kudos. Randy Perkins and I actually rode through the blow down section mentioned, and yes, nobody had been through yet that year. Snows had just melted and the roads were just becoming passable from all the mud and other natural, winter born obstacles. There were a dozen or more trees across the road. We approached from the south, first coming upon a giant pine draped across the road, branches preventing any chance of going on. We saw a trail to our right, up a fairly steep grade...passable and mildly technical. Randy pulled it off like a trooper on his second attempt...head games got him at first. Not far on we came across the real damage where a storm had scattered numerous deadfalls over the trail. Clearly nobody had attempted to cross them. Randy was ready to turn back until I goaded him to let us give it a go. We cut a couple, managed to horse one or two out of our way enough to pass, and built small log or rock ramps to help us launch the bikes over a handful. Finally, the monster root ball tree shut us down...for a bit. I figured we could scramble up the steep embankment to the right and if I could get past the void where the rootball had come from without falling in, we'd be home free. I rode both bikes over and managed to clean the section...so to speak. It was clean it or die...I feared to dab would be all the imbalance I would need to add my relatively small bit of bike and human debris to the hole. Down the other side and we were home free...our last obsticle of the pass. Good stuff and with the possible exception of Chloride Canyon, my favorite part of that BDR. Susan and I crossed it again last week and it was fun to reminisce of last year's crossing. I could still see remnants of my trail...and I'm sure a few others...over the rootball, which was still sitting beside the road but with the trunk truncated by a chainsaw. Thanks to whoever keeps those trails open.
    CalamariKid, bigmo and TroyWolf like this.
  8. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Hey, Bill! "bigmo" is Sean, but I definitely echo his sentiments. Our route around the tree was a lot easier than yours me thinks! It still took me awhile to get my courage up, though.

Bill, your skill probably doubled after you followed me around with Link for a few days watching my expert lines...that is when you could keep up. :lol3 :imaposer
    Shadetree and bigmo like this.
  9. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    On a 1,750 mile #ADV over 8 days last week, Sean (bigmo), and I worked in the most Northern bit of the NMBDR that we missed in early 2016 due to snow, cold, and general wimpiness. It was fantastic! It appeared that just a few days earlier, and the pass would have been snowed in, but we were able to get through all parts. In one area, the river was over the road in 3 places, but it was only about axle deep.

We also hit the UTBDR from Bluff, UT to Moab. Good times!
  10. ppfeifer

ppfeifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice report! I'll have to give this a try after reading your report.
    bigmo likes this.