The Alta Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by swamp, Jan 12, 2018.

1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
  2. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    No dealers within 200 miles :(
  3. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    There is one 30min from me.
    panzer likes this.
  4. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Demo ride?
  5. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the supermoto at my friendly local KTM dealer. Fucking awesome.

What do you want to know?
  6. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want the supermoto soooo bad.
  7. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    They just dropped the msrp of the redshift mx to 10k.

:lurk
    GenuineSquid, voltsxamps and Lutz like this.
  8. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Local dealer demo day in a few weeks. Might have to try the MX. Not that I'm MX in any imaginable universe, but it's a scrambles course so I can probably survive. How could it not be fun? And beaucoup KTM offroad bikes right there so I can compare. All a lot lighter than my KTMs.

Ten grand for a Redshift MX is getting pretty competitive.
    Lutz likes this.
  9. RTF

RTF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my mind these guys are the future of electric motorcycles. Some of the same people that were involved with Tesla are now involved in Alta, that could be a game changer in years to come in the technology side of things.
    RCmoto likes this.
  10. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Do the various models (MX/EX/SM) have different power mapping or battery capacities? Or is there another reason the EX and SM are a few grand more than the MX, apart from street-legal equipment? I would be very interested in the EX as a dualsport/commuter bike, although most of our big DS rides are more than 60 miles which relegates it to "play bike" status only... Hopefully they will improve range in the next few years!
  11. Guoseph

Guoseph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same battery different mapping.

Cost difference I assume is from paying the govt to certify it being street legal plus the bits like lights and mirrors.

SM wheels tend to cost a little more and it has better front brake.

For sure a very narrow use case at the moment, hopefully enough people buy it so they can sustain themselves while battery tech improves.
  12. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    The MX and Enduro models are on my drool in a bucket list. :knary
    At $10.5K its a lot closer to attainable. I wonder how they were suddenly able to drop the price by $5K?
    I have little issue with a 60 mile range on enduro. I very seldom ride more than 60 miles of single track and I'd get to ride a ton more urban with no sound to bother the neighbors so I'd actually ride the bike more. Plus no warm up, no bad gas, no jetting, first major service at 1000 hours, no loss of power at altitude, no stalls, no pipes melting my pants... The list of pluses goes on and on is only offset by price and range.

I love the various engine maps and it looks like you can make your own with a laptop. I'd want a rock-crawler map so you can't whiskey throttle it on single track.

Based on the YouTube videos, changing the battery is a big deal - couple of people 15-20 minutes? If you compare to KTM's technology where you pop the seat, loosen a couple of bolts and swap packs. Not that many of us can afford to have a $2500 spare battery waiting around, but look ahead 5+ years and you could imagine that with battery prices dropping Alta would want to change to a more easily swapable design like KTM's. Otherwise the bike is just about future-proof with a battery that can be updated, software updates, and a chassis and suspension that will probably not be significantly outdone in the next 15 years.

I want one very badly, but cannot afford such an expensive toy. Someday. Someday.
    Until then I can dream :type
    Moto Jimmy, Yard Sale and Lutz like this.
  13. ButchtheBARFdude

ButchtheBARFdude poseur

Oddometer:
    I have had my Redshift MX for 14 months and 2300 miles. I love it.
    Yesterday I rode the Alta and my KTM 250 MXC back to back. The KTM has more power and is lighter, but I like riding the Alta better. Actually, the Alta has waaay more power at say, zero rpm...

thread on my impressions: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505668
    RCmoto and Lutz like this.
  14. ButchtheBARFdude

ButchtheBARFdude poseur

Oddometer:
    Oh, I traded with a guy with a KTM E ride. Pretty cool little bike. Not the weapon an Alta is. The Alta hauls ass for like an hour, or three if you are mellow trail riding.
    IMG_3455.JPG
    no kickstand, but no fluid to leak either...
  15. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    So more detail, please...
    I see you've added a headlight. Is it a full street conversion...or just a headlight for the trail?
    Is trail riding your typical use?
    2300 miles, but how many hours?
  16. ButchtheBARFdude

ButchtheBARFdude poseur

Oddometer:
    My bike is laying down. I took the pic. Eric has the headlight, taillight etc, which he added and plated the bike (an MX) at his house in Idaho.

I did not have an hour meter until the recent software upgrade, so not sure on the hours. I typically ride singletrack at 10-15 mph...

I also replaced the rear 19 inch wheel with an 18. And added a left hand rear brake. The LHRB is amazing.
    voltsxamps and Lutz like this.
  17. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I rode the Supermoto version the other day and I was blown away.

First of all, the fit and finish was the best I have ever seen. It reminded me of stuff you normally see in Moto GP paddock. Makes the Zero look like cheap Harbor Freight bike in comparison. Power was great with way more pick up than I expected. It pulls really hard up to about 70mph. Brakes were the best I have ever sampled.

Overall feel was very stout and composed. Yes, it's not cheap and real life use is pretty limited. I still want one badly. Looking forward to trying MX version one day.
    RCmoto and VxZeroKnots like this.
  18. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    ALTA REDSHIFT ~ solid extensive test run with a road legal Supermoto during October 2017 around Denver (CO).
    Wicked sensational fun bike ~ did not expect the really impressive huge grin factor....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    Wow. How did you get a demo in Denver?
  20. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    @JDUBinCO via a mate that lives over in Denver (CO) and owns the Alta SM ~ amazing bike, would love to take the Enduro (EX) version for a test ride....

EIGuy and ag_streak like this.