The Alta Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by swamp, Jan 12, 2018.

1. leeo45

leeo45 Longtime Lurker

Oddometer:
    I am typically getting close to 40 miles of dual sport riding with my EXR. Roughly equal mileage mix of two lane pavement (45 to 50 mph), gravel Forest Service roads, and very steep, technical mountain single track. Mostly mode 1 and 2, occasionally 3. I am 6'-3" and 230 pounds in riding gear. Both of those factors seem to be very detrimental to mileage on these bikes compared to a small rider.

These bikes are very capable and great fun, but still cannot replace an ICE bike for many types of riding and racing.
  2. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    I too am getting around 40ish miles from a charge on my EXR with mixed D/S riding. Similar mix of roads and trails as leeo45 posted.

Ride time and charge time are roughly equal, 1.5 hrs riding, 1.5ish hours charging. If there were more easy, slow single track trails near me, with lots of rest stops available, I could probably achieve the advertised 4 HR run time.

However, even with the range limitations the battery currently imposes I would not trade this machine in for anything else on the market currently for what riding i have available, but it is not my only machine, for many other situations, an ICE bike is still indespensible.
    azgeek likes this.
  3. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I've have to wait for the next improvement in battery technology.
    Lotta Throttle likes this.
  4. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with ya and also a fan of what Alta is trying to do in the e-bike field.
    Alta previously advertised on their website "4+ hours expert single track". No way in hell was that accurate, not even close. Their former videos were of dudes lolly-gagging on easy quad trails somewhere in northern CA; that is hardly "expert single track"
    Now Alta has revised it to say "Range: Trail Riding 4+ Hours". Still, no way. Highly doubtful that even a beginner who has never twisted a throttle in their life could eek out 4+ hours of ride time on a paved road, much less trails.
    I'm hopeful the next generation battery can get at least 3 hours of hard ride time---whenever that next battery comes around.....
    Bucho likes this.
  5. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe this has been answered, but I had a question pop up when I was researching the EXR....or any electric dirtbike for that matter. How does one get over obstacles where you would normally pop the clutch to get the front wheel up....going over downed trees or getting over a ledge? I not sure if you just turn off the throttle and then open quickly....but very curious. Other than the range the EXR looks like an amazing bike.
    xact likes this.
  6. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2018 EX just did 30 miles of combo road, power lines, and single track for about an hour and a half or more of run time, patiently riding conservative, keeping it on Mode 1, and made it back with about 25% charge remaining.
    Seems like it could have done 2 hours easy and maybe 40+ miles total.
    More range testing soon.
  7. rainmaker8

Oddometer:
    Loving the smooth power of the Alta and not missing the clutch or shifting at all. Wow!
  8. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I ride my son's OSET 20.0. It has a max weight limit of 100 pounds. I weigh 210+.
    That is how I wheelie his bike. Moving slowly, I roll up to an obstacle, off the throttle, I load the suspension, and then open the throttle quickly and the front end comes up.

If I can do that on a kiddie bike, the Alta should wheelie no problem.
  9. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    With the EXR simply use mode 4, and snap the throttle, it will pull the front wheel up easily assuming you get enough traction. I find it easier to do than on my ICE bike, most of the same techniques apply still.

And yes, range is about the only drawback I have with the machine 35 -45 miles is about the best I have managed sofar.
  10. rainmaker8

Oddometer:
    I can lift the front wheel easily in mode 2 and even mode 1 by bouncing the front just before the obstacle. Mode 3 or 4 is wicked, better have experience and cover the rear brake!
  11. rainmaker8

Oddometer:
    What is the recommended age / size range for the Oset 12.5 or 16? I'm considering a first bike for my kid and there's a 12.5 for sale local but how soon would they grow out of it?
    (I think this is relevant to electric bike forum because "monkey see, monkey do"... future electric riders etc)
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    It says it on their site.
    In my personal experience I ended up going straight to the 16.0 because my son has always been on the tall side.
    However, I totally regret this. I wish I would have bought the smaller even though he would have quickly outgrown it.

Unless you think your kid is the next Ricky Carmichel probably go for the smaller
  13. dreezy

dreezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son has a may birthday, we got him the 12.5 and he started riding the day he turned two, (was competent on a balance bike beforehand). He turned four this year and it is still working fine for him as we kiss the summer goodbye and grimly accept the fact that MN winter is upon us again. Looking back, I think the stacyc would have been money better spent as the 12.5 is really Overkill for most kids that will fit on it. The bike has been great and we have gotten to give lots of my friends children their first ride with it
    voltsxamps, Bucho and rainmaker8 like this.
  14. rainmaker8

Oddometer:
    Instead of an Oset we might get a Kuberg Cross Hero. It is more like a mini MX and sized for 6-12 year olds.
  15. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    I'm curious why the Alta Redshift took off in popularity once introduced to the public compared to the Zero FX that gets compared to a KLR? Is it because the Zero FX has sub-dirt bike levels of suspension (~8.5fr/9rr")? Bad handling characteristics? Wrong ergonomics? Street legal? Marketing? Too much green cred? Never entered in Red Bull anything? On paper it looks like it gives up little to a DRZ400 (2" of suspension travel) while offering all the benefits of electric at a lower price point. Some of the reviews say it will be used 95% on the street. Why? Zero sells a chain kit and hand guards. It seems Alta has much shorter range than zero, no easily swapped batteries, and a higher price point.

I test rode a Zero FXS and it was eye-opening. It really made me look forward to the electric future, but I just can't afford that expensive a toy.

This is pure curiosity. I have no ax to grind for either brand but it seems like the dirt community never embraced the Zero FX like they have embraced the Redshift. Curious to hear if any of you compared the two back-to-back and have good insight.
  17. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the small group of people who pay attention, and vet what they let into their heads instead of taking what everyone else assumes as gospel. Products are marketed in the way that manufacturers think will generate the most profits. They might be right, they might be wrong, and they WILL exclude some people for who the products might be a great fit. Bottom line, you decide if it works for you. It's best, when making those decisions, to go outside what you think is your list of available candidates. You might find the best solution where you least expect it.

Case in point: Back in the '70s I was in the market for a new street bike. I was a faithful reader of Cycle magazine (best motorcycle magazine ever for street riders), and an issue came out that had two seemingly unrelated road tests - a BMW R75 and a Yamaha RD400. No one who just followed the pack would ever think the same rider would consider both bikes for the same purpose. But if you read the tests with an open mind and went through the results objectively, it was clear that the RD was by far the better - and more versatile - bike. I bought one and found out it was true. I had had a BMW R75 before, and the RD even toured better! More comfort, quieter, longer range, and it would still beat the cafe racers of the time, even while loaded for touring. I raced that bike and beat much bigger bikes on tracks that favored horsepower. If not for the 2-stroke engine, which I grew to oppose for purely environmental reasons, I'd probably still have that RD today. It was that good.

DO NOT take what the marketers tell you at face value. Challenge the assumptions of even the experienced riders you know. The only thing that matters is how it works, in the way you're going to use it. Learn what you need to know. Then trust what you know.

When you think about it, that's a pretty necessary outlook for anyone interested in an EM.
  18. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    I think in motorcycles this is often the case.

I would LOVE to be the first person to put together an unbiased comparison of the two.
  19. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    A riding friend of mine recently bought an Alta. He is a very fast agressive rider (motocross background). He has praised the Alta as a great mx track bike.
    Ive spoken with a few other people who have test ridden them with similar reaults.

Now personally, Im not a mx guy nor do I even like mx bikes. But the fact Alta could make one is impressive. Id be more interested in either a shorter range trials type bike. Or a longer distance trail bike.

I dont personally know ANYONE who has ever even thrown a leg over a Zero. So yes, I have sort gone by what the moto mags have said (but I always take what they say w/ a grain of salt).
    But Id love to try a Zero.
  20. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asphalt and Rubber are reporting Alta motors is out of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk