The Alta Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by swamp, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short...

Oddometer:
  2. ButchtheBARFdude

ButchtheBARFdude poseur

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it is a shame.
    Some of us are lucky and live in th San Francisco area where all the tech exists and we can support these bikes. I am so confident of that, I just bought another, a 2018 EX; a plated dirtbike. Now I have two Altas, out of maybe 1000. I love these bikes. Maybe I should change my avatar...
    voltsxamps likes this.
  3. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short...

Oddometer:
  4. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    BRP is a great company. The Can-Am brand’s history was dirt bikes. One can draw no conclusions, but one can hope. A new Can-Am bike is decades overdue; if one is eventually built that happens to be an electric, and on par with what the Alta was, it’ll be great news.
    Moto Jimmy likes this.
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Bombardier scoops up Alta assets, meaning its tech could live on in e-karts and other powersports

Micah Toll - Feb. 27th 2019 11:23 am ET

BRP buys Alta Motor’s assets

The Canadian company BRP has announced that it purchased a selection of assets from Alta Motors.

Those assets include certain intellectual property, patents and some limited physical assets from the former all-electric motorcycle design and manufacturing company.

For anyone hoping that BRP could reboot Alta Motors and restore the brand to its former glory, the company nipped that speculation in the bud.

According to BRP:

“This is an opportunity for BRP to complement its ongoing research and development into this burgeoning area of expertise. BRP has no interest in restarting operations of Alta and assumes no liabilities.”

BRP could incorporate Alta’s tech into new vehicles

The purchase of Alta’s assets could be useful for BRP’s electric vehicle ambitions. BRP owns a number of powersports brands including Can-Am, Sea Doo, Ski Doo, Rotax and Evinrude.

The company has already developed electric vehicles in some of their subsidiary companies.

[​IMG]

BRP created an electric version of the Can-Am Spyder with 105 miles (169 km) of range. They also have produced a series of electric go-karts through Rotax.

The technology developed by Alta Motors will likely help jumpstart BRP’s subsidiaries’ progress on their own electric vehicle projects. With a number of other electric UTVs and electric watercraft already on the market or coming soon, BRP’s acquisition of Alta’s tech could maintain’s BRP’s position as a major player in the field.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/27/bombardier-brp-alta-motors-assets/#disqus_thread

I’m hopeful that the soul of Alta will live on in BRP’s motorcraft, and though I am sad to see the beautiful Redshift line retired (for now at least), it’s worth celebrating the tech’s lineage is destined to be repurposed, as opposed to Mission Motors whose tech and talent was scattered to the wind. :super Live on Alta, live on!
    RCmoto likes this.
  6. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. _mtg_

_mtg_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CR -> CRF -> CRE?
    voltsxamps likes this.
  8. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    So who is this Alta company? I like what they say about their trail bike with a plate. 4.5 batter life is possible on the low setting.
  9. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alta is out of business.
  10. ButchtheBARFdude

ButchtheBARFdude poseur

Oddometer:
    Building electric personal watercraft and snowmachines could change public perception of those activities.
  11. duggram

Oddometer:
    Three guys from Alta have formed a shop in San Francisco and started building custom bikes. Anyone have any experience with them?
  12. ButchtheBARFdude

ButchtheBARFdude poseur

Oddometer:
    Prolly. If you can name any one of them I can find truth.
  13. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. duggram

Oddometer:
  15. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not much information. One is sitting in a sofa, one is trying to adjust a torch he got lit, and one is about to drop his bike. These publicity shots are tricky business.
    I'd like to see more about "The Death Rattle" on their webpage. It looks interesting.
    Grynch likes this.
  16. leeo45

leeo45 Longtime Lurker

Oddometer:
    Flat Tracker from the ashes of ALTA: http://www.bikeexif.com/electric-flat-tracker?omhide=true

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Grynch, duggram, chainslap and 2 others like this.
  17. duggram

Oddometer:
    That thing is exciting to look at. I rode a Bultaco Astro in the 70's. That Blatant creation looks like a serious weapon.
  18. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    I love my '18 Alta MXR, best dirt bike I've ever owned, and I've owned and ridden a bunch of them over the years. The thing freaking rips, grin factor is huge.

[​IMG]

And I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for Honda to drop their "Alta killer". I will happily pay way to much money for it, especially if it really is an Alta killer, has a quick change battery, etc. I'm skeptical they can get it as good as an Alta, but we will see.
  19. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any new links to Honda's e-bike. They teased us months ago with pics and a video of some slow rider on a track in Japan but i haven't seen anything since.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer: