The American Gas-Pump SECRET Zip Code Generator!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bartron, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm worked once in Washington State at a Safeway but didn't work at two other Safeway's... not sure what to think?
  2. SMURPH

SMURPH Longtimer

Oddometer:
    Filled up with fuel a few times and forgot to go online and check for this thread. Got frustrated for the first few fillups. Then found this info and tried it. Success!! Was at a Shell near Monterey, CA.

Many thanks!!
  3. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to hear that it has worked for you so well. I've since discovered that you can use this trick when having to input a US zip code online to verify your visa or sign-up for something American - like Netflix, for example.
  4. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Good to know. :thumb
  5. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    Worked a few times for me in Washington. This is so useful!
  6. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    used the tip on several occasions during my trip out west last fall, works like a charm.
  7. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used this on my MC trip back east last year, it worked almost everywhere.

This winter I towed my bike to CA and AZ, this again worked in most places, but not in any Chevron dealer in CA. I started going to Shell, and it worked fine.
  8. Otis357

Otis357 Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Drove to Disney on March Break.. from Buffalo, down to Richmond VA then I95 to Orlando. Only got asked for the code at a few pumps, but it worked every time. :thumb
  9. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her Supporter

Oddometer:
    :) I've always thought it was a good thing to have that zip code question there down here in the States, in case someone grabbed my card but may not know my billing zip code. I wonder now if this hack implies someone could get around the zip code test after all?

Does this happen at Canadian stations for American cards?
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So,,,,does this zip code you come up with HAVE to be based off of your Cdn postal code?
    In my experience, any Chevron in the USA has required me to walk in to pay at the till,,,,never have any of my cards worked at the pumps.
    I do have a U.S. postal address of sorts, actually a freight forwarding address company I use when ordering parts out of the USA. The U.S. zip code on that address has never worked.

Steve
  11. Bartron

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the zip code is the one associated with the billing address for the credit cards being used so it has to be valid and associated with the credit card. This is a security check done by some of the US machines. By using the code described above, I believe it puts our Canadian postal code in a syntax the machines understand given that our postal codes are alphanumeric.

When using a Canadian credit card in Canada, we are not asked for our postal code. Maybe someone can enlighten us as to what happens when trying to use a US based card in Canada.
  12. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    there can be no way a fake made up zip code is in any way connected to your canadian credit card account to verify the user........
    just use anY zip you know from a USA company address or friend and remember it.
    its like ikea or other stores who want your postal code when you make a purchase so they can know what part of canada you came from to shop at their store. in the future they may advertise more effectively.

so, i use zip 59917 from MT ...........giv'er deaner
  13. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:

hhmmm. I've had cars declined for entering the wrong code....so that's not true everywhere.
  14. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes...
    thats becoz they entered a code incorrectly.
    if their code is say H0H 0H0 but entered HoH oHo that is incorrect and is NOT a code that exists in canada (o = small letter o is is not a number. 0 = zero )...has to be letter number letter .... in canada. so yes, an incorrect code will NOT work. that is why making up a ZiP based on your postal code will not always work since Not allll 5 digit radom numbers will produce a ZiP code that actually exists.
    kapeesh?!
  15. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:

No. I have experienced entering my zip code (NOT my postal code) incorrectly - a typo- and it is not accepted. American dude....
  16. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    I have been declined a number of times trying to use my Canadian CC along with a valid U.S. zip code; I have not tried to use this "secret" code as it has been described. If the pump wants a zip code for my CC, then I either go inside to pay or use debit. I have found that it's hit and miss with stations in the U.S. My understanding is that the zip needs to match the billing address for the CC.
  17. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    I recently did an Ironbutt ride through Washington and nothing worked for me at the Shell pumps in Pasco, WA :cry
    BUT now that I re-read this thread the pump never even asked for a zip code, just denied right away.
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Yeah, I was riding in Washiongton state for a week recently, never worked once, Shell, Chevron, none of them.

Steve
  19. Bartron

Oddometer:
    Used this recently for American Netflix. Who would have thunk it.
  20. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Could have been required once last week....Montana? Idaho? Washington? Don't remember and can't care less, walked in with some cash and had a nice conversation with the locals about nothing in general.:wink:

A pleasant sunny day in the twisties they pointed me toward.:wink: