The art of packing light

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, to pack water filtration or not is, IMO, very relevant to the “packing light” equation. Especially to those traveling further afield from home base. Those of us who are perhaps a little longer in the tooth have to pay attention to health issues to a higher degree than when we were rough & tumble young uns. I worked for a well travel family with big $ and their MO was to always drink Evian. Through experience they learned that “foreign” water wasn’t necessarily “bad”, but just different in content than what their bodies were used to processing. They said Evian was available worldwide so it was their go to. I’m not advocating Evian, just pointing out the potential for “different” water to cause problems.
    My big struggle when packing is due to the fact that having travelled extensively, and often in developing/remote locales, I’ve personally experienced a lot of scenarios that others say are rare and can lead to overpacking. I’ve paid the price for not packing to make certain I always have adequate water, shelter, fire making AND first aid provisions. I get that here in the US things are little less dire, but once you’ve spent time in a foreign hospital, gotten hypothermic or dehydrated/sunstroked or been on the scene of a bad accident, it’s hard to leave certain things home. The filter stays (and I carry backup aqua tabs). When you’re out of water, the fun is done.
    GotFog, Zubb, NoelJ and 2 others like this.
  2. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Packing filter/tablets/pen is the light option, because the alternative is stacking up with heavy water bottles.
    Whiteeyelashes likes this.
  3. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Similar statement from one of the other top-shelf manufacturers.

upload_2021-10-18_11-27-23.png
    smackyface and ZoomerP like this.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
  5. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got caught without enough water on a Moto trip next to the largest fresh water source in North America. For reference I drink around a gallon per day when relatively sedentary. I could have boiled water but the timing didn't work out. After some research I ended up with a Katadyn BeFree 3L Gravity System. I was able to test it last weekend on a hiking trip in the Smoky Mountains and it performed very well for two of us. Between my buddy and I we could carry 7L plus the 3L of filter bladder full from the water point to camp. That was really convenient.
    Whiteeyelashes, sharpie1 and Ladybug like this.
  6. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say it's less about "weak" or "strong" immune systems and more about conditioning and acclimation.
    Think food & pollen, for example. You may be fine in your own region, but when the flora changes, you wake up one morning needing Benadryl. If you don't normally eat meat or dairy, those first few carnivorous meals are going to play merry hell on your guts until you get the right beneficial bacteria built up to handle it.
    When someone I knew went to India years ago, they had to be vigilant about SEALED bottled water or spend time glued to the toilet. I also have met european travelers that had trouble with the sheer amount of chemicals & preservatives in american food.
    ...And that's before land management issues that bring on stomach bugs or industrial pollution.
    The eternal question: "Uhh...do we know what's upstream?"
  7. Carl_Mega

Carl_Mega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I have. It's so easy. I don't see me using my traditional pump filter anymore. I keep iodine tabs in my 'just incase' kit for ultra-light travel.
  8. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Pumping a little isn’t that bad imo. The hiking models are also pretty small and light.
    A plus is that the pumps often feature coal in addition to the regular filter, so there’s a chance to remove bad smell and some chemicals.
    Either way, filtering with just gravity sounds relaxing :-)
  9. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've been thinking about switching to a gravity system just for the easy factor. I've been using the MSR Hyperflow for years and it has worked fine (and it's small and light) but it does not have any type of chemical filtration. That doesn't bother me too much as I always find a clean running water source, but then again, you never know what crap is upstream...
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    ...on the inside!
    Cycle61, Sunaj and ADV Wanderer like this.
  11. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I started packing a Versa Flow filter from Hydro Blu. I use two one-liter bags (color coded). I've only used it a couple of times, but it was great to have when not near a "safe" water source.
    Whiteeyelashes likes this.
  12. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once I bought a gravity-flow filter system, I lost track of my pump system. It became irrelevant. I leave the "clean" bag at home to save space/weight, and filter directly into my camel back. I have used it far more on backpacking trips because we filter at least once/day. It is nice to just scoop some water, hang it from a tree and let it do its work while we set up camp or prepare food vs. someone needing to be the designated "water boy" who sits there at the stream filtering water through a pump.
  13. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    What system do you have?
  14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They all work about the same so you can't go wrong just choosing one on price or availability.

If you want to get more involved there's a few details that could make one fit your needs best.
    • Volume, how much will you want to treat at a time.
    • How easy is it to fill and carry the untreated bladder to a water source without all the tubing and filter.
    • Expected longevity and availability of replacement filters.
    • Ease of backflushing.
    • Do you want carbon to filter out chemicals and off flavors.
    • Packability.
    MasterMarine likes this.
  15. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I need to know what each one weighs in grams so I can input the data into my spreadsheet to figure out if I can use one and still come in under my max weight I'm allowed to carry determined by the collective of the group. :D

Sorry, wrong thread.:photog
    Anders- and ZoomerP like this.
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I like having the clean bag in case it might be a while before getting water again. On a hot day, I'll easily drink 3L in 6-8 hours. I want a little reserve in case something happens.
  17. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    MasterMarine likes this.