The art of packing light

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Self-intubation = core ADV-Fundamentalism. Anything to simplify.

I want to again thank all you a-holes for the input here. I've learned lots and it will benefit my set up. Everything from the Silnylon to the various cord and stake suggestions has been great. I'm still a few weeks away from when I start my fall riding season which will give me a little more time to get the new tarp dialed. Keep ya posted.
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

An excellent and informative post Hick!! :clap

I was using alcohol for the last 8 years for my camping needs. Fuel is available everywhere, cheap, and once you get used to it is quite easy. However as Hick states it more finicky than cartridge fuel. Once you are used to it it's not so bad however it will never be as easy as cartridge fuel cooking. I stayed away from cartridge cooking as the cannisters were inefficient. Throwing away partially used cannisters, trying to resupply over here was next to impossible. That is until I discovered an adapter that can refill the gas cannisters with Butane gas. Cartridges are not available over here, however butane gas is in every supermarket. Sooooo brought one over when I went back to the states for a visit an empty 110 gram cannister and have been using it now for the last two years.

Refill adapter

[​IMG]

The adapter allows me to refill the gas cannister out of normal butane gas bottles such as this

[​IMG]

Weigh the weight of an empty and full cannister. In my case 110 gram cannister empty is 100 grams and full is 210 grams

[​IMG]

I keep the numbers written on the container. When home I use a digital scale to know how much gas is left and to refill accurately. When in the field I know the amount of fuel I use per day and calculate roughly how much is left and when to refill. I keep the adapter with the lighter that fits under the 110 gram cannister in the concave section on the bottom of the cannister. Now when in the field It's guesswork refilling and I have overfilled on occasion. When overfilled the flame is a bit blustery.

110 gram cannister lasts me a week. I could use a 230 gram cannister however those things are HUGE in the amount of space they take up and I'm trying to keep my load small. I've been asked how I get a week out of my cannister. I don't boil my water. I filter it and call it good. Not perfect but I've been doing it for 10 years now and not been sick yet. The water is filtered that I use for cooking and if rehydrating food I just bring it up to bloody hot, kill the gas, and the pot cozy round it. 5 minutes later dig in. Ir

This is my cartridge gas set-up. Hick I know you are using the Jet Boil and stated it's a bit bulky. Not sure how much smaller this set-up is but here's a can of D 40 next to it for reference.

[​IMG]

Toaks 650 ML pot, Titanium windscreen cut down to size, BRS copy stove, BIC mini lighter, folding spoon, and homemade pot cozy.

[​IMG]

Love everyone's contributions, keep em coming.
  3. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes, my thought of just shoving a tube down my throat to keep the airway open was a bit naïve. I ordered the intubation tube, watched a few videos and went to town. I'm sure you can imagine the fiasco it was trying to get that tube down my own throat on the bed. I gave it a good effort but to no avail. Spending a week each time, twice this year, evacuating myself out of foreign countries with multiple fractures was much easier:lol3.

I had Penthouse centerfold dreams of leaving that damn CPAP at home.
  4. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hick:

"One of my summer projects is to make a tow strap with Dyneema cordage and whoopie slings. "

I'll be _very_ interested in what you come up with. If I could replace my existing strap ( 1" webbing + carabiner+ 1" handle bar straps) that would be a centerfold moment. Thanks for the dutchware pointer, his stuff looks tasty.

Team: Jesus!!!

Tents: I have an older version of

[​IMG]

https://www.tarptent.com/product/motrail/ which works well in dry environments. It has plenty of room and needs two small poles and stakes. However, once the silnylon is wet it stretches and the walls sag causing the condensation to soak your fancy sleeping system. I'll re-rig the guy lines with some dutchware.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    I have a Trailstar and a custom 10x10 square tarp. When I setup, I place the poles at about 80 degrees vertical. Still nice and tight.

If it rains and things get saggy [ less of an issue with quality Silnylon ] just pull the poles to 90 vertical, instant taut structure again....
    RJAMT and bikemoto like this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Cool. Where can you find those adapters?
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Ah. Disregard. A quick internet search brings up all sorts. Thanks again, great tip!
  8. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weigh your gas canister, full, and write it in sharpie on the bottom. Then you can accurately refill it. Of course, it'll be refilled with butane and no propane, which most say can affect cold weather performance.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The boiling point of butane is about 30F so as you get down close to that temperature it will just sit in the canister and your stove won't work. That's why the canisters contain about 30% propane. Propane boils down to around -43F so the mixture will work in cold weather. Pure propane is at a fairly high pressure at normal temperatures and that's why propane canisters are thick walled and heavy. 30% propane allows the canisters to work in cold weather and the 70% butane keeps the pressure lower so the canisters can be made light.

If you Google around you'll find ways to refill the canisters with both propane and butane but that seems like a lot of trouble to save a couple of bucks. If you expect to be in cold weather it's probably best to use canisters you buy with the mix. If you are using pure butane and unexpectedly find yourself at or below freezing, just sleep with the canister and it will probably work long enough to get you going in the morning.

A frosty morning near Naches Pass.
    IMGP1098.JPG
    ACR, theailer, Ginger Beard and 3 others like this.
  10. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of canisters, I read or saw somewhere that if you put your canister in a small pan/pot with a little water while cooking, it'll keep the canister above freezing. I've never tried it, but it makes sense to me.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Finally swapped my synthetic sleeping bag for down and will try out the "wheel chair" on my next trip. This puts me at 27 lbs with the soft bags and my winter gear. Now I just need a carbon fiber beer gut and we're in business!!
  12. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get somethig like this with a heating coil: http://kovea.com/product/spider/ turn your can upside down and cook away.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - but don't get it wet ... The bag, not the gut.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    That might help getting butane to work at lower temps but not at freezing and below. Butane has no pressure to make it want to leave the canister at 30F. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/propane-butane-mix-d_1043.html

Maybe you could rig something up to get it to gravity feed upside down but not sure how well it would work. Give it a try and let us know.
  15. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a pussy - if it's below freezing, I'm below a warm sleeping bag.
    Ginger Beard and Snake Oiler like this.
  16. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Paladin53

Paladin53 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uh, what other ideas have you ever had?
    cal08 likes this.
  18. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you're trying to say here, but in my opinion, team FTB has been a great resource related to lightweight camping and luggage options, and probably other things. His adventures and experience in Thailand are enviable.

I can recall reading, and finding value in, many of his posts. I don't specifically recall any of your posts.

I ask you, what other ideas have YOU ever had?

I see you're a supporter. If you're picking a fight with team FTB please tell me what website you're operating so I can avoid it.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I’m sensing sarcasm coming from @Paladin53. Like, if you’re considering self-intubation, what other ludicrous methods might you go to trying to pack light? :rofl
    cal08 and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:

TheFIRST thing I did when I bought my gs single was ditch those horrible vario bags. Needlessly heavy,weirdly shaped, just no. I replaced them with kappa k venture bags, 7 lbs each empty. I have since ditched the k venture topbox, to heavy empty.....14.5 lbs!!!!!!! Good lord!

I am going to try using a couple Costco down blankets. I’m going to see how small I can stuff them. I currently use a sea to summit micro? II, packs insanely small,it’s fits in my pannier sideways on the short end as does my msr hubba tent. The sleep bag is 850 down with drytek,it has a zipper and small hood but with a open foot box that you can open and close at will depending on condition and if you are a hot or cold sleeper. It can fully open into a smallish quilt.

It’s still a mummy shaped bag and it’s not for a larger sized person. I have always used half sized sleep pads and used my jacket or my sheepie for extra insulation.