The art of packing light

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yah the stick wedge good trick to know, more fun to make with a hatchet than a knife though. I wasn't saying you had recommended he bring a wedge or hatchet just that it wasn't necessary sorry for any confusion. That's a good choice of tools, I prefer a bit more tool than the pocketboy or Esee 3's provide and I've never really cared for moras. My previous knife for well over a decade was a Strider MFS till I decided the blade thickness and grind were a bit ridiculous for my uses. I find the JG5 is perfect for daily use, so much so that day to day when I'm in uniform I have my Emerson CQC-11 but as soon as I get home and go to jeans or shorts I'd rather have the Esee. I especially like the nessmuk style blade since it lets me pinch the front of the blade for finer work, don't care for the sheath though and someday I'll spring for a sagewood leather.
    PNWet likes this.
  2. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Mora makes a few very good full-tang knives now - the Garberg in particular is an incredible bargain

Terava out of Finland also makes a similar knife called the Jaakaripukko that's incredible as a do-it-all
  3. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, before we return to the ultralight focus, one more tangent on the knives front.

This is a knife that a tribal blacksmith made for me. He uses old leaf springs from trucks. Sharp, holds and edge, and chops and slices. You can cut wood or butcher a water buffalo just as easily (and they do!). Teak handle. Not full tang, but I think I'll send him some photos of the knives mentioned earlier and get him to make one that way. :-)

IMG_5737.jpeg
    95Monster likes this.
  4. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    sigh, yet another camping thread devolves into a knife thread, including the inmate who has a carry so it's "available" (the firewood is going to escape?) I carry whiskey. Very, very good whiskey. In any campground (if I am so desperate as to use one) if I have to buy wood (another abomination) I just stand around where the wood is being sold. When someone comes up to get some I look woeful and say I would like to buy some too (like hell) but have nothing to chop it with...only some whiskey. Poof, I got a hatchet (people love being saviors), it weighed nothing in my packs, it will be usable and if my savior is into very good whiskey I will also have some good conversation. If they have a Granfors hatchet we can talk blades too.

I carry a small, carbon fixed blade knife (very old as it happens) for kitchen chores. It is simpler to keep a fixed blade knife hygienic than a folder.

Some u-boob pundit advocated putting all your stuff in a pile then dividing the pile in half. Not a squeak from booby about what to put in which pile and why. I take the stuff that has a minimum of two uses and preferably three. That covers a lot of functions with little gear.

My kid brother told me a story. His wife had been going through the drawers and texted him that he only had 4 pairs of under wear. He texted back that each pair had two sides. Knowing his wife that went over well. But the kid gets it.

I carry a mesh daypack. I stop, wash my clothes, put the leathers on, commando, put the wet laundry (if I had to wash it wild, a laundromat next to a bakery is heaven) in the mesh pack and ride. After a bit when the clothing is dry (very fast in the wind) I find someplace where I won't get arrested and dress. So I carry very little clothing. Except socks. Carry two pair. I have extra warm stuff to put on or take off, and very light rain gear. That's it.

people seem to be always talking how this tent or that chair won't do because they can't fit the stuff in their spam cans. Hint; lose the cans. Ever see how much crap the average Chinese peasant can pile on a moped?. 3 pigs, like full sized ones. really. And a crate of chickens, some firewood and 2 kids. I'm gonna sweat tent poles? learn how to pack and you can carry more and the tin boxes are very inefficient. Sometime around '86 I made myself a pair of those. To my knowledge they were unknown. Handy for hauling rose bushes in town and explosives cross country but I learned my lesson. Others were running the drecky starlet bags and hauling everything they needed (including a pressure cooker). If I loaded my boxes the bike would become unstable. Lost the boxes.
    95Monster, markinthailand and Emgo like this.
  5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Compact but not as light as I would like at 11 oz, almost as much as a damn chair, I carry this if I think that splitting firewood is going to be in order. Use it like a froe, beat on it with another piece of wood to drive it in and give a twist. It includes a flint so at least you can save the weight of a Bic lighter. https://www.ustbrands.com/product/parahatchet-fs/

[​IMG]
  6. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    I tried that but there's a problem with very good whiskey. I end up drinking it while waiting for the savior. It's not a big problem because with a good buzz on I simply stop by somebody else's campfire on my way back to camp and they generally offer up some less than very, very good whiskey or some beer. Not being very picky when it comes to a night in the woods I accept and sleep well.
    Ginger Beard and 95Monster like this.
  7. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to chop through a tree blocking a trail with that POS on the MABDR (with help from friends.). The paracord came loose right away and the handle gave everyone severe blisters.

This reminds me to get a proper hatchet for the big bike.
  8. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    My pack for 3 months in Southeast Asia 3BBEA63F-605B-4A72-AE64-85015E764662.jpeg The tank bag holds passport, wallet, Inreach and some random junk I never use. The backpack holds camelback, hat and toilet paper. Tailbag holds street clothes, toiletries, first aid and whiskey. No camping this trip but my tent, sleeping bag and air mattress fit in a dry bag that would easily stow under the beaver tail of the Backcountry tail bag.
  9. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Packing light, real light is a Visa Credit card and a Smartphone to use GPS and to find restaurants and Motels. A few dollars for tolls, too.
    PomInOz_, cprbusa and 95Monster like this.
  10. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like to brush my teeth and change out of my stinky riding gear.
  11. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You do that at the motel. Free toothbrush and toothpase, plus washing machines/dryers, if needed.
    PomInOz_ and 95Monster like this.
  12. Plaka

Oddometer:
    You don't get a pair of flip flops so you can get out of your boots, a bathing suit so you can hang out in the motel pool while your clothes are washing, no hat, sunglasses, warm fleece top because bad weather moved in (hit a truck stop or walmart, can't get a bathing suit at Walmart in winter), have to hit a walgreens for a comb and some deodorant and it's good to have at least band aids and aspirin, and on and on. So you end up shopping a lot, riding and relaxing less, throwing the stuff away because you can't carry it along, then buying it all again. many small places have a minimum for a credit card so you either stick to interstate culture or spend more.

I see a lot of GS sorts 'moteling it" with a credit card and phone, and carrying a crapload of stuff they don't want to waste time shopping for. And while they are stuck in some dreary motel they are not sitting around a campfire with other travelers swapping how-to-travel myths and decent beverages..
    loganlexow and TripleTriples like this.
  13. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Usually 3 or 4 days on the road, then I'll spend a night in "town" or the local campsite to recharge/restock, then back out to the scrub again....
    PomInOz_ likes this.
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what's a good packable Wind blocking, lightly insulated mid layer jacket to wear under a mesh riding jacket. Maybe Gore or Gore-Tex as breathable is important. Preferably full zip.
    Like to have it for the days that start or end cool or catch you by surprise.
    I have Merino base layers.
  15. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    You haven’t seen the motels I stay in 02F86CF0-DC0A-4AAD-849E-92BB3C1F6538.jpeg The water bottles on the night table have broken seals (Dang, left my filter at home on the GS. C72F7F9C-F2AC-4785-9D0D-83063C6EFF42.jpeg
    Zubb and Suncoaster like this.
  16. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    A "Gore Windstopper" bicycle jacket or vest.
    Or a Held softshell vest like the one in the link.

I have both, the Held vest is thinner than the Gore Windstopper jacket.
    Other bicycle jackets are windproof on the front and mesh on the back.
    95Monster likes this.
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Something you already have with you. packing light means resisting the temptation to add more specialty gear. How abut your rain jacket over the mesh?
    95Monster likes this.
  18. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is another option for clearing brush. Way faster for cutting against the grain. Lightweight and it collapses down very small.

https://www.amazon.com/SVEN-SAW-SVEN02-BRK-Folding-Blade/dp/B002ZO526Q
    95Monster likes this.
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rain jacket is frogg togg. I've used it in a bind to take the chill off but all it takes is one dirt nap and I could be out a rain jacket. I'd prefer the wind breaker under the mesh jacket. The right one could also serve as a non riding jacket.
    Wind / Rain liner that came with the jacket is nylon. Gets kinda steamy
    For me splurging for better gear means less gear. I'm just learning that.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  20. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    Just do it like Jack Reacher. Keep a shortened tooth brush in your shirt pocket and when your clothes get stinky throw them away and buy new stuff.