The art of packing light

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Aug 12, 2018.

1. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're all sisters :1drink
  2. Phineas1952

Phineas1952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friends always laugh at me because I don't leave home without a (light) pair of walking shoes. I've explored so many places leaving them behind because I wasn't slogging along in Apline Stars. It's the weighty luxury I allow myself.
    Ladybug likes this.
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    you can save some weight by cutting the soles off. :D
    RJAMT and Phineas1952 like this.
  4. Plaka

Oddometer:
    3 seasons? how many nights have you slept in it? sitting on a shelf is easy duty for a tent...
  5. wvshoem

wvshoem Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    it is a three season. Looking at my trips the last couple of years, I believe I have between 25 and 30 nights. Not a bunch but enough to know how it is going to hold up. About to do another 10 to 12 beginning April 4.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Plaka

Oddometer:
    a month in a tent isn't bad. But you won't know when seams go or it begins to leak until it actually does that. It generally does mean coatings won't peel and zippers won't blow out (usually). Overall performance in the past doesn't say a whole lot about performance in the future, unless you can foresee the future. All you really know is that it has held up so far. None of us can see the future. . But I see such statements made here a whole lot. OTOH, if I want to know if I can get at least a month out of it, I'll be looking for your opinion.
  7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Troll.png
  8. Plaka

Oddometer:
    LOL. I can't use a laptop. I have a full keyboard sitting on top of it.
  9. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Follow some of the through-hikers of the AT, the CDT or PCT. These people spend anywhere from 3-6 months on the trail, sleeping in tents or hammocks almost every night. They are a very weight-conscious group of folks and their gear gets thoroughly used/abused. Many of them have gear reviews on Youtube after they finish. If they are getting 100+ nights in a tent that is not babied between uses (ridden hard and put away wet...so to speak), then I would feel pretty confident using the tent/hammock for a week at a time for years, knowing when it is not in use it is stored unpacked, hanging in a cool, dry, closet away from UV radiation.
    Ginger Beard and Sparrowhawk like this.
  10. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer: