The art of packing ultralight

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by smackyface, Oct 8, 2021.

1. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    so we’re making compromises already…. :D
    kraven and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you used a r80/40? Because you’re selling them short.

The protection is a point of discussion. For me it works, I’ve killed to many bags without the heavy duty pouches.

Stuffing of the drybags does not get hindered by these pouches. Plus you easily take out the drybags and take them with you. That has proven to be a really nice feature.

And I think the system gives enough flexibility to take absolutely too much stuff:

IMG_5848.jpg

But yeah, the weight is serious.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
  4. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AwDang likes this.
  5. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most internal equipment is made out of stainless steel. Clips in the head are one of the exceptions.
  6. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    being able to remove the drybags easily is definitely a nice feature, i wish my Wolfman setup was easier in that regard
  7. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    A side topic. Someone here or in the heavier thread mentioned LighterPack for maintaining an inventory of gear & weights. GearGrams is another I've used in the past.

https://lighterpack.com/welcome

https://www.geargrams.com/

Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, or another spreadsheet program are also viable frameworks for inventories. I like using tabbed spreadsheets at work, and I'm thinking using tabbed Google Sheets would allow grouping a variety of ways, without being locked into whatever LP or GG think I should be doing. Google Sheets is also platform independent and online, with secured sharing built in. Going it alone would lose the library functions of canned solutions, but that's not a concern for me.

What do you use?
    dasgaswolf and Sunaj like this.
  8. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was quite charmed by lighter pack, but I work in the data business and can’t abide piecharts so all charm was lost.

Besides I already use Google sheets for its sharing features. Before serious trips we make a group pack list to make sure we have everything and decide on deduplicating between riders.
  9. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I hadn't thought about sharing GS for breaking up items before a trip. My friends and I already share a Google Doc with a rough itinerary, vehicle information, and contact information, so that's an easy method for us. Great suggestion!
    Ginger Beard and Sunaj like this.
  10. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like lighterpack fine but will probably switch to Google Sheets. Lighterpack allows you to create custom categories, so no worries there, but they have limitations on the available columns. If you have basic competence with spreadsheets you could do a better job yourself.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. smackyface

Oddometer:
    You know, this has me thinking. Some 1000D cordura dry bag holsters on my soft rack would only add a couple ounces but could be huge for convenience and might offer protection allowing lighter dry bags for a net weight reduction… I’m gonna have to goof around with this.

I’ve been brainstorming new ideas for lighter gear that doesn’t exist in the market yet. I’m working on a prototype for a lightweight tank bag, for example. I’m thinking a simple cordura clamshell design, similar to the Mosko Hood, but smaller. It could be stiffened a bit with thin closed cell foam sheets. I’ll be goofing around with this a bit over the next week or two.

What else would you guys want that doesn’t exist yet?
    Sunaj likes this.
  12. dasgaswolf

Oddometer:
    check out Green Chile ADV .. they have some really interesting ultralight rackless options that might inspire you -- it's cool that you can use any drybag (or container) you want, and you're probably not going to find a lighter system short of threading Voile straps through your holes you cut in your plastics.

another thing we could use are bigger and lighter fender and numberplate (i.e over the headlight) storage options... the options from Wolfman and Giant Loop are nice, but they're made for more conventional riders that use them to hold a couple Milky Way bars or a water bottle. I want a waterproof numberplate bag that's big enough to fit an UL sleeping bag or sleeping pad.
  13. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I have a MM Hood. Very nice bag, and I'm surprised the deep lid concept hasn't been used by other manufacturers. Like their other products, it is a little heavy.

Thin sheet HDPE would be my choice due to its crush resistance; MM may have used it. For the bag to be weathertight, the body and lid need to stay fairly rigid so they mate up properly. I've seen it sold as a lightweight cutting board before.
  14. smackyface

Oddometer:
    I actually own their Scramble Rack, and it inspired my homemade solution, which is basically the same but custom for my bike. The scramble rack wouldn’t fit under my seat because of the metal rings they used. I was also able to design the adjustment so it’s back on the grab handles instead of using cam buckles on the plastics. Their buckles were wearing holes in my dry bag and with a custom solution I only need a couple inches of adjustment to take up the slack.

My biggest complaint with the basic soft rack concept is that accessing the bags is a pain. The straps that cinch the bag down also hold it on, so to access the bag, you really have to remove it completely from the rack. I think I might be able to come up with something that avoids that compromise between solidity/secure mounting and convenience.

The larger number plate bag idea is interesting. I’ll put some thought into that.
    dasgaswolf likes this.
  15. smackyface

Oddometer:
    HDPE sheet is an interesting idea for sure. It’ll be quite a bit harder to sew than something like EVA foam and may be more prone to creasing if crushed. I’m wondering if something slightly softer that still held its shape might actually improve weatherproofing because you could have more overlap between the halves while still being able to open the lid. I haven’t ever seen the hood bag in person though - is there enough pressure between the halves to form a good seal, or is it just the overlap that keeps the inside dry?
  16. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking to replace the large side drybags on the r80 with some diy dyneema bags. But I’m not gonna bother; mm bags are not that heavy it’s the outer shell that’s heavy, dyneema is very expensive and I’m fully capable of fucking it up, and I don’t believe I can get it as waterproof as the mm bags.
  17. dasgaswolf

Oddometer:
  18. smackyface

Oddometer:
    That’s helpful, thanks. Looks like about 8L. I’m guessing he cut into his shroud to mount his, but it almost looks like straps around the fork legs and handlebar might work… maybe a molle number plate soft rack?
    dasgaswolf likes this.
  19. dasgaswolf

Oddometer:
    Kinda hard to see, but here's how I did my Wolfman: 2 sets of straps w/buckles, one a shorter length (to handlebar, the innermost strap below), the other much longer (to forks right under triple clamp). It's very secure and doesn't interfere with anything else. but as others have pointed out, buckles are relatively heavy and in many cases are an unnecessary convenience

[​IMG]
  20. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Kydex would work and is more resistant to creasing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kydex
    I was thinking you'd sandwich a stiffener between an inner & outer layer of fabric, not sew through it.

The shape of the Hood contributes to the seal. the bottom is larger than the top, and the lid is shaped similarly so that when it's buckled closed, it's a snug fit. The top of the body of the bag reaches all of the way to the top of the lid, so it'd be very difficult for a splash to reach inside. Short of immersion, I don't think water can enter. Even dust has some difficulty. Fwiw, I don't believe it's truly "waterproof", not matter what MM says.

[​IMG]

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/hood
    smackyface likes this.