The Ascetic Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TripleDubYa, Feb 26, 2019.

1. TripleDubYa

TripleDubYa Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
    ascetic -
    1. a person who dedicates his or her life to a pursuit of contemplative ideals and practices extreme self-denial or self mortification for religious reasons.
    2. a person who leads an austerely simple life, especially one who abstains from the normal pleasures of life or denies himself or herself material satisfaction.

Yeah, this journey will be on the cheap because I won't have a job (last day is March 22nd), and there's something to engaging in a little self-denial while out on an adventure. Besides, if I was living large while out on the road my wife would sell my stuff. I'll pack pretty simply, rarely eat at restaurants, one hotel night per 7 days and hopefully contemplate some ideals.

The Ascetic Adventure has two legs: Southwest/California/Oregon hitting multiple National Parks and then up to Tuktoyaktuk via Alaska.

Leg 1 - Starts April 17th
    [​IMG]

Leg 2 starts May 22nd
    [​IMG]

I'll be logging my preparation and journey. The plan is loose, money is tight and adventure awaits.
    Halen, td63, ChicoProf and 3 others like this.
  2. TripleDubYa

Oddometer:
    I like to do what some consider stupid things. June 2018 at Lake Helen high camp (10,400 ft.) of Mt Shasta, CA prepping to summit.
    [​IMG]

Last November riding Poison Spider in Moab with my buddy...I'm about to crash as I climb the infamous "waterfall".
    [​IMG]

A recent winter camping trip with my son's Boy Scout troop
    [​IMG]

I'm just having fun but my friends think I'm crazy and my wife knows I'm an idiot.

I'll be riding this:
    [​IMG]
  3. Knobbly Studios

Knobbly Studios Knob

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a cool RR! Am I the only one not seeing the photos?

67EAA76B-A69E-4587-A454-62AE7652E125.jpeg
  4. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    no pics
    Bigger Al likes this.
  5. TripleDubYa

Oddometer:
    I'll work on getting the photos to show up.
  6. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. TripleDubYa

Oddometer:
    Timing is everything. Even though my last day of work is March 22nd, I can't start my journey until mid April due to obligations. And as much as I would like to run the southern route right into the trek to Tuk, there's the pesky issue of actually being able to get there. There are two ferry crossings, Peel River and Red/Mackenzie River that won't open until later May or early June (average opening is June 2nd https://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/en/ferries).

I'm a bit impatient so I dreamed up a route that will take me through warmer weather and multiple National Parks to test my mettle and give the gear a shakedown. I've ran the Idaho and Colorado Backcountry Discovery Routes so I'm no stranger to wild camping. Also, living in Idaho gives me ample opportunity to escape to some pretty damn remote places.

[​IMG]

You might recognize the "bus" from the Idaho BDR movie.
    [​IMG]
  8. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    bump
  9. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in. Good plan.
    Jathkajoe