1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

The Australian 250 Touring Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by sidetrack one, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Kimi

Kimi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes they are soft Steel Pony bags bought off an inmate from here a few years ago.
  2. baldtire

baldtire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What screen did you use and from where?
  3. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Photos, please.

Specifically, how you made the attachment points.

I've been using light 12mm tube to try and get something that works in keeping the soft bags out of the wheel. Idea being, I'll have it re-made in heavier tube when I'm happy with the design.

My first effort was with 6mm rod. It failed because of the attachment points. I can't weld either.

:ear
    Kimi likes this.
  4. Kimi

Kimi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screen is from screens for bikes, have to drill holes in your fairing
  5. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are you finding the screen? I've always been sceptical of the benefit and have never bothered with one, but they do look good on an xt.
  6. Old Queenslander

Old Queenslander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]IMG_5034 by Drew Jackson, on Flickr
    This Super Sherpa has done >40 000kms and cruises along at the speed limit. Did a 2000km ride last year in western Queensland carrying a variety of riders. Fuel range depends largely on speed. 75mpg most of the time.
  7. bc6805

bc6805 Adventurer

Oddometer:

No photos - I generally don't take photos of my own bikes - too busy riding them. I don't have any of those bikes any more.

But, I got my brother in law, who can weld, to make up the frames to my design. We used rod, but with a piece of flat steel welded onto it at the attachment points. Then drilled appropriate size holes in the flat to take whatever bolts were available at that point. The design improved over iterations to accommodate Andy Strapz bags better.

Rod is much easier to work with compared to tube, and as I mentioned previously, it is plenty strong enough. It also bends in an oopsy rather than breaking.

If your REALLY need photos, my nephew is using similar frames on his DR650 - again welded by his dad. I could get him to send me photos.

BruceC
  8. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Job's right. Thanks.
    It'll work out.
  9. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @sidetrack one did you need to raise the lower front mudguard on the xt to fit the d606?
  10. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I find myself back thinking about a little ADV bike more and more.

I've had a WR250r and loved it. Did the Simpson supported and had a ball ripping past all the KTM690's in the dunes but was in the wrong mindset when having to do 1,200K's in 2 days on the Plenty Hwy.

What made me sell it was the thirst for more power, but really a little more torque would of done fine. That and a few hours on the freeway was getting a little fatiguing with the higher revs.

I sold it, bought a KTM530 and adventurised that before moving on to the Africa Twin. I love the Africa Twin as a "travel" bike and a "let's do big skids fun bike".....but... It is heavy and a handful in slippery and rough/ steep conditions.

I recently rode another WR250r on the freeway and it wasn't as buzzy as mine, different gearing and more relaxed.

I just got home from a 900km 2 day ride on the Africa Twin and while it was great to get away and camp off the bike, the ability to just explore down an unknown track was missing. Too much weight to man handle should things turn nasty.

IMG20200614120747.jpg
    These roads were great on the big bike, but really... I could of enjoyed them AND all the others I had to bypass, because of it's weight.

It was during this ride that I found myself in a particular scenario: 50km to Bathurst and 46km of fuel left in the tank. This necessitated some very careful throttle application and reduced cruising speeds. At one stage I was just strolling along at 80kph and then it hit me... I was still enjoying the ride!

I didn't have to concentrate so much on speed limits, drifting wide on corners and... I can look around and enjoy the scenery.

For the rest of the ride (yes, I made it to Bathurst) I was thinking.... Would I have enjoyed the ride as much on a 250?
    Tomocan, DOT, TerryK and 1 other person like this.
  11. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simple answer....yes!:D
    Lots of weapons in the shed from a postie to a couple of 1200 class but the mighty TTR 250 is the one that does it for me most!
    20200301_144550.jpg
    glitch_oz, Tomocan, TerryK and 2 others like this.
  12. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    So now I'm thinking about getting another 250. The CRF250 Rally looks great. I see some good setups with soft panniers... Then, being a tinkerer, I see the CBR300 motor slots right in....

I think I'm in the right mindset now, having ridden the big bikes to know that big skids and high speeds don't mean that much when you can't go where you want to go.
    Pezz_gs and Johns-Bikes like this.
  13. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    I have both a TT250R & WR250R both from new, love them both & still ride both
    seancampbell likes this.
  14. Johns-Bikes

Johns-Bikes Farkling the T7

Oddometer:
    Good food for thought Sean, just sold my ATAS for much the same reasons you've identified, but here I was thinking a 701 might be a little err.. small.. Good buys on the 19 runout to be had, just need to commit

There's scope for all sizes I suppose.

Cheers John
    seancampbell likes this.
  15. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    701 looks great, especially in a rally-like setup.

GAZ_6830.jpg

But the $$$ involved in that setup is just too much for me.

A couple of things have me leaning towards a 250 (300) again:

1. I like to ride a little bike and show up all the big bike boys. You know... Ride a slow bike fast kind of philosophy. Not that riding fast is what I'm into anymore... Or get as much enjoyment out of anyway.

2. My youngest boy will be of legal riding with a licence age in 4 years and I've promised him we'll ride to Cape Yoke when he gets his L's. I'd like to do that both on the same type of bikes for a number of reasons. Buy and build mine now, fine tune the setup and buy/build his together in a few years.

In the mean time I'll have a little ADV bike to explore, travel and enjoy. Might even make it to the Tiddlers Rally.

That's what going on in my brain at the moment anyway...
  16. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my xt250 for practical reasons like weight and low seat height, but I was also drawn to the idea of a small bike by less than practical matters.

I think there is a lot of macho bullshit among motorcyclists (including adventure riders), and wanting to have the biggest best bike is part of that. It's pretty funny really, and connected to my next point......which is that it's all wrapped up in the usual developed country consumerist bullshit that has us chasing the biggest, best, newest etc because we've been conditioned into believing that's what will make us happy.

Im heading off on my first over nighter on the 250 this weekend, should be fun, though getting across the QLD border into NSW with some of the roads blocked will mean more bitumen than I'd prefer. I'm sure I'll take comfort from the high minded bullshit I'm sprouting above when I'm struggling to maintain the speed limit on the Cunningham highway with a truck up my arse.
  17. DOT

DOT Ready Aye Ready Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of all my bikes, 1150GSA, 625 and Postie, my little 1982 XT250 gives me the biggest grin factor, it sits there quietly for months at a time and then I kick it twice and it fires up and has taken me on 4 multi day Scrapheap rides as well as other days of anything from highway to single track. All this for $47 a year, rego and green slip! Dear little thing, I love it!

XT June 2020.jpg
  18. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    I've had a few 250's & the WRR & TTR are the best I've had

1974 TS250
    1977 XL250 Motorsport
    1979 XL250S
    1982 XR250
    2013 TT250R
    2016 WR250R

The WRR is really good on fuel & has good options on fuel tanks, I get greater than 250kms with a IMS 11.9lt tank plus I think there is also a 14-15ltr & 18ltr tanks.
    250's have come such a long way over the years, the Honda 250 rally is a good unit as well

Terry
    BygDaddee likes this.
  19. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been away on the tiddlers, I love the 250!
    Key to small touring is your companion needs to be on a little one as well!
    20201205_120209.jpg
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    Some of our best and most memorable touring (Bris-Cape York return/ Snowies/ 4500k's NZ North Island etc) has been on Posties.
    Weeks on end, little bikes packed to the gills, slow going = great trips and 1000s of photos to dribble over.

With a perfect 650 Thumper in the garage I find myself grabbing the keys of the wife's little XT about 3-out-of-4.
    Time to step down for real, methinks.
    sidetrack one, BygDaddee and Andrew2 like this.