The Badger Dual Sport Event (WI) Oct 3, 2021

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Sep 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Wick

Wick moose Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a great time at the ride. Thanks to every one that was involved in setting it up. Looking forward to the next one.
    Action and TimCC like this.
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all involved getting this off the ground and helping run things today. Fun to see such a diverse group of bikes attending.
    20211003_124751.jpg 20211003_124646.jpg
  3. Garlockness

Garlockness Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_4641.JPG
    Beautiful area! Everyone was super nice, thanks to those who made it happen!
    Action, slider162, TimCC and 2 others like this.
  4. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Massive thanks to so many people that made this possible! @Cannonshot for having the vision and patience, this wouldn't have happened without you! The Wisconsin DNR for providing the opportunity and dealing with the legal issues. The club members with some fantastic ideas and suggestions. Supporting businesses that helped to satisfy the event permit conditions. The volunteers that gave a weekend out of their busy lives to help make this happen. I can't thank you all enough!

The weather forecast was a roller coaster ride all week long. In the end, it couldn't have been a better day for an ADV ride.

This was definitely a learning experience. We have taken some notes and will strive to improve each and every time so serve the ADV community and to be good stewards to the property.

I am thrilled to hear that so many people were able to enjoy their ride today.

Thank you.
    TheBigH, Action, TimCC and 2 others like this.
  5. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Action, Dangeross, slider162 and 4 others like this.
  6. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    What's a "Rescue Point?"
  7. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It helps emergency responders find you faster. I don't know if these roads have names anymore as it transitions to recreation area land and the roads are allowed to degrade to trails.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  8. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I imagine it is similar to "Safety Zones" during a fire drill. If you work in a certain part of the building and a fire broke out, you would meet at a specific place for a headcount. Being an army base that manufactured explosives and propellants, they would have had meeting points in case there was an emergency. Today they are still used as reference points on the maps. I'm not sure what the long term plan is for the signs.
    davepen likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It is left over from the ammunition plant days. The DNR decided to keep the signs since identifying a location on the property is still useful.

They may be adopting US National Grid signage based on an initiative I brought forward to the State Trails Council some years ago. We already have one county on that system and three others are working on it now.
    Mikeeep, Bultaco206, davepen and 2 others like this.
  10. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    It was good to see you at the ride Cannonshot! Rokklym and I had a fun ride and then continued on to the Crud Run at Leland. We lucked out and never got caught in much weather. It was looking pretty dark for a while there. Stop by the shop if you are in the area. You know where I live. Thanks again for all you do for our sport.
    Cheers. 2HE
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hats off to the Driftless Dual Sport organization for a fantastic day and job well done at the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area. I made the trek from Illinois to be part of this milestone event and had a great time on the trail and conversing with the crowd. That fine looking Bultaco guy let me tag along with him on a couple loops and it is always fun to hear his stories. Special props to the man who spent years in meetings, research and relationship development to make access to this former munitions plant possible, Mr. Cannonshot. I encourage everyone to have a conversation with him sometime about just exactly what it takes to make riding opportunities like this come about. The amount of time involvement and persistence it takes is mind boggling to this simple farmer. There are a lot of groups to deal with that hope if things string out long enough the OHM interest will just go away. That hope is lost with Cannon on task because much like a psycho ex girlfriend, he won't let it go. Thanks Colonel. It was great riding with you and sharing insight on the property and other issues. Oh and I highly enjoyed the brief test ride on your CT 125, what a hoot. This was my first visit to the Baraboo Hills area and what a pleasant visit it was.

IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG

Those kids at Latitude Graphics made some kickin' signage for the event. Well done.

IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    I learned that the property is shared by others.

IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG

There were some DNR staff present and interaction with them was positive. The club was diligent with sound limits and keeping order. I put in four loops and found something different of interest each time. Lot of history within the property and so many times I thought to myself ; "Wish I knew what the story on that building or foundation is" Good reason to come back again and that opportunity would be a great addition to an adventure ride in the Driftless area. I spent the previous night at a nearby family owned campground that was a most enjoyable experience and hiked around Pewit's Nest Natural Area. Turns out right across the highway from the former munitions plant is Dr. Evermor's sculpture park and since I am a sucker for a good sculpture park I had to pay a visit. This is one trippy place and did not disappoint. Old worn out farm equipment is the material of choice for these places and it's sad how I am showing my age because I can identify most every piece used.

20211003_140216.jpg
    TimCC, Doctor Zed, Bultaco206 and 2 others like this.
  12. ElvisOrangutan

ElvisOrangutan n00b

Oddometer:
    Big thanks to Cannonshot and everyone that helped put this together, what a blast. Looking forward to future events.

The grass sections were the highlight for me. It felt British! I can only speak from youtube viewing experience, but it doesn't seem like we get any roads/trails like that across the country. Are there trails in WI or elsewhere that emulate the grass road look and feel?
  13. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Many of these GPS guided rides use forest two tracks. GPS Files Archives - Cannonshot.net
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davepen, holligl and ElvisOrangutan like this.