The Baja and Beyond April 2019 (Arizona to Near Mexico City)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AZTodd, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AZTodd

AZTodd Been riding since cars had fins Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you're not set on Baja, you could ride the mainland down in the Sierra Madre mountains. Stay at elevation to mitigate the low desert heat. The Copper Canyon group of canyons are spectacular. Stop and see inmate TurkeyCreek in Banamichi, ride north (edit: should be south) to Creel, ride down into the canyon and back out, continue south to Guachochi and Parral. Take the side Hwy past Maria del Oro and on down to Durango. etc etc Lots of interesting stuff to ride and see
    CO303 and jimmex like this.
  3. AZTodd

Oddometer:
    Thanks jonz, hummm...got me thinking..of course I have to come back in 6 months for the TIP, I planned to do a mainland ride in the mix one way or another
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeepers , 57 and a GS but now only the first long solo ride ? :y0!Your avatar picture definitely shows the skyline of the new resort/condo hotels of western Pto Peñasco , so that sort of rates as being on the mainland and if not far from AZ it at least did cross the border.
    You have " done Baja" so might as Well run south on the mainland . Start at Agua Prieta and like Jonz said , you can run down to TC's place then take Mex 16 east to the CC . O r you could head east into mountains from Agua Prieta , or even begin from Antelope Wells ( open only 10 to 4 daily) and south directly through Copper Canyon country . Innumerable roads await you .
    What is meant by "light camping "? If it is only a transit ride to your summer place you might as well leave the camping stuff off the bike . There are plenty hotels that can fit in with the GS budget easily. No need to worry about flash floods from distant T-storms in the night , and you have a shower to rinse of the daily sweat and grime
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    You can include Baja in a ride and take a ferry from a couple locations to the mainland. And I love Baja - probably my favorite part of Mexico.

In fall, winter, and spring.

Summer rides on the Gulf of California, not so much. Any you need to be on the Gulf of California to catch one of those ferries.
  6. AZTodd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sjoerd,

Again I love the words of wisdom from the seasoned adventurer. Your are correct in recognizing the Skyline from the somewhat secluded side.

I should have put more details in my plan... As I mentioned I have a summer rental south of Mexico City for at least 6 months I would like to ride the Baja south leisurely as I am in no hurry. Hotel most of the way but plan to have a small tent and sleeping bag with me in case prime locations and conditions arise. I plan to cross at La Paz to Mazatlan and continue on the coast to Zihuatanejo. Then cross the mountains to Taxco, continuing to Lomas de Cocoyoc in Morelos my summer base in the shadow of Popocatépetl.

Hoping to enjoy many trips around that area and even farther south. As my TIP begins to run out I would to like to travel your suggested route through the mainland into Copper Canyon country.
  7. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    San Bernardino Hotel in La Paz
    $350 pesos, secure parking ,warm water ,wifi ,xoxo next store
    It will be on your right ,at 5 de Febrero, across from the Pemex , and the 3 blocks of taco joints before the malecon

I'm in La Paz until May , pm me when you are coming through
    Buy me a beer and I'll tell you about the time I rode from here to Mexico City
    CO303 likes this.
  8. AZTodd

Oddometer:
    Sounds great, will do, should be there around the end of March. I plan to splurge and get the nice ferry cabin, thinking it would be easier to book during the week.
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mainland more fun unless you're on a dirt bike. The ride form A. Prieta down through the Sierra and Barrancas, and on to Parral and DGO, and on to Mazatlan via the Espinazo is some very fun and spectacular riding.