The best 125 trials bike ?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Dirt Dud, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Dirt Dud

Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a novice rider that just wants to have fun on my trials bikes 60 years old 137 pounds . GasGas came out with a 2017 School boy 125 steel wheels , steel forks and not a rieger shock . I can get one for $4500 new . I have a GasGas TXT Pro 14 300 that has more power than I really like and a GasGas2013 250 Factory that is dialed in . It is my primary ride so any other bike just adds to the fun . What are the different 125 s like and why not this inexpense Gasser ?
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    All newer 125's are good. I'd say if you are used to your other GG bikes, stick with a TXT 125. You might be able to find a used one, that is closer in price to a School Boy. I think the cheaper components on the School Boy model will be more apparent after riding your other bikes. Otherwise go for any brand base model, with standard competition components.
    soupbill likes this.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Norman to the courtesy phone...
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Damn two seconds too late!
    jonnyc21, Brewtus and Norman Foley like this.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TRS 125 seems to be the best. But for your wants a 200 Beta would probably be more like you want.
  6. Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    I saw the trials shop has a clean used one but I am intreaged by a 125 engine I have to sell some of my rode bikes first
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    The Beta 200 at the Tryals Shop is my neighbor’s and it just sold. I’ve ridden it and still prefer my Scorpa 125 Factory.
    A 125 is very capable for a novice rider.
    Dirt Dud likes this.
  8. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Urban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an Evo 125 that I started on, and then I got an Evo 250 when my wife wanted to get into trials. I really enjoy the 125, it is mega fun to wring it out up big climbs, the 250 almost makes it too easy. No reason not to get the gasser, but it will be a little tame compared to something like the Scorpa 125 Factory with the trick suspension.
  9. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    The Sherco-Scorpa 125 is quite the runner. Very gutsy and fun for a 125. Surprises people who ride mine, as the motor feels more like a 160 than a 125. I haven't ridden a modern Beta or the new TRS, so I have no direct comparison with respect to them.

Going back and forth a lot with a 250 that is the exact same year and type, I can say the 250 is overall easier to ride. The 125 is fun to ride, but given a choice, I'd rather compete on the 250.

The Beta 200 is just an excellent machine and the perfect choice for people wanting the in between. It is the only in between size, with a long stroke engine. Basically a 250 with a smaller piston.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  10. Ccullins

Ccullins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's kinda the same as asking which 250 or 300 is the best, gonna get a bunch of different answers.

Between my two kids we've had several Beta 125's and they work awesome! Power is really good, my oldest son Ty won the 125 Expert championship when he was a good 50 pounds heavier than his competition on one. My youngest Cole has ridden other kids 125's and always says how his 125 runs better.

They do need to be jetted correctly to get the most out of them though.
    DyrWolf, Norman Foley and jonnyc21 like this.
  11. Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    T
    The difference is that 125 trials bikes are scarce and most people have never owned one . My first new trials bike was a Fantic then a bunch of Betas and now the Gasgas models have been my dominate bike . Now there are even more brands selling 125s in the USA but only GasGas has a lower end bike . Compared to my enduro bikes all the brands are very reliable . Dealers also a part of my what I will buy . And that said the TRS and GasGas would be my primary lineup that I am considering .So if I buy the $4500 17 GasGas and decide to sell it next year how much could I loose $$$$
  12. Ccullins

Ccullins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you already know which way you want to go, which is good.
    I had to look at the GG's, I didn't even know they made three versions! I thought just two like everyone else.

Don't think you'll lose much in re-sale, the last two 125's I sold (Beta's) went in less than two hours. With there being such low volume and parents usually wanting to buy kids used bikes there is high demand.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 1974 Honda TL 125 !
    soupbill and 2whlrcr like this.
  14. soupbill

soupbill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Sherco 125 fits me for modern trials & The Honda 125 for vintage trials

Attached Files:

dmay and Nobade like this.
  15. Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    How much do you weigh ? And do you miss the big bore bikes ?
  16. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden SoupBill's 125 and it pulled my 235lbs around just fine! He was even experimenting with a flywheel weight on it just because it had one. His TL125 is another matter,only someone as skilled as Bill can really make one of those work (-;
    Put myself on a diet just so I might have the 125 option when it's time for a new stick.
  17. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Love the 125s we have an old 2003 sherco its great i dont think i will ever part with it its one of the family old or not and great fun to ride.
    Simple stock answer is ride and get what you like the best, i don't feel any one of the GG sherco scorpa or betas are significantly better all are good and its basically down to the individual preference.
    My preference generally and certainly in the 125s is for shercos and not far behind Betas but you might well prefer the GG given you like them, Try a few different ones see what you like / dislike i know this is a stock sort of answer but its that simple and they are all good.
    soupbill likes this.
  18. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity ...

What attributes to the latest generations performance vs. past and could new be shared with older gens ?

Or just different animals altogether ?

:confused
  19. soupbill

soupbill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    182 lbs. I do miss the big bores a little. But the 125 feels 10 lbs lighter, I came off of a 250 and a 300 before that. With the 125 Gear selection is critical for me anyway.One thing I did notice was it uses a lot of gas.
    Dirt Dud likes this.
  20. Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    Using more gas is to be expected since you would ringing that engine out more . I am putting up a few of my road bikes this week and am getting excited to get one of these 125 bikes . I would like to ride one , I need to go to some events and beg a ride !