The Best Mojave Desert, Apple Valley and Lucerne Valley Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mojave Mutt, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday 1/17/16, small to medium bike ride. Pavement, Powerline Roads, Two Track, Single track, Sand Washes, up hills, down hills. Stands up at 9am, staging will be either Apple Valley or Lucerne Valley.
    RAZR likes this.
  2. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not the Boogie Man...
    4play and RAZR like this.
  3. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I'll be at the "desert house" on Roundup Way this weekend. With a house full of kids and other non-riders I won't be able to ride much, but PM me or stop by if you're going to be in the area and want to take a break, need assistance, etc. etc. I'm at the corner of Roundup Way and Tujunga - about a quarter mile east of where Roundup turns to dirt.

Ride safe and dress warm....
  4. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in Apple Valley maybe 20 minutes from your desert house. Keep me posted when you're in town and have a day to ride.
    This Sunday I'm going to ride from Lucerne Valley down to either Newberry Springs or Ludlow for fuel and lunch before returning to my truck in Lucerne. Fun ride with a mix of fun desert terrain.
  5. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Question for you guys that live out there, ...is there a rock pile similar to crab flats rocks close to the 15,138? I'd like to get some rock practice in on my xr280 in prep for a Moab trip, but would rather not drive the extra hour to Cougar Buttes, and one of my buddies lives in Oak Hills. .anything close? thanks,Chuck
  6. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stoddard Wells area is pretty nasty and rocky. Maybe that will work for you. All square edges and junk. Good training for Moab .
  7. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I don't remember where those rocks and ledges are at Stoddard, been a while, nearly as far as cougar from orange county, guess we will hit cougar up, it's a known quantity,

Thanks
  8. Scorpion Sports

Scorpion Sports (Now with Motowearhouse.com)

Oddometer:
    I would like to join in.
  9. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday Dualsport or the other ride?
  10. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    IN :super
  11. pvt joker

pvt joker Latebird

Oddometer:
    I'll be out at Speedway in Perris Saturday night but pretty sure I can make it Sunday morning.
  12. Scorpion Sports

Scorpion Sports (Now with Motowearhouse.com)

Oddometer:
    Sunday 1/17/16
    Life is good; let's ride!
  13. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great! Charles, Mike, and Scorpion Sports, hope you can all make it. I'm going to do the ride from my house in Apple Valley, it will cut down the drive time for folks and dirt is just 10 minutes away. Need to leave no later than 9am so please be here by 8:30 am with your fuel tank topped off to gear up and prep to roll.
    My plan is go as far east as Newberry Springs for fuel and drinks. I would suggest bringing your own lunch and snacks. The gas station we'll go to has a Mexican/Indian food joint inside but has always looked a little sketchy to me, and I haven't had the guts to try it.
    Basic route is AV to Stoddard Wells, Lucerne Valley Cut Off, Ord Mountains, Camp Rock Road, Rodman Mountains, Kane Wash, Troy Rd., Fuel. Box Canyon, or Silver Bell Mine Rd. Pipkin Cinder Cone, Fry Mountains, North Anderson, Camp Rock Road. Once we start getting close to Cougar Buttes area on the return we'll make the call on the route back to my place based on daylight and what's best for the group at that point. Fuel is available again in downtown Lucerne Valley if needed and its less than thirty minutes the easy way back to my place from downtown Lucerne.
    The route will include most of the typical terrain you find on a desert trail ride including a few long stretches of sand wash. There won't be any long steep technical up hills or down hills. Please have a working headlight and tail light.

It will be chilly in the morning and again in very late afternoon. Mid day looks to be fantastic with 55-60 degree temps. Plan your riding gear accordingly.
    I will PM my address and tel number to those that need it Saturday morning.

Got a great ride planned, see you Sunday!

Glenn
    RAZR likes this.
  14. SpongeRob

SpongeRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Glenn, I'm interested in this if there's room. I have to see if there are any family plans in the works.
  15. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have room . Welcome SpongeRob!
  16. Balancer

Balancer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You sold me with the no long technical uphills. I'm in!
  17. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great!!
  18. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to join the party.

Charles - Want to car pool?
    RAZR likes this.
  19. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The number of riders for this has reached maximum as of midnight 01/14/16. Anyone that posted up that they are in and hasn't received the meet up address please let me know and I will pm my info.
  20. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fuel stop Sunday will be at Circle K Truck Stop, Ft. Cady Road At I-40 in Newberry Springs. You might want to punch that into your phone or GPS in case you get lost/ separated from the group.
    RAZR likes this.