The Best of Baja California - Edventures on the new Honda African Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2018.

1. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get Orsi back to CA now! Choose the fastest route possible. Should have headed back a couple of days ago. She is done, that is quite clear.
    Ducatijim and RedDogAlberta like this.
  2. vortmax

vortmax Sport Tourer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wow, some really cool roads to test the top speed of the Africa with 2 up. A quick run with Orsi on the back will get her adrenaline flowing again...:rofl
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's takes more than one to balance anything. And balance takes practice. Making mistakes will make you better at balancing if you learn from your own mistakes.
    DelHess, VisionPilot, BruceT and 4 others like this.
  4. Bigman2

Bigman2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Long distance road trips with the better half have to be for her not you. I traveled by myself for years, then the wife started to ride with me. You must not think the same from point A to point B. If you do you will not come out on top.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I agree. I made a classic mistake. I wanted to show her the Baja that I know and love. I thought she would love it too, the way I do. But if I had to do it all over again, I would have made it a much shorter trip. At this point, we were 2 weeks into our trip and we only made it 2/3 of the way down the Peninsula. I have made it down to Cabo from San Diego in 12 1/2 hours on my fast sportbike. So for me, Baja is not all that big. But for Orsi, it is huge.
    Lesson learned.
    Next time, more hotels, and more clean bathrooms for sure
    SmilinJoe, VisionPilot and RiderRick like this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Esta Camino as no por alta velocidad.....so says the signs. Going fast is super dangerous in Baja for many reason. One being the animals in the road. We had several close calls with Horses, Cows, dogs, burros and Turkey vultures. So......slow down and make it back alive in Baja.
  7. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Is it what you want? Most people don’t accept change well. Sometimes the road less traveled is too much for some. How much are you willing to change? If the time is right for change then go for it. If not...?

And I really want to see Baja after your photos
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I need to make some changes to find my balance.
    Come ride Baja with me. You'll love it.
    JanSerce, Dick Dastard and Lopburi like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It was about 100 miles to Punta Asuncion, but I knew there would be a hotel there. And good thing, we arrived at Sundown.

[​IMG]

After a good night's sleep, hot shower and coffee, smiles were back

[​IMG]

The hotel was right on the beach and we had the whole place to ourselves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading out of town back to Vizciano

[​IMG]

The main road is not frequently traveled so sand dunes often cover the road.

[​IMG]

Takes a lot of power to cross the sand

[​IMG]

Taking time to have some fun on the dunes

[​IMG]

Riding out on the salt flats

[​IMG]

Things were much better in the morning. We had a lot of ground to cover that day but compared to the last day, it was going to seem short.

x
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    VisionPilot, JanSerce, BruceT and 4 others like this.
  11. southboundb

southboundb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screw that broad. Have fun. Dump her later or not. Her call.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Be nice please. I am as much to blame here.
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    More unsolicited advice . . .
    1) Ride to the nearest airport and fly her home, then hot dog the bike back home and meet her there when you get there.
    2) Get out the credit card and change your objective to a fun trip with her. Pay for it later and learn your lessons.

I gave my wife the 'camping test' early in our dating life. The camping test is critical. It's not about whether she likes camping... it's about how will she handle discomfort and adversity.
    My (then) girlfriend passed the camping test. Not because she enjoyed camping, but because she was polite, put on a happy face, and tried really hard to have a good time and let me have a good time.
    After the test, she let me know she'll never need to do that again. She said it with a smile and without anger.

I don't need her to camp with me or ride with me (even though I would LOVE it). It showed me that she had enough Grit to try new things that would challenge her and handle it with grace. I ended up marrying her without the slightest regret. But I digress...

You're in a losing situation here. Get it over with as quickly and gracefully as you can. The girl is very likely worth keeping as she seems to be a really fun match for you. Just know that you asked way too much of her on this trip.
  14. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    We stayed at the same hotel in Asuncion. Nice quiet place.
  15. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    This ride ended weeks ago... it's not on going, OP posted this quite a while ago.
    NEPAChuy likes this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The camping test :-)
    Just out of curiosity, what other tests did you put your GF through before she graduated to wife level?
    I have a friend who is a bad ass marine but also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He put his GF thru "boot camp".
    He took her to Baja to teach her how to ride a motorcycle and took her on the toughest roads and trails that Baja has too offer. She was so tired that night, I remember her face fell into her plate of food at dinner trying to keep awake. And that night, we chose to camp out despite not having any camping gear. We just slept next to our bikes in our riding gear out in the desert. No blankets, no nothing. I used a rock for a pillow. It was a really cold night near Calls we Trinadad. I tried to snuggle up next to her to keep warm but my friend told me to back off. :-)
    They ended up getting married at that winery in Baja that I showed on the first page or two of this RR. Fast forward 15 years later, they are still married. She is now a model and likes the finer things in life like Channel and Prada.
    Just goes to show you, you can change little things but by the time we get to be an adult, fundamentally, we are who we are.

Oh and btw, I don't have a credit card, atm card or even a bank account. The DMV sees to that. I am pretty much broke these days. Money would solve a lot of these issues. More on that later. I have a few more days and stories to share before I conclude this RR.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    On our way to Bahia de Los Angeles.
    I figured it would take only 5 hours to get there, so we had some time to have some fun along the way.

[​IMG]

Orsi get excited when she sees big Cardon Cacti

[​IMG]

Not much shade in the desert

[​IMG]

Orsi sees a cholla cactus up close

[​IMG]

Back to all smiles again

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Mediocre Man, #1Fan and 19 others like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    EZMoney, Cloud-9, BillUA and 16 others like this.
  19. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good set of updates @flyingdutchman177, looking forward to reading about your stay in Bay of LA :thumb :thumb
  20. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't reckon Ed needs any advice - but I too set great store in always keeping snacks for the missus, and a spare jumper.

Your ride reports are interesting without relationship details.

But putting it all out there for everyone to see, warts and all, is a different kind of interesting. Thanks Ed for making the effort - the lessons you are sharing are good reminders for me and I'm sure to many others.

My wife rides her own bike, and would never be happy as a passenger. This single trait is what drew me to her. But we live a normal life and rarely get out to ride together for more than short day trips.

In some ways I'm jealous of the nomad life. Your honesty reminds us all I think of some of the realities of adventure travel.

good luck on this and any future edventures and thanks for all of your reports.
    forgorin, RiderRick, Lopburi and 2 others like this.