The Best of Baja California - Edventures on the new Honda African Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2018.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    It certainly lends an interesting angle to the trip. I know neither party so who am I to say? I've faced similar tests. I guess it's life.
  2. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Very well said.
  3. pzvt

pzvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whole heartedly agree with this thought and run the same way. Did a lot of traveling earlier in life and was tired of being poor after returning “home”. Thinking (as many do) of reverting to this lifestyle at some point but not returning poor when done. Thanks for keeping us honest. All the best.
  4. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed, been following you for along time......this is not so much advice but thoughts.....you two hooked up and there seems to be some some chemistry there.....always ying and yang to a relationship, give and take....the hardships Orsi is having are not permanent, just temporary, gotta realize that and live in the moment and go with the flow......a true soul mate/unicorn partner would go with the flow even if they don't care for it, knowing their partner cares for it! Just my thoughts.......love you sharing with us thru the years!!
    RiderRick and Bgunn like this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Poor AND homeless.
    It is a big reason why many people don't follow in my footsteps. My brother Rad is going thru the same thing right now.
    Not fun.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    You can tell by the photos, we have our good days and then we have are not so good moments.
    Of course it's hard traveling on a shoe string. And then add rough camping, dirty toliets and long days on the bike, we are both exhausted at the end of the day and often times not in the best mood. And after our mood calms down, we can talk and try to makes things better. It is really so simple as long as both people want to try and make the effort. But when there is no conversation or effort, things make a turn for the worse
  7. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    Just ran across this ride report. Trying to figure out the dates of your trip, but, I think I saw you two on the road back in October. I rode from Austin Texas to Cabo in the second half of October and spotted a 2up red Africa Twin a few times in Baja. In particularly, remember seeing it check into a hotel in Mulege. Was this you? I was on a tan Tiger 800, my buddy on a white/silver 1290SA.

I rode with you on a Chris Haines trip, 7-ish years ago with a group of friends. At the time, your hair was longer and you had a very homely looking girlfriend named Barbie, riding on your backpack!

If this was you I saw, Im really kicking myself for not stopping to say hello.
    fasttortoise likes this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what this tree is called? Usually they look like they are dead. But after a good rain, they turn green with leaves on the branches.

[​IMG]

The Africa Twin acts like it is a big dirt bike offroad and a sport bike on the street.

EZMoney, SmilinJoe, JanSerce and 7 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We never checked into a hotel in Mulege but we did use the showers there about that time.
    Barbie still rides with me - same girl for the past 20 years!
    It would not be Baja without her
    SmilinJoe, JanSerce and VisionPilot like this.
  10. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    You guys are crazy, I like all these, "Oh I pissed her off again" stories.

Keep it up man, Baja is fantastic, we need more Baja!
    RiderRick likes this.
  11. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Didn't mean to insult your girl!! Truly amazing she's still a part of your life : )
    That was my first time back to Baja after the Chris Haines ride that inspired it. Such a great place!
    Cant wait to go back.
  12. Drybones

Drybones It's a Honda w/ DCT

Oddometer:
    forgorin and Lopburi like this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I didn't think you were insulting Orsi.
    But I think you are now insulting me
    LOL
    Yes, she is amazing
    Mediocre Man, JanSerce and Gymbo like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of Baja tours coming up this year. Each one will be different. I plan to do a ride report for each one. The shorter ones will be in the Day Trippin' section and the longer ones here.
    So much to see and do in Baja
    SmilinJoe, JanSerce, Donaldo and 5 others like this.
  16. Drybones

Drybones It's a Honda w/ DCT

Oddometer:
    You could be right... I picked that one because it was taller. Seems like they should be related but by the scientific names they are very different. If the leaves are like these instead of more rounded, then you are right, it's the elephant tree...a huge one!

Attached Files:

17. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Liking the AT for this trip?
  18. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR along with personal experiences traveling with a partner. The bad is I have to wait end of Feb for my experience. Can’t wait!
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, I like the bike. It does well in mild off road conditions and on pavement.
    If you want to tackle the more remote places in Baja, a light weight dirt bike would be a better choice. But two up, It is a great bike for Baja
    JanSerce likes this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Dust in the Wind. Playing on the dry lake bed just outside of the Bay of LA.

Bike is still looking like new

[​IMG]

You don't have this sort of scenery in Hungary. Orsi is so happy, she is doing handstands

[​IMG]

Taking a little break. We are actually ahead of schedule for a change

[​IMG]

Big Passport stamping smiles. Todo bien en Baja California

[​IMG]

Riding in the sand. No problem with the Honda Africa Twin (as long as you stay off the sand hump in the middle of the track)

Amphib, EZMoney, JanSerce and 22 others like this.