The Best of Baja California - Edventures on the new Honda African Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2018.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! I don't remember seeing that dry lake bed as we made our way into Bay of LA - where is it in relation to town? I know it's not east :lol3 :lol3
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's about 10 or 15 miles before you get to B of LA. It's hard to miss.
    Near Aqua Marga. And the road to San Borja.
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Is there a view in Baja that is better than the one coming into the Bay of Los Angeles? I think not!

[​IMG]

Lots of little islands and the biggest island in the Gulf - Guardian Angel Island

[​IMG]

We had dinner at Victoria's at Costa del Sol. They have the best seafood in town. We couldn't finish all the fresh fish, shrimp and squid they served.
    Across the street, there is an abandoned restaurant that we hung out at and drank some cold beverages. What a great view. I wonder why it closed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a good day. A very good day. All smiles!

[​IMG]

This is where we slept. Another abandoned building on the beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That night, Orsi asked me again about having a family together. We were having such a good time that I didn't want to spoil the mood. So I tried to change the subject. But I knew that the issue was going to have to be addressed and resolved at some point.

x
    BruceT, Amphib, EZMoney and 24 others like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guessing it's right around Rancho La Piedra on the E32 map. Imagine we rode past it and didn't even notice...shadows too long by the time we were that close :doh

drylake_outside-bola.JPG
  5. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, I went to 2 wineries about 45 minutes outside Ensenada back in about 2006. The memories that stayed with me from that little outing are how clean they were and how beautiful the grounds were, and that one of them had a small bull fighting ring. How many wineries have you visited down there and have you come across any really good beer?
    Edit to add that at that time they either couldn't or wouldn't export wine the USA. Any idea as to whether or not they are exporting to the US yet?
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  6. Drybones

Drybones It's a Honda w/ DCT

Oddometer:
    No clue where that is exactly ??? Here is the spot I think the dry lake is located.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    ohjimmy likes this.
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    baby shower on the horizon?
    time to lance the wanderlust - it leads everywhere. and nowhere .....
    Aces 6 and Davidprej like this.
  8. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yay smiles again.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have been to about 25 of the wineries in Guadalupe Valley. There are 50 or more now. There are also other valleys like Santo Tomas, San Vicente, Urapan, Tecate and Ojos Negros that also make wine.
    The wines can be average to world class. And there is some money being spent sown there. It is not quite Napa Valley level but it is getting close. I used to go down there 20+ years ago. I could knock on Hugo D'acosta, Victor Torres or Eduardo Liceaga's front door of there house and they would invite me in, pop open a bottle and let me try it. Those days are long gone.

Some of the wines are exported but only in limited quantities. Look on Wine Searcher .com to try and find them in the States.
    Craft beer has gotten really popular as well. I know of at least 5 craft breweries in Ensenada alone. I take my clients to some of them when I do my tours. They are always a hit. And some of the beers are really good.
    Something to look forward to on my next trip down.
    VisionPilot, Cloud-9 and Davidprej like this.
  10. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Good to know you can get something besides Corona or Pacifico now.
  11. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    How does the Af Tw compare to your GS that you put so many miles on.
    Pros & Cons ?
    Thank you for all the effort you have put in on your ride reports.
    What ever the end result you have given Orsi a trip of a lifetime.
    She seems like a very nice girl with a great winning smile ! :-)
    Mediocre Man likes this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    They are both good but heavy bikes for Baja. As I said before, the AT makes for a better dirt bike and the GS does better on the street. But also remember, the AT has knobby tires and a dailed in Precision Concepts Suspension on it.
    I rode the GS recently on the dirt and it just felt big and heavy. The front end didn't give me confidence. I felt like it would wash out. And with all the weight, I don't know if i could save it. But the AT at times felt like I big dirt bike. I could literally jump it into the air and slide it around corners - something I never did with the GS.
    They are both very good bikes. I would probably take the AT because it's lighter.
    But the AT compares more with the GS 800/850 than it does with their 1200.
    So maybe not fair to compare.
    As I also noted, the AT gets bad gas mileage. Something to consider if you like to go fast.
    If you want to explore the remote areas of Baja, use a 400 to 600 cc enduro bike. That is the most fun you can have.
    Amphib, shuswap1, Kona990 and 3 others like this.
  13. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice comparison of the two bikes, riding in the dirt is tough on gas economy whatever bike is ridden, yes? something about softer terrain simply requiring more throttle to get through.

The suspense is palpable re fate of the next Edventure (and will it have a side car/third?). We're rooting for you big guy!
    J
    pceire32 and polarbearrider like this.
  14. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    Getting married changes things a bit, after all it's just a legal document. Kids change everything!
  15. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    understatement of the year!
    polarbearrider and Aces 6 like this.
  16. Bynoid

Bynoid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Ed saying that talking about a family with Orsi would spoil the moment pretty much tells us where this is headed. Hope I’m wrong.
  17. bocutter ed

bocutter ed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It could be a 20 year commitment ... one I would be reluctant to make at his age.
    Burro driver likes this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I think it was the first day Orsi and I met, she told me she wanted a family. That was on the Island of Samui in Thailand. I told her that I didn't see that in my future but I wouldn't rule it out either. For as long as I've been alive, I haven't had the strong desire to have children. But I also wonder if one day I will regret it. So my answer to her has always been, not right now. And her answer was the same too - she wanted kids but she wasn't ready either.
    Those first two days spent together on Samui were magical. I had never fallen for someone so quickly and we so much desire. But then we spent 7 days apart while she went thru her silent meditation. I sort of figured that I would never see her again after a week of reflection. I knew she had a great time around me but I also figured she wanted to be with a man that told her that he definitely wanted kids as well.
    It was 7 long days waiting to hear from her. In the meantime, I had met that other girl from Macedonia. But when I heard from Orsi after her meditaion retreat, she told me she was looking forward to seeing me and being with me again. I was soooooo happy!
    I told the Macedonian girl that I had to say goodbye. She wasn't too happy about it. But I knew Orsi was the one for me. In fact, I had never felt so strongly about a woman in my life!
    When I saw Orsi again, we met up on Koh Tao. I stayed at her place. That first night, we were sitting on the beach. The sun had just sat. And that is when she told me that, in her meditation, she realized that she wanted to have a family more than ever. Hearing that, my heart sunk. I asked her why she wanted to be with me and I felt it was a mistake that she even asked me to come to Koh Tao to be with her. She back pedaled a bit and told me that she wanted to spend time with me and we would just see what would happen.
    That next week, she moved into my bungalow that I had rented on Phagnan. We spent another amazing month and a half together there. I was hooked and in love.
    Fast forward, Orsi turned 40. She had met the couple traveling the Americas in a camper with 3 little kids. And she met my friend who in her 40's decided to have a family and had 4 beautiful girls. Orsi was no longer thinking "maybe" she wanted a family - she wanted it more than ever and didn't want to wait any long.
    She had sprung this on me while we were in Baja. A lot of the time, we were having our issues (as you know). Our issue has not only been "kids". Our big issue has been how we make each other feel when we get stressed.
    I feel like I let her down or disappoint her often. And she gets upset with me. This is never my intention because I want nothing more than to make her happy. And when she gets upset with me, I pull back. I feel like a can't win or do anything right. And this makes me want to give less. And the spiral continues downward.
    The fact is, when everything is good, I want to be with Orsi for the rest of my life. And I would have a family with her. But only if she could make me feel that she wants to be with me - for me. In other words, I just want her to accept me to be myself.
  19. billmaxx97

billmaxx97 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    7 years ago I was 40 Yrs old and had a girlfriend that was 28. Never having kids , She wanted them badly. My kids were were teenagers at the time. Long story short, she moved on and found the love of her life...…….Still has not had any kids. I just became even more selfish with my time and value my extended motorcycle trips way more than I value a relationship...… But that's just me
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Leaving the Bay of LA, we decided to take Hwy 5 back north. This road runs along the Sea of Cortez as opposed to the Pacific side.
    This is the turn off. They have been trying to pave it the whole way but it starts out as a dirt road.

[​IMG]

Of course no visit to Baja is complete without a stop at Coco's corner.

[​IMG]

Coco has lived in this incredibly remote corner of Baja for the last 30 years. He lost his legs due to diabetes I believe. He can be awnry at times but he was a sweetheart around Orsi.

[​IMG]

If I had to do it over, it might have been better to stop here instead of trying to do too much of Baja and head further south as we did. This is beautiful San Luis Gonzaga.

[​IMG]

This is Alfonsina's. A beautiful hotel and restaurant right on the beach. It is perfect (other than it is expensive and they don't have free wifi)

[​IMG]

It would have been nice to just stay here, hang out on the beach by day and drink tequila all night long

[​IMG]