The Best of Baja California - Edventures on the new Honda African Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2018.

1. polarbearrider

polarbearrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crap!!!!! Is it ever!!!
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    People always told me that I would make a great dad. And I believe that is true. Because I would take the task seriously and understand the responsibility that goes with it. I also think I understand the commitment it would take to raise a family in this day and age.
    Orsi does too but she is a forever optimist. I think she focuses on the positive but doesn't always look at the other side of the coin.
  3. chinditone

chinditone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honesty is always the best policy in a relationship, and its natural to want to be oneself and tell one's loved one how things really are with oneself. Paradoxically, it the times when one is feeling really chit, and how one's partner is able to deal with one's feeling really low that accurately shows how much your partner loves you, and you her, and whether the relationship is right and will last. No one is perfect, but love is perfect, and can make relationships magic and long lasting. It does sound like you are both genuinely in love, but that are also both currently in the process of learning how to love each other and actually put that love into action and really care for each other. It is a great place to be in, and is in fact a great and extremely important process of self discovery for both of you. Kids and a family are incredible and wonderful, but I think that love really needs to finish its work and deepen the understanding and trust between you, before you both decide whether or not to tie the knot and have kids. I suspect that there are still a lot more heart to hearts and deep conversations to come, as well as a lot of fun and love, before the FlyingDutchmen becomes the MarriedFamilymanDutchman. It is a wonderful process for both of you - as your pics and commentary illustrate.
  4. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Post #1...

"Chris Haines asked if I wanted to test one of his new Africa Twins, scope out some fun routes and come up with an ideal tour itinerary for the Adventure Bike Tours. Naturally, we jumped at the opportunity."
  5. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Love this report and I know exactly what you mean about shutting down when things aren't going well, and how that exacerbates the problems. As for kids, there is no right time and you'll never be fully prepared for them because you can't even begin to imagine how they change your life in ways good and bad. I have two, grown now, and they mean the world to me. But I'd by lying if I said it was all peaches and cream. It's dirty diapers, debt, sleep deprivation, gnawing your fingernails with worry and anxiety, changing your goals, accepting your limits, etc. For me it was growing up and learning what it really meant to live for someone besides myself, a valuable lesson indeed. I'm just now at the point where I can think about doing some extended moto traveling, at least you've already done that. Best of luck in whatever you two decide.
    DaveWave, SDR82, shuswap1 and 4 others like this.
  6. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report. Relationships are complicated, and one thing I've learned over 48 yrs of marriage is that you both need your own space. Some things you will agree to do together and others not so much. My wife has been a really good sport throughout our marriage and has tolerated my behaviour for a long time, be it horses, sailboats or motorcycles. When we first started riding together, we camped but now if she is coming we motel. If I'm travelling by myself or with the guys, then camping is fine. She has even grown to tolerate a sidecar, and this is with us both 70 ish. She still prefers 2 up as a passenger, but weight & balance are becoming an issue.

Kids are great but you both have to be on the same page with this one. If there are doubts, best to move on as you can't change each other at your stages in life.

I might have more to say as this ride report continues, but I've really enjoyed your report and wish both of you all the best, no matter what the future brings.
    mb300 and bmac like this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Heading north from San Luis Gonzaga was an interesting experience. It really showed the power of nature. Most of the time, the desert is hot and dry. It is hard to imagine it ever being wet there. But the dry washes and canyons were formed by storms that only occur every so many years. And just a couple of weeks before our trip, Central Baja was hit by a one-two punch of devastating storms to hit the area. The first one was Hurricane Rosa. And the next one was Hurricane Sergio - which impacted the beginning of our trip. It is not typical for Hurricane to hit this part of Baja.
    The area around Puertocitos received about 6 inches of rain in about a 24 hour period. That is about what they typically receive on an annual basis. And even more rain fell in the mountains and made its way down to the sea as quickly as it could. This caused wide spread devastation. Many bridges were out. And about 20 miles of road was completely gone! It had vanished under tons of sand, rocks and debris.
    I was so excited to see this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were so many bridges out along the way. It is going to take a long time to repair the damage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the rain brought some much needed water to the desert. What is usually brown and dead was green and alive. I have never seen the San Felipe desert so green!

As you can probably tell by this photo, Orsi is not happy again. We spent a long day trying to get thru on the damaged road. What normally would have taken a half day, took a full day to get to San Felipe.
    There were no airports to fly her home. And even if there was an airport, we had just enough food and money to get back across the border. We had no choice but to push on.

[​IMG]
    Amphib, BillUA, VisionPilot and 17 others like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It is only the 10th day of the year. Bigger surprises to come.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    BillUA, Cloud-9, SavannahCapt and 3 others like this.
  10. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Wow! The devastation is amazing! I was in that same area in 2010 right after a big hurricane and saw similar damage. It is just amazing the power of nature!
  11. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    I'm not offering any advice, just my personal experience. I had 2 kids with my first wife, and then I got divorced and was single for 15 years. Once mine were grown, I knew I didn't want to have any more. When I was 48 I dated a woman who was 33 and she wanted kids. Because I had known her and been friends for 10 years prior to dating and because she was a great catch, I considered it seriously, even though I didn't personally want kids again at that age. I talked to a buddy, who was a little older, who had had his first kid at a later age (47), and his advice was "I wanted kids, because I had never had them, and its still hard. It would be that much harder if you were only doing it for someone else without wanting them yourself." I realized he was right.....that I would resent her eventually if I had kids without really wanting to, just for her, because it would keep me from doing some of the things I wanted to do, and she would resent me if she gave up her dream to stay with me. So we discussed it and decided to go our separate ways but stay friends, as we had been in the beginning. It worked out that a few months later I met the woman who would become my wife. She was 38 and had never had kids, didn't want any, and loves doing adventures with me, plus she is great with my kids and grandkids. We have been married two years now and are still having a great time.
  12. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Looks a lot like the Gulf Coast after hurricane Camille back in 1969.

jdg
  13. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That tree a few pages back is a Torote.

There are a couple of different species, in English it's an Elephant tree. It's my favorite tree out there (in fact, after an epic Baja ramble that included three motos on a panga to ride Isla Santa Margarita, I felt so strongly about my bike that I got the vanity plate, "torote" for it - yes, I'm a kook).

The torote's with the flaky white bark grow the largest.

If you get to Agua Verde again, there is a track out the "back way". The track goes through the arroyo just outside of town and then up the mountain to the town of San Jose de la Noria.

We did it three years ago after we had heard that it had been repaired and graded. It's probably not a good "big bike" dirt road, we all did it on DRZs. If you make it up the road (I don't know the condition now) you can ride back there through some of the most beautiful, untouched canyons that I've been through in Baja. There is so much water back there it blows your mind. The ranches make fantastic cheese which you can pull in and sample (and buy some, don't be a jerk) if you're not afraid to habla espanol. You end up riding out through the "red light" district of Ciudad Corrupcion, I mean, Constitucion.

There is gas at the ranchos - ask nicely.

We can't understand or figure out women. Why try?
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know of this road. I had never done it before. And I wasn't about to suggest it to Orsi at the time. Tempers were at a critical level in Agua Verde. In fact, I don't think Orsi wants to hear those words again (AV). It is too bad because it really was a beautiful place.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Orsi was getting annoyed again at:
    1) Being on the bike so long
    2) The bumpy dirt roads
    3) The hot sun
    4) me
    (not in any particular order)

But I knew a place that was going to be a perfect place to take a break.
    That is Puertocitos Hot Springs
    The hot water comes out in the ocean.
    If you catch the tide wrong, it can either be too hot of too cold.
    But catch it just right, you can find just the right temperature for a nice soak. If you want it colder, move out toward the cold ocean water coming in. Or hotter, then move closer to the rocks.

[​IMG]

Smiles again

[​IMG]

That night, we camped out on the Baja race course near Laguna Diablo. I don't think we spoke a word to each other the entire night. :-(

[​IMG]

The morning didn't start off so well either. The front tire washed out in deep sand while I was making a U turn. Between the two of us, we were barely able to pick the bike up ourselves.

[​IMG]

Then shortly afterwards, the military gave us a surprise inspection. These guys are always professional and there for our protection!

[​IMG]

We passed by the road up to Mike's Sky Ranch.
    Orsi wanted to get home ASAP.

[​IMG]

We crossed the border at Tecate again and we were home later that afternoon.

We ended up doing about 2,500 miles in total.
    Again, thank you Chris Haines for letting us use the Africa Twin.
    I really fell for this bike in the end
    And speaking of the end, that is the end of this story.

And thanks all for following along.
  16. First Gear Feet Down

First Gear Feet Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great flick. As an American who married a European woman, they love camping in the desert. But when the kids came, shitting in a bucket or bushes was no more. But she don’t mind the toy hauler. And both my kids ride. Pic of me and my daughter who was only 3 or 4 there. It’s a good life. Plus, there’s always a free place to stay when going to Europe. Ride on. Your other stories are great too.

Attached Files:

mb300, Amphib, Maximus64 and 5 others like this.
  17. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thx ed hope to read more of your travels in the future best wishes for you and Orsi
  18. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great ride and sharing life!
    J
    RiderRick likes this.
  19. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another awesome ride report ! Thank you for sharing. This one might be the best yet since it is an area within riding distance for all us United Statesians. I hope your report gives more people the confidence to ride Baja, but not enough to spoil it. I am looking forward to your next adventure - wherever that may be. Reports on rides you lead for Chris Haines should make for some good reading too.
    RiderRick likes this.
  20. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Great RR Lalo!
    Thanks for sharing your travels, life & loves.

Your stealth camping is what it is all about, love that you chose a good dinner to a hotel bed (made same choice here).
    Caught between a rock and a hard place, Orsi is a beaut, Hard Place. You sure captured the essence of a relationship during stress.
    My thoughts after 33 yrs of marriage, and 2 great kids 27&30, is that you are never ready for the changes it brings (95% great) to your life. Still with my wife, although a bit challenged again in semi-retierment. Repeat "Never-Ready". I'm sure the right decision will evolve, wish you luck either way. Wish I could tell you what to do (as many others do), but my only wish is for the best of times for you.

Thanks again for taking me along.
    Mike B.
    Downey, CA
    SDR82, shuswap1, NSFW and 3 others like this.